Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2010, 10:49 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times

Advertisements

About time say I.......
"The Food and Drug Administration is working to lift the smokescreen clouding the ingredients used in cigarettes and other tobacco products.

In June, tobacco companies must tell the FDA their formulas for the first time, just as drugmakers have for decades. Manufacturers also will have to turn over any studies they've done on the effects of the ingredients."

News from The Associated Press (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_FDA_TOBACCO_INGREDIENTS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TE MPLATE=DEFAULT - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 11:34 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,727,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
About time say I.......
"The Food and Drug Administration is working to lift the smokescreen clouding the ingredients used in cigarettes and other tobacco products.

In June, tobacco companies must tell the FDA their formulas for the first time, just as drugmakers have for decades. Manufacturers also will have to turn over any studies they've done on the effects of the ingredients."

News from The Associated Press (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_FDA_TOBACCO_INGREDIENTS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TE MPLATE=DEFAULT - broken link)

Good!!!

Old 01-18-2010, 12:37 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
Yes, it is about time but I am not waiting for the study which will probably contain more coverups. I'm switching to roll your own which doesn't contain all the chemicals that premades do and its a lot cheaper if you use the right stuff.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Yes, it is about time but I am not waiting for the study which will probably contain more coverups. I'm switching to roll your own which doesn't contain all the chemicals that premades do and its a lot cheaper if you use the right stuff.
One of the really bad things about any non-cigarette tobacco's is that even they have chemical added to them but ,IMO, to a lesser degree. Pipe tobacco,RYO, oral tobacco's and all.

Lot of the ingredients in food, clothing, Etc. all have chemicals today that are either natural ,or added, that impact our health that either shorten our lives or make us sick when we should not be. Tobacco is the last hold out that needs to lay it on the table so that we all can see what's in them to help us all make better choices as to what we do or don't do. Pure tobacco by itself is strong enough but ,again IMO, not nearly as harmful as the adulterated products sold everyday.

FWIW, as a casual pipe smoker it is my opinion that more pure tobacco's will lessen,but not eliminate, the health impact on those who enjoy a good pipe or quality cigar once in awhile. Cigarettes ,IMO, are all but hopeless in this regard.

There is a dirty little secret that happened with Tobacco in the early part of the 20th century that allowed the Tobacco companies to hide the ingredients for so long. Time now to correct that........if the FDA will.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:22 PM

American spirit makes organic loose tobacco that is chemical / additive free.
As are all of their cigarettes and some are organic.
(Or you can get the "real deal" ... Ceremonial Nicotiana Rustica Bundles)
What i'd like to know is whether or not American Spirit is being honest about the treatment of the papers since the new regulation.
According to them, there are just 3 little rings down the length of the cigarette and that the fire retardant "agent" is just a seaweed derivative and bound with corn starch.
I want to know if this is truly so.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
American spirit makes organic loose tobacco that is chemical / additive free.
As are all of their cigarettes and some are organic.
(Or you can get the "real deal" ... Ceremonial Nicotiana Rustica Bundles)
What i'd like to know is whether or not American Spirit is being honest about the treatment of the papers since the new regulation.
According to them, there are just 3 little rings down the length of the cigarette and that the fire retardant "agent" is just a seaweed derivative and bound with corn starch.
I want to know if this is truly so.
The hard truth is that until the FDA mandates truth in advertising for all/any tobacco sellers any claims are suspect therefore untrue.

While the American Spirit line has made much of "organic" there is nothing at all to back that claim up. I can tell you this....if you were to smoke a pure all tobacco cigarette of home grown tobacco your eyes would roll back in your head and you'd cough for a week pure tobacco can be THAT strong!!!

I tried some home grown pure Kentucky tobacco in my pipe once to quickly learn that one pipe a day is MORE THAN ENOUGH!

Old 01-18-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
The hard truth is that until the FDA mandates truth in advertising for all/any tobacco sellers any claims are suspect therefore untrue.

While the American Spirit line has made much of "organic" there is nothing at all to back that claim up. I can tell you this....if you were to smoke a pure all tobacco cigarette of home grown tobacco your eyes would roll back in your head and you'd cough for a week pure tobacco can be THAT strong!!!

I tried some home grown pure Kentucky tobacco in my pipe once to quickly learn that one pipe a day is MORE THAN ENOUGH!
They contract directly with small, independent farmers and the tobacco (the tobacco in their organic cigarettes ... all are without additives but only some are organic) is certified as organic under the USDA’s National Organic Program (NOP).
So our wonderful government "backs the claim up" and i trust NOP before the FDA.
And yes, i'm sure the tobacco you speak of would do me in ... since i'm on my way to quitting, i'll pass.
I used to roll my own when i was in my 20's ... with very strong tobacco (not that which you speak of however) and i coudn't even do that at this point.
I'm kinda sick of tobacco truth be told.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
They contract directly with small, independent farmers and the tobacco (the tobacco in their organic cigarettes ... all are without additives but only some are organic) is certified as organic under the USDA’s National Organic Program (NOP).
So our wonderful government "backs the claim up" and i trust NOP before the FDA.
And yes, i'm sure the tobacco you speak of would do me in ... since i'm on my way to quitting, i'll pass.
I used to roll my own when i was in my 20's ... with very strong tobacco (not that which you speak of however) and i coudn't even do that at this point.
I'm kinda sick of tobacco truth be told.
All well and good. Good luck on your exit from tobacco if that's what you want.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
All well and good. Good luck on your exit from tobacco if that's what you want.
Well, it's what i absolutely need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness