U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-16-2010, 08:24 PM
 
3 posts, read 6,084 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

I'm still trying to catch up on everything in this post so I apologize if I repeat anyone. I just saw where he was drinking cranberry juice and that they did do a cystoscopy. My urologist gave me information and advised me to educate myself on the internet to get a better understanding on Intercystial cystitis and to learn the trigger foods and beverages. Cranberry juice was on the do not drink list because the acid in it irritates the bladder and makes it bleed. I used to drink it constantly and couldn't understand why it was getting worse. I'm still learning the do's and don'ts, but stopping the cranberry juice made a huge difference. IC is common in patients with Crohns and IBS as well. 1 last thing, Folgers makes a coffee designed for digestive and bladder disorders. Simply smooth. It works. Coffee was another taboo drink..I really hope they find out what's going on soon..It's hard living with this and being the spouse,,Very sweet that you're this involved..I know couldn't get this this without my husband
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-24-2010, 06:49 PM
 
214 posts, read 1,792,476 times
Reputation: 124
Just wanted to give an update since I see this thread is still active. My husband today was given the results of his newest test. It showed that he has a fistula inbetween his two intestines. He has Crohns so I guess this is very common for Crohns patients. There was no clear evidence of a fistula inbetween the bladder and intestine but they said they would suspect that. (more testing will pinpoint that) He meets with a surgeon tomorrow to see what the next step will be. At least he has an answer....even though it looks like surgery will be the outcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2010, 08:57 PM
 
Location: state of procrastination
3,487 posts, read 6,536,136 times
Reputation: 2891
Have they tried a fluoroscopic study such as an urethrogram/cystogram/fistulogram? Maybe they can instill contrast dye (like conray) into the urethra and see if there is a direct connection between the bladder/bowel or bladder/rectum, followed immediately by a pelvic CT scan to see the 3D structures better. Who knows, the defect may even be in the urethra (i.e. an outpouching or fistula). That way they can localize things better for the surgery planning. Have them call radiology or something if they don't know what to do. I don't see how they are going to operate if they can't even localize the problem. Suspecting it and seeing it are different things. You might save him a surgery.

Did they find any signs of cystitis on the cystoscopy?

What organism did his urine grow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2010, 02:59 PM
 
Location: So. of Rosarito, Baja, Mexico
6,728 posts, read 19,218,824 times
Reputation: 6234
Since I've posted a urinary problem here will give an update as of this morning visit with my VA provider.

Any info here is just to show some men what can happen at our tender age.

Three weeks ago had a ultrasound of the kidneys and testies. Results not too good. I have two cysts in the testies and one in the right kidney...not earth shattering as far as the kidney is concerned but also have a huge Prostate on top of my problems.

Does say something has been going on for a while the last few months. Have a urology appmt in Nov so will learn more then.

Hope I have not bored anyone here...never know what you can learn from others problems, and not from a first hand experience.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2010, 07:24 AM
 
Location: NJ
12,624 posts, read 22,572,186 times
Reputation: 11523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Since I've posted a urinary problem here will give an update as of this morning visit with my VA provider.

Any info here is just to show some men what can happen at our tender age.

Three weeks ago had a ultrasound of the kidneys and testies. Results not too good. I have two cysts in the testies and one in the right kidney...not earth shattering as far as the kidney is concerned but also have a huge Prostate on top of my problems.

Does say something has been going on for a while the last few months. Have a urology appmt in Nov so will learn more then.

Hope I have not bored anyone here...never know what you can learn from others problems, and not from a first hand experience.

Steve
Hi Steve, are you able to see a urologist at a large hospital?
I see on your profile that you have some auto in your background; did you use products with Benzene? IIRC - liquid wrench, CRC, Breaklean? When was the last time you had blood work?

My dad had prostate problems; he had a cath for 6 months; at one point went for a biopsy. The last biopsy he had, he never recovered from because he had chemical related leukemia. If you've worked with chemicals in the 60's/70's - see your Dr and ask to be tested before all of this starts. My dad was fine until he had the biopsy; he started getting weaker & weaker until he couldn't walk 4 weeks after biopsy. He figured he wasn't bouncing back from the anesthesia.

The symptoms of AML are caused by replacement of normal bone marrow with leukemic cells, which causes a drop in red blood cells, platelets, and normal white blood cells. These symptoms include fatigue, shortness of breath, easy bruising and bleeding, and increased risk of infection. Although several risk factors for AML have been identified, the specific cause of the disease remains unclear. As an acute leukemia, AML progresses rapidly and is typically fatal within weeks or months if left untreated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2010, 09:57 AM
 
Location: So. of Rosarito, Baja, Mexico
6,728 posts, read 19,218,824 times
Reputation: 6234
G'dMorning...Yes, I was around that stuff from the time being a small kiddo. Dad had a legal licensed repair shop behind our house in Canada. I was his 3rd hand many times. I have been around the car ending business a long time.

Blood work galore. Antibiotics like CIPRO is "whats that? my body says" as I've built a resistence to the med.

My dad passed later on after having Bladder/prostate Cancer surgery. The cells are still somewhere in the system just waiting around.

My mother had brain Cancer before going and my late wife had 8 cancer tumors also...so it's not just in my family history...possible for anyone to have the problem.

Not trying to degress here...just a general info no different then my learning a lot reading some of the problems posted here by others. We live and learn.

The VA hospital here in San Diego is top notch and they have done a lot for me the last few yrs. On Urology day there will be about 40-50 men (vets) and a few women in the waiting room for their apptmts...coming and going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2010, 01:08 PM
 
Location: NJ
12,624 posts, read 22,572,186 times
Reputation: 11523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
G'dMorning...Yes, I was around that stuff from the time being a small kiddo. Dad had a legal licensed repair shop behind our house in Canada. I was his 3rd hand many times. I have been around the car ending business a long time.
I kind of figured you were; I was around it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
My dad passed later on after having Bladder/prostate Cancer surgery. The cells are still somewhere in the system just waiting around.

My mother had brain Cancer before going and my late wife had 8 cancer tumors also...so it's not just in my family history...possible for anyone to have the problem.

Not trying to degress here...just a general info no different then my learning a lot reading some of the problems posted here by others. We live and learn.

The VA hospital here in San Diego is top notch and they have done a lot for me the last few yrs. On Urology day there will be about 40-50 men (vets) and a few women in the waiting room for their apptmts...coming and going.
Sorry you lost so many people. From what I understand, we all have cancer cells in our body, but we are healthy enough to fight it. It's when our resistance goes down that it pops up. Keep it in the back of your head about the Leukemia - if you are not feeling right; my dad had issues walking, would get winded.. make sure you get a blood test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2010, 11:16 PM
 
8 posts, read 36,520 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jperry3princess View Post
I'm still trying to catch up on everything in this post so I apologize if I repeat anyone. I just saw where he was drinking cranberry juice and that they did do a cystoscopy. My urologist gave me information and advised me to educate myself on the internet to get a better understanding on Intercystial cystitis and to learn the trigger foods and beverages. Cranberry juice was on the do not drink list because the acid in it irritates the bladder and makes it bleed. I used to drink it constantly and couldn't understand why it was getting worse. I'm still learning the do's and don'ts, but stopping the cranberry juice made a huge difference. IC is common in patients with Crohns and IBS as well. 1 last thing, Folgers makes a coffee designed for digestive and bladder disorders. Simply smooth. It works. Coffee was another taboo drink..I really hope they find out what's going on soon..It's hard living with this and being the spouse,,Very sweet that you're this involved..I know couldn't get this this without my husband
wow to know someone else out there has this horrible Intercystial Cystitis. It has been my living hell for the past year and a half.
It took them 10 months to finally diagnose it. And when I finally knew what was putting me through so much pain, stress, frustration and misery, I find out there's almost nothing you can do about it.

Which foods do you avoid? only thing I was able to identify as a pain trigger were tomatoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top