Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What merits more research funding?
Cancer 39 69.64%
AIDS 2 3.57%
They both should be funded equally 14 25.00%
I don't know 1 1.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 07:54 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
No offense I think this is a ridiculous question. They are both awful disease that need to be cured, need the financing and the research.
Really. This is like "which of your children do you choose to let live?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 04:57 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCBGirl View Post
Breast cancer is the only cancer I ever hear about, seems to get huge portion of funding.
I know. With a 5-year survival of 89%, maybe the funding should be increased for brain cancer, which has an equivalent rate of less than 40%.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:42 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I know. With a 5-year survival of 89%, maybe the funding should be increased for brain cancer, which has an equivalent rate of less than 40%.
Cancer is a very broad illness, and more difficult to find a cure. If you had to choose between the too since AIDS/HIV is a virus it is more conceivable to find a cure.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Both need more funding. You should have asked: Which needs more funding - medical research or extra territorial imperial wars like Iraq and Afghanistan?

Old 01-12-2010, 08:36 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
In the end much of the funding cvomes from indivdual doantions i thsi country ;so Cancer will be the one getting thwe mjority. That is not up to a vote or government.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:25 PM

267 posts, read 1,360,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
The Ryan White situation (presumably an "innocent" victim) was before blood in the U.S. was routinely tested. The woman with the dentist was very questionable- not at all clear that her story was true.
Back in the 80s and well into the mid 90s many didn't believe Ryan White was an "innocent" vicitm as a rather large number of people from rock bands like Guns & Roses and AC/DC to TV preachers to Mike Huckabee believed that White had got HIV/AIDS by hanging around the gay bathhouses of Indianapolis ( one of the handful of cities that allows them ) even during his pre-teen years. I can remember seeing AC/DC back in 1988 in Denver and they were telling Ryan White "bareback" jokes right on stage and a few years ago while running for President somebody had brought up Mike Huckabee's comments about White from so many years back, Huckabee admitted his error and promised to say he was sorry to Ryan White's family but I am not sure if he ever did but looking back, so strange. The Indy bathhouse angle..all one had to do was check their records to see if Ryan White was ever admitted in ( I am sure these types of places do background checks, I know in the 80s it was the law in Denver in regards to their bathhouses both gay and straight so I am sure it was the case with Indy too )..instead people "assumed".....

The woman and the dentist..found this...
Kimberly Bergalis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by billybobwv; 01-12-2010 at 01:37 PM..

Old 01-12-2010, 07:18 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
While I believe both need to be funded, I feel the need to defend AIDS research after reading some very narrow minded posts.

Since AIDS is a virus, it is more likely that a cure or vaccine will be found rather quickly if more funds were made available.

AIDS is a transmitted disease; whereas, cancer isn't contageous.

Whoever says AIDS is preventable better hope they never end up in a situation where they discover that it's not 100% preventable.

When posting statistics, think globally and quit just looking at only the United States statistics. There are areas of the world were AIDS outnumbers cancer deaths.

Cancer has been researched for eternity, and sometimes I wonder if anyone even wants to find a cure. It would put a lot of industries out of business.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:43 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Dr. Sebi in Honduras has DOCUMENTED PROOF that his treatments have cured more than one case of HIV and full blown AIDS. But you see, Dr. Sebi is a little eccentric, a little "out there" and so he does not get the credibility as a healer that he deserves.

Conventional medicine will not open its eyes to cures unless they fall within strict guidelines. They do not care if people are healed or cured if it does not come from a conventional medical doctor. They will not accept or listen to any other concept. And so MILLIONS of people die because the American Medical Association is so stubborn and arrogant that they think that no one else on earth can cure or heal except them. They would not even accept if God did it, unless He had a medical license.

20yrsinBranson
There is NO cure for AIDS.....

There is NO magic bullet for cancer.....

The AMA controls NOTHING....the majority of practicing physicians do not even BELONG to the association....

IF there were a cure for AIDS it would be KNOWN.....if there were a magic bullet that could cure "cancer" (despite the fact that cancers are different...different causes...different treatments) it would be KNOWN...

There is NO CONSPIRACY to deny treatments that ACTUALLY work....

"Dr" Sebi is a quack and he has NOT documented ANYTHING......he has certainly NOT found a cure for AIDS.....he is a fraud and a charlatan and should be in jail

Old 01-12-2010, 07:59 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I was thinking this as well when I was reading mameacho's post. How much do you hear about melanoma? Leukemia is starting to get more press, but how much do you hear about it?

When the Susan B Koman foundation started, I remember it being a very small group of women who founded it, and explaining to me what it was. I thought how wonderful they were doing this. Now look at it take off.

Anyone can do this, if you find something passionate, help start something fantastic, you don't choose. I do fundraising for leukemia because it is close to my heart and have raised over $5000.00. Of course now with my sister, I will do more, create more.

Currently I am running for my dad who has Alzheimer's and raising money for the Alzheimer's Association. Instead of debating who deserves something more, do something about what it close to your heart, bring awareness, raise money, make a difference.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:10 PM

49 posts, read 31,257 times
I may be unpopular for saying this, but I feel that far more effort should be put into curing cancer. Cancer can literally strike anyone, regardless of your health or age at the time. In that sense, it is a very frightening illness. AIDS, while incurable and horrible in itself can at least be avoided by not engaging in unprotected sex. Of course, I am not dismissing AIDS and I am not saying that finding a cure is not important, but cancer research should be top priority IMO, for the reasons I've stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness