Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 01:31 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,371,184 times

Advertisements

old_cold, what is your daughter taking now? Did she take other meds along with Humira and Methotrexate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 08:28 PM

25 posts, read 74,624 times
Well, I decided I'm not going to go on Humira for a while, I need more conversation about it. My husband is a retired pharmacist, he looked up the risks etc. But ultimately the decision is mine. Regarding Reclast, if I get approval from my insurance company and know what the expense is, I may just do that one. I have Osteo and already lost 2 inches (I went into shock!!!) I was 5'10" now I'm 5'8". This has all happened to me in the past 2 months, I think I'm just still in a whirlwind. Methotrexate is affecting me as I am snappy and moody at times, I do have minor side effects from Prednisone as well.

Yea, Jess5, he seems to think I'm in a flair up right now and things will subside?! I'm not sure either. Each time he tells me he's putting me on another med, my question is Do I need to stay on this the rest of my life? And he seems to answer no just a few years. I haven't wrapped my brain around that one yet. I'm glad I found this site so we can go onward and help one another with things.

I mentioned clinical trial to my husband, he said I'm afraid to take Humira and you want to have a drug tested on you? He's right. I just keep praying for wisdom.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:25 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,371,184 times
I look at it like this, when I entered into this clinical trial over 4 years ago, I was extremely desperate. There is no way I could have lived with that pain much longer. I wasn't functioning, needed help with everything I did. I was in so much pain, I couldn't even think straight. I would have tried anything for some relief. It was a double blind trial, I got a placebo the first month, and had gone downhill so much in that one month that my Rheumy immediately put me into the "escape" part of the trial. I could tell a difference with the very first infusion.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:19 PM

Update 3/29/10 Have been holding fast with Methotrexate, Folic Acid, Plaquinal, coming down on Prednisone down to 6 right now (changes every 5 days). Scheduled for Reclast on 4/13. I RA weakness and some pain, no joint damage or anything Thank God. I do get week long headaches though, I think it's all the meds. I take a cane along shopping as I can't stand or walk for long periods of time. Have hip pain, but I had that for about 6 months now, I was diagnosed with RA in December. Oh yes they added Talasecemia to my list of maladys. Yikes!

Old 03-30-2010, 06:09 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,662,411 times
A friend of mine is taking exactly what you are taking for RA. He was diagnosed around 1995. Since then he has done quite well on the medication and has reduced the prednisone and plaquinal. Just had a check up and the Doc said it was in remission. Best he has ever felt. He quit eating a lot of sugar and wonders if this was the main problem. His regime included: Turmeric, gin soaked raisins, eliminating a lot of sugar and salt from his diet. He swears this made a huge difference. Eating red meat and pork also seemed to affect him. I hope you find relief.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:49 PM

Update from my original post. It is now July, I went off Methotrexate 3 weeks ago per the rheumatologist, because my arms were becoming numb, I had leg pain everynight, I was weak and then this numbness occured.

Even though Methotrexate initially smashed the RA along with Prednisone, it started doing me harm.

Well I feel like a new person, no more pain in my legs, numbness in my arms, no more walking with a
cane when I go out. I plan on seeing the rheumatologist in October, or sooner if symptoms come back. He'll probably put me on Embrel then. It's not the first time I've had a allergic reaction to a drug!!

I had the Reclast for Osteo in April, I think it's working, I have strong fingernails for the first time in my life.

I'm praying that this new feeling I have of returning to "normal" lasts. The doctor said this sometimes happens to about 30% of people diagnosed with RA.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:12 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieJoe View Post
Anyone ever take Humira? I have RA and the doctor wants me to take it? Does anyone know what the cost would be? And how much do you take monthly? (I may have to do everyother week, I think.) Same about Reclast for Osteo, anyone know what the cost of that IV treatment runs? Just need a ballpark so I can brace myself.
)

My sister's first biologic was Enbrel (which stopped working), Humira was next. She didn't react well to it after the first few doses, so she's now on Cimzia (sp?) which she loves. This was after methotrexate and Imuran.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness