U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2010, 11:30 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,403,167 times

Advertisements

I have been taking iron pills for a couple months from Vitamin World. I usually take it in the morning after I eat, but not always. No matter what time I take it or if I eat something or not. I will burp the rest of the day and it tastes like bacon. I know it sounds weird, but that's whats happening.
I have always been borderline anemic. With both my pregnancies the doctors put me on double doses of iron. I plan on seeing a doctor soon because I believe it is getting worse. My thought process is some what hazy at times, and it's hard for me to get my breath while exerting myself, and I'm not that old yet.
I was just wondering if anyone else had similar reactions to iron or any vitamin pills. I don't remember the burping when I was on the doctors iron.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 11:38 AM

3,996 posts, read 9,729,418 times
When I was taking iron supplements, I took a brand called Ferro Sequel. It is time released and coated so you get none of the burp or nastiness that comes with iron supplements. It also contains a stool softener to negate the constipating effects of iron. You might try them.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:43 AM

244 posts, read 632,411 times
I had many problems with synthetic iron(doctor recommended), many digestive related. They also did nothing for my iron counts. I have been taking "Energizing Iron" made by Enzymatic Therapy for the past 8 months or so and have no trouble with anything digestive related and my numbers are stabilized. I think b/c it is a heme(animal) iron, my body absorbs it better without all the side effects of the synthetic iron. Hope this helps!

Oh, and definitely get to a doctor, it's possible your thyroid levels need to be checked as well.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:50 AM

2,903 posts, read 11,667,974 times
I'd find a better iron supplement.
Don't go "cheap" on it.
The link below is to an excellent iron supplement and, as one general rule, you know you're taking too much if you experience constipation.
The product below also has a yeast free one.
Floradix can be found in almost any health food store or you can order it on-line.

Amazon.com: Flora - Floradix Iron + Herbs, 17 fl oz liquid: Health & Personal Care

Old 01-22-2010, 11:52 AM

Thanks Resillientsmile and Moonlady. Thyroid huh? I never even considered that. My father had thyroid problems.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Don't go "cheap" on it.
The link below is to an excellent iron supplement and, as one general rule, you know you're taking too much if you experience constipation.
Floradix can be found in almost any health food store or you can order it on-line.

Amazon.com: Flora - Floradix Iron + Herbs, 17 fl oz liquid: Health & Personal Care
Thanks.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Don't go "cheap" on it.

I did use that stuff too, but I almost threw up every time I had to take it. Sometimes you can't help your gag reflex. Plus it has to be refrigerated so it doesn't travel well. But overall good supplement b/c it contains the vitamins that make iron soluble in the bloodstream (is Vitamin A & C? can't remember). I try to take mine after I've ate/drank something containing Vitamin C.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:37 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,667,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resilientsmile View Post
I did use that stuff too, but I almost threw up every time I had to take it. Sometimes you can't help your gag reflex. Plus it has to be refrigerated so it doesn't travel well. But overall good supplement b/c it contains the vitamins that make iron soluble in the bloodstream (is Vitamin A & C? can't remember). I try to take mine after I've ate/drank something containing Vitamin C.
I find it very easy to take and the taste isn't an issue for me at all and i'd always rather take a liquid supp. rather than a pill or capsule.
And i'm used to eating funky herbs and other strange concoctions.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
Thanks Resillientsmile and Moonlady. Thyroid huh? I never even considered that. My father had thyroid problems.

Yeah, supposedly I have a thyroid deficiency too. But I stopped taking my medicine b/c it was only a .025 mg dose...My concentration has definitely improved with my iron being elevated...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness