U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-22-2010, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,955 posts, read 18,215,224 times
Reputation: 7193

Advertisements

This premise applies across the entire food chain believe it or not.

"The premise here is simple: it may not be tobacco that's killing all those smokers. Has anyone else noticed that the Surgeon General's warnings never mention tobacco - only smoking? Mod cut: copyright violation
pesticides - the real killer in tobacco products (http://home.ktc.com/bdrake/pest.html - broken link)

Last edited by Viralmd; 01-22-2010 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: TWO sentences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2010, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
2,903 posts, read 11,666,514 times
Reputation: 1821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
This premise applies across the entire food chain believe it or not.

"The premise here is simple: it may not be tobacco that's killing all those smokers. Has anyone else noticed that the Surgeon General's warnings never mention tobacco - only smoking? Mod cut: copyright violation
pesticides - the real killer in tobacco products (http://home.ktc.com/bdrake/pest.html - broken link)
Thank you.
Good link and yeah, if you're gonna smoke, at least smoke organic!
Why any smoker at this point would do otherwise is a mystery although there is a strong attachment to brand and i think a weird kind of addiction to those additives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 02:00 PM
 
5,334 posts, read 11,505,109 times
Reputation: 13119
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Thank you.
Good link and yeah, if you're gonna smoke, at least smoke organic!
Why any smoker at this point would do otherwise is a mystery although there is a strong attachment to brand and i think a weird kind of addiction to those additives.
The real mystery is why any smoker would smoke....period...

Organic does NOT equal safer....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
2,903 posts, read 11,666,514 times
Reputation: 1821
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
The real mystery is why any smoker would smoke....period...

Organic does NOT equal safer....
Why?
Well, it's called addiction and if it's not part of your experience, it's difficult (perhaps impossible) to understand but very easy, for those so inclined, to judge.
And yes, organic tobacco IS certainly better than smoking a tobacco product that is laden with chemicals.
How one could not grok that is indeed a mystery.
Any smoker that smokes pure tobacco and then smokes one of the regular brands knows first hand how terribly awful those things make you feel immediately after smoking one.
And they tasted disgusting!
Most smokers are so used to their regular additive filled brands (and they've most likely been smoking them for so long) that they're rather clueless about what else they're taking into their bodies besides tobacco and they're so used to the taste that they don't know that what they're tasting, for the most part, isn't even tobacco.
And the interesting thing is the resistance to switching over to an organic / additive free tobacco.
I'm not making a case for smoking organic but it's obvious that an already harmful substance is made all the more harmful if it's grown with pesticides / insecticides and/or if it's full of harmful additives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2010, 05:43 PM
 
5,334 posts, read 11,505,109 times
Reputation: 13119
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Why?
Well, it's called addiction and if it's not part of your experience, it's difficult (perhaps impossible) to understand but very easy, for those so inclined, to judge.
And yes, organic tobacco IS certainly better than smoking a tobacco product that is laden with chemicals.
How one could not grok that is indeed a mystery.
Any smoker that smokes pure tobacco and then smokes one of the regular brands knows first hand how terribly awful those things make you feel immediately after smoking one.
And they tasted disgusting!
Most smokers are so used to their regular additive filled brands (and they've most likely been smoking them for so long) that they're rather clueless about what else they're taking into their bodies besides tobacco and they're so used to the taste that they don't know that what they're tasting, for the most part, isn't even tobacco.
And the interesting thing is the resistance to switching over to an organic / additive free tobacco.
I'm not making a case for smoking organic but it's obvious that an already harmful substance is made all the more harmful if it's grown with pesticides / insecticides and/or if it's full of harmful additives.
Unfortunately, there is absolutely NO proof to back up that statement....

There is no such thing as SAFE tobacco and there is no proof that smoking "organic" tobacco is any LESS likely to cause disease than the mass produced variety
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2010, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,076 posts, read 18,169,227 times
Reputation: 7724
Who gives a damn and why?

Something will kill us all, sooner or later, so what's the point of worrying about stuff like this?

We're going to die...deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2010, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,955 posts, read 18,215,224 times
Reputation: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by ;12566046
The real mystery is why any smoker would smoke....period...

Organic does NOT equal safer....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ;12567459
Why?
Well, it's called addiction and if it's not part of your experience, it's difficult (perhaps impossible) to understand but very easy, for those so inclined, to judge.
And yes, organic tobacco IS certainly better than smoking a tobacco product that is laden with chemicals.
How one could not grok that is indeed a mystery.
Any smoker that smokes pure tobacco and then smokes one of the regular brands knows first hand how terribly awful those things make you feel immediately after smoking one.
And they tasted disgusting!
Most smokers are so used to their regular additive filled brands (and they've most likely been smoking them for so long) that they're rather clueless about what else they're taking into their bodies besides tobacco and they're so used to the taste that they don't know that what they're tasting, for the most part, isn't even tobacco.
And the interesting thing is the resistance to switching over to an organic / additive free tobacco.
I'm not making a case for smoking organic but it's obvious that an already harmful substance is made all the more harmful if it's grown with pesticides / insecticides and/or if it's full of harmful additives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ;12582011
Unfortunately, there is absolutely NO proof to back up that statement....

There is no such thing as SAFE tobacco and there is no proof that smoking "organic" tobacco is any LESS likely to cause disease than the mass produced variety
Boy! It's darn near impossible for some to stay on the topic of the chemical BPA and it's dangers to all.

Wonder that would happen if this much off topic effort were to be put into the topic?

Oh well, some never learn..............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2010, 05:48 PM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
2,903 posts, read 11,666,514 times
Reputation: 1821
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Unfortunately, there is absolutely NO proof to back up that statement....

There is no such thing as SAFE tobacco and there is no proof that smoking "organic" tobacco is any LESS likely to cause disease than the mass produced variety
Interesting "logic" there.
You have a dangerous substance and then you add more dangerous (toxic) substances to that dangerous substance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2010, 05:51 PM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
2,903 posts, read 11,666,514 times
Reputation: 1821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Boy! It's darn near impossible for some to stay on the topic of the chemical BPA and it's dangers to all.

Wonder that would happen if this much off topic effort were to be put into the topic?

Oh well, some never learn..............
This (below, in bold) was the first post on this thread that you started .....

"The premise here is simple: it may not be tobacco that's killing all those smokers. Has anyone else noticed that the Surgeon General's warnings never mention tobacco - only smoking? Mod cut: copyright violation
pesticides - the real killer in tobacco products (http://home.ktc.com/bdrake/pest.html - broken link) "

You want to talk about BPA on this thread too even though your post and link are about tobacco and pesticides?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2010, 06:18 PM
 
5,334 posts, read 11,505,109 times
Reputation: 13119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Boy! It's darn near impossible for some to stay on the topic of the chemical BPA and it's dangers to all.

Wonder that would happen if this much off topic effort were to be put into the topic?

Oh well, some never learn..............
Yo.....dude....why don't YOU learn to read the thread title....

This isn't the BPA thread genius.....LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top