Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2010, 06:30 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

In the fall I had both kinds of flu shots but this past week I certainly have been having flu like symptoms. I thought it was just a bad cold but I have had body aches, fever and chills so bad I dressed like a mummy wrapped in a blanket with the thermostat at 70 and I still was cold to the bone. All this lasted about 5 days. I feel somewhat better today but had belly problems last night and this morning while I haven't eaten anything unusual.

Any comments would be welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 07:07 AM

1,057 posts, read 2,011,707 times
Unfortunately, you can. The flu shot protects you from the most prevalent strain(s) of flu in the current year. There are many influenza virus subtypes, and you may have been infected with one of those.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:08 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,983,568 times
Of course you can... the flu shot is not anywhere near 100% effective, and only covers the strains that were included in the shot. There are also lots and lots of "flu like illnesses" that are not influenza that you are still susceptible to.

Hope you feel better soon!

Old 01-16-2010, 07:39 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Not to mention that the flu strains change as they move from person to person. That's why it's important to still wash your hands often even after getting the flu shots.

You could have something other than the flu. It could have been a cold that has becomea sinus infection or bronchitis.

You should see a doctor. Flu's don't start like the common cold but start suddenly. Sounds to me like you had a cold that turned into a bacteria infection.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:26 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
thanks all, I'm feeling better now but I swear I had such bad chills I thought my teeth would chatter right out of my head. so maybe I did have a kind of flu but it was short lived.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:07 AM

502 posts, read 1,251,830 times
Unfortunately, one can still "get the flu" despite having been vaccinated. Individuals vary in their ability to produce antibodies to vaccines, so vaccines are not 100/% effective for 100% of the population. The flu is also very adept at mutating quite quickly.

And, as was mentioned by others, many other viruses can mimic influenza.

On the upside, if you are vaccinated and still succumb to influenza, it is likely to be less severe than had you not been vaccinated.

Glad you are feeling better!

Old 01-17-2010, 03:00 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Yes...one of the many reasons I see the flu shot as a waste of time. (I don't have kids to worry about infecting or smearing their paws all over myself stuff with school germs)

Old 01-19-2010, 01:34 PM

746 posts, read 3,499,662 times
As others have pointed out, the flu shots only protect against the most likely viruses, and others are out there as well. And flu shots don't come with any guarantee. To expect 100% protection is unrealistic.

But given the alternative, to be vulnerable to all the various forms of the virus out there on phones, railings, shopping cart handles, and the like, it is better to do what you can to minimize the likelihood of playing host to one of the nasty bugs.

I have taken the flu shot every year for at least a dozen years, and although I have had a cold most years, I have not had the flu. Knock on wood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness