Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 09:41 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkt View Post
I decided to go to the doctor not long ago, and he prescribed accutane. At first, I was frightened by the many possible side-effects, even if rare. I decided to not to use it, and just let it heal naturally.

Well, about a week ago, I discovered what people truly think of me ... They talk about me, calling me the worst things, like 'hideous freak". So I started taking the pills, hoping it will get better soon ...

But I don't even want to go to school anymore, I don't feel like doing anything, I'm becoming completely depressed ...

I figure, if accutane doesn't help either, I might as well end it.
Ok don't say that, please.

I have personally seen Accutane work miracles. Like I said my cousins skin was really, really bad..she didn't want to go to school either.

Just give the medicine some time to work and get back to us and let us know how you are doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 06:26 PM

631 posts, read 2,444,963 times
I had it so bad as a kid. My mother would take me to a dermatologist once a week. I took meds, the dry ice and light therapy, was on a strict diet, all the face stuff. It didn't help, just kept it from getting worse.
Then once she took me to a Dr. in Ok City(1 state away) That dr. wrote me a prescription of something, I used one bottle and was cured forever. I'll get 1 zit a month is all and it's no big deal.
I wished I knew what she gave me but it was magical!

Old 03-04-2010, 11:34 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
There have been many good options for acne. for years. I suggest seeing a dermatologist. It is an infection and can be cured. seems stress can also aggravate it. I did have it and it is a really traumatic experience. It is hard to picture yourself without it.... even after 30 years of not having it. No one should live with it. I suggest mentioning that a friend of yours (me) sought help with a dermatologist and it worked. It wasn't expensive and easy.

Raging hormones didnt help it either....

Old 03-05-2010, 12:37 AM

11 posts, read 24,781 times
Coming from someone who battled acne for 8 years and now has flawless skin:

• Consider Accutane. It worked amazing for me. However you must be very careful. Get regular blood tests. Only use specific kind of soap prescribed by your dermatologist (I used Tersaseptic) and nothing else. Do not tan and drink at-least a liter of water a day to flush out your liver on a regular basis. I also recommend a good green smoothie drink in the morning to help your system detox regularly.
  • Neutrogena has a good facial scrub on the market that has microbeads (removes dead skin cells also known as dermabrasion), salicylic acid (cleans out pores using a fairly gentle beta-hydroxy) and grapefruit extract (known for being a gentle anti-bacterial / antioxidant) in it. Only use it once a day.
  • Always go to bed with clean skin. Make sure your sheets and pillow are clean. Consider having your window open a crack to get some fresh air on your skin.
  • Resist the urge to use lotions / moisturizers. The skin is an organ and shouldn't have chemical layered on it all the time.
  • tandaskincare.com sells a blue / red light system used to treat acne / ageing skin. You have to use it often to see results but it definitely works. I purchased mine through my dermatologist but you can probably also buy it online.

Last edited by AlvinC; 03-05-2010 at 12:45 AM..

Old 03-05-2010, 12:46 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I had it but not terribly. I went through a phase where I had cystic acne on my forehead too, that was weird. In my early 20's it mostly went away thanks to BC pills, but I was still plagued by the monthly breakouts, which were usually just one or two but sometimes they were huge. I fought it with Neutrogena skin cleanser, a salicylic acid toner, and benzoil peroxide. Occasionally I'd use glycolic acid instead of the salicylic, just to switch things up. I still use all these and now I'm over 50 but my skin doesn't know that.

My son had infant acne that never actually went away, his skin was like sandpaper, and I knew it was going to blow up when he became a teen...and it did. Fortunately it didn't seem to bother him too much and he used my method with some success but keeping his face clean, washing it every night, was the biggest help. At 19 he still breaks out some but it doesn't get to him and you can barely notice it.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,083 times
CARAMEL COLORING (an artificial additive) which is found in many foods and drinks is what caused my very painful and embarrassing cystic acne. Once I eliminated carmel coloring from my diet my skin cleared up immediately. Read food labels and you will be surprised to see how so many food and drink products contain CARAMEL COLORING, ex. Pepsi, Coke, Ginger Ale, all Entenmann's bakery foods, dark brow sugar, Frosty's chocolate drink from Wendy's, certain salad dressings, certain ice creams, certain soups, Hungry Jack original syrup, pumpernickel bread, Chick-fil-a condiment Honey Roasted BBQ Sauce, Stouffer's frozen lasagna with meat & sauce, Quaker Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars, Post Honey Bunches of Oats cereal, flavored coffee creamers, just to name a few. To avoid carmel coloring I try to use pure foods, ex. 100% pure maple syrup and I make my own salad dressing using pure vinegar and oil. When eating out I avoid foods that are brown or in a brown sauce as they probably contain carmel coloring. If I want soda, I only drink Sprite!! I have beautiful skin now that I avoid any foods with this harmful, artificial additive.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:52 AM

189 posts, read 326,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zccpg79 View Post
CARAMEL COLORING (an artificial additive) which is found in many foods and drinks is what caused my very painful and embarrassing cystic acne. Once I eliminated carmel coloring from my diet my skin cleared up immediately. Read food labels and you will be surprised to see how so many food and drink products contain CARAMEL COLORING, ex. Pepsi, Coke, Ginger Ale, all Entenmann's bakery foods, dark brow sugar, Frosty's chocolate drink from Wendy's, certain salad dressings, certain ice creams, certain soups, Hungry Jack original syrup, pumpernickel bread, Chick-fil-a condiment Honey Roasted BBQ Sauce, Stouffer's frozen lasagna with meat & sauce, Quaker Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars, Post Honey Bunches of Oats cereal, flavored coffee creamers, just to name a few. To avoid carmel coloring I try to use pure foods, ex. 100% pure maple syrup and I make my own salad dressing using pure vinegar and oil. When eating out I avoid foods that are brown or in a brown sauce as they probably contain carmel coloring. If I want soda, I only drink Sprite!! I have beautiful skin now that I avoid any foods with this harmful, artificial additive.

Some folks will think this is hogwash, but I can also say that I struggled with painful cystic acne and after doing a strict elimination diet, I too have found that artificial sweeteners were the culprit. I cut out eggs, soy, dairy, wheat, peanut butter, all artificial sweeteners and any food with more than 5 grams of sugar. As you can tell, I was desperate, I'd been to the dermatologist, been put on antibiotics for 3 months and nothing...no improvement. I also had seemingly unrelated stomach issues off and on.

I slowly added the foods back in and FINALLY figured out that the Splenda and Coke Zero I was drinking to try and cut down on calories was actually harming me. I just use plain old raw sugar now, no diet foods or drinks. When I do drink a soda, I too also only drink Sprite.

To anyone suffering with acne, take a very close look at your diet. See what happens. Thank you for your post Zccpg!

Old 05-09-2016, 04:45 PM

2 posts, read 3,004 times
is that really true about the caramel coloring ? I wonder because I drink Pepsi all day long and now have severe acne that won't improve . I am going to eliminate caramel coloring and drink Sprite instead I'm just wondering if anyone knows who the best acne dermatologists anywhere near or in Pittsburgh are I'm so distraught about my skin I don't know what to do. Thank you very much

Old 05-09-2016, 05:04 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
I drank sodas as a young person and ate all the crappy foods we're hearing about today that are really no good for us. Gluten is one of them. Today, I can't understand why people still drink that soda stuff.

My grandgirl who is 19 and had some battles with acne for a few years FINALLY got off gluten and her skin is so beautiful now. She drinks no sodas, she does drink a lot of clean water and got rid of gluten.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:11 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
Retin-A works wonders. Also has the added benefit of helping to stave off aging of skin. A dermatologist can prescribe it. The only side effect it has is you must use sunscreen over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness