Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 09:00 PM

7,055 posts, read 12,561,737 times

Advertisements

Wonder if the person with acne ever consulted with a dietitian or nutritionist?

Some acne conditions can be cleared through diet--eliminating soft drinks & fried foods such as fries, pizza, chips, and burgers, avoiding high-fat foods like cheese, ice cream and whipped cream, and starting to drink lots of water. Lots of veggies, fresh fruit and whole foods versus processed loaded with additives.

Raging hormones take another approach...over the counter medications will do little to help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 09:15 PM

192 posts, read 615,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I had acne on and off as a kid, tho, not as bad as some. I grew out of it. Now that I'm getting older I'm developing malasma. Joy! /sc
I actually was looking on amazon last night for random stuff, one thing led to another, and I ended up clicking on this product that is a skin whitening herbal soap...at first, all I could think about was michael jackson...hah, sorry! Seriously, though. But I was curious, so I clicked. I read the reviews for it, and everyone gave positive feedback...someone even gave 5 stars for cleaning up their melasma. You should look into it, if you're feeling self conscious about it...worth a shot. =)

Original Likas Papaya Skin Whitening Herbal Soap

Old 01-18-2010, 09:16 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,329,430 times
One of the best treatments for acne is a mixture of tea tree oil and aloe vera extract. Find them in a health food stores and mix together, apply topically twice a day. Warning: tea tree oil smells nasty.

Using Aloe Vera internally will also improve condition of your skin.

And as others mentioned, continue drinking lots of water, eat lots of green leafy vegetables, take omega 3s in the form of fish oil. Stay away from simple carbs, chocolate, sugar in general.

It's worth it to see a dermatologist. In severe cases, chemical peel is needed (although I don't like any chemical treatments, but sometimes desperate needs call for desperate measures).

Old 01-18-2010, 09:37 PM

5 posts, read 27,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkt View Post
you guessed right
That's great, really. You'r not like some, who seem to treat me like a freak ...
For what it is worth, let me share a little story - I met thig guy when I was 20, he was 21. To this day I can not understand how did it happen that I did not notice his bad acne when we met. We started going out and 6 months later (once I felt comfertable to do so) I mentioned that he should probably go to a dermatologost. Not because it bothered me but because I saw haw hard he tried to get rid of it with over-the-counter medication. To make a long story short, the doctor put him on Accutane. Yes, it has lots of side effects but we educated ourselves and decided to go with the treatment. It lasted for 5.5 months and ... no more acne! Thankfully he didn't have any major side effects either. Now, seven years later we are happilly married

To the original OP - people who care about you or care to get to know you will not treat you like a freak because of acne. Also, keep your hands off your face ! Eventhough my hubby has no acne he has many scars from picking and touching his face.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:38 PM

7,055 posts, read 12,561,737 times
Came across this interesting report from an individual who worked with a dermatologist and also did his own research. He found his acne outbreaks were directly related to...sugar. Makes for fascinating reading...

Acne Prevention & Control

Old 01-18-2010, 09:48 PM

271 posts, read 781,980 times
I dated a guy who had acne...it wasn't severe but it didn't bother me really. I had acne when I was in high school. I would get zits on my face but I had acne really bad on my back and I spent a lot of my teenage years wearing sweatshirts to hide them. Then I started Accutane and it cleared up all of my acne and now at age 26, I don't have a problem with acne or zits at all. Now I just wash my face twice a day, once before bed and once in the morning. I use mild face wash. I am curious if you have tried Accutane? Despite the side effects if nothing else has worked I definitely think it is worth a try.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:26 PM

745 posts, read 1,641,935 times
YOu have to stop eating all sugary products. That would include alcohol.
My son went thru this. 2 weeks off the sugar and he began to clear up.

YOu are what you eat.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:35 PM

1,422 posts, read 3,430,745 times
i've been reading all the posts on here and my poor 20 year old daughter who only as of maybe 1 year ago started to cystic acne,its so bad they look like welts on her face,and she's so beautiful and we have tried everything,our pharmacist even recomended 1 part bleach to 3 parts water and apply with a cotton ball very lightley,she did this for a week,nothing. now we are trying the pill. she just started less than a month so far nothing. when i say we tried everything we did. nothing has worked as of yet. even changing her diet,zinc.fish oil,vitamins. nothing. i feel so bad cause it looks like it may scar her face. so if anyone has anything else to offer we will try.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:20 AM
Tkt Tkt started this thread

44 posts, read 152,526 times
I decided to go to the doctor not long ago, and he prescribed accutane. At first, I was frightened by the many possible side-effects, even if rare. I decided to not to use it, and just let it heal naturally.

Well, about a week ago, I discovered what people truly think of me ... They talk about me, calling me the worst things, like 'hideous freak". So I started taking the pills, hoping it will get better soon ...

But I don't even want to go to school anymore, I don't feel like doing anything, I'm becoming completely depressed ...

I figure, if accutane doesn't help either, I might as well end it.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:15 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,380,432 times
TKT, I felt the same as you. My doctor called Accutane my "smile finder." She said up until my 2nd or 3rd month on Accutane, she'd literally never seen me smile. I look back at all the stuff I missed out on, and I let myself get upset over it. Still. Now I'm 35. I wish I'd taken Accutane in high school, but we had to try all sorts of antibiotics beforehand. I know this will get better for you. Please give the Accutane a good 2 months. One day all the zits will literally just raise up slough off and be gone. For the first time, people asked me if they could touch my skin. And please keep in mind that if you continue to be depressed on Accutane, you need immediate help. It has no side effects for some, and serious side effects for others. Hang in there. Life will get better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness