U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 06:34 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,667,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
I still use a fan but it is not loud enough, so I am thinking of getting a new one that is louder I think I could sleep better if it was louder, although I can not stand the radio, TV or any other noise when i am trying to sleep.
A white noise machine maybe be just the right thing.
Fans are great but i don't always like the air movement ... especially when it's not hot.
I don't have this issue but i love acupuncture and intuitively, it seems that it would be a good approach.
I think i'll go do some googlin' ...
... just got back from google land ... yep, it's a very commonly treated condition and i'd love it if someone who is open and interested in an alternative approach found a good acupuncturist (get a referral and find someone who has been practicing for at least 10 years [ideally many more] and gave it a whirl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 06:54 PM

41,113 posts, read 15,881,614 times
I am so sorry th hear about your tinnitus. I have had loud ringing in my left ear continuously since December 4, 1989. It's a whooshing sound, a little like running water, plus a ringing sound over it which changes pitch from time to time and gets louder if there's background noise i nthe room. This is one of the symptoms I have from Meniere's Disease. When the ringing started, I also lost all hearing in the ear, plus have dizziness. It took months to get used to the ringing, but I eventually did. Now, much of the time I don't notice it a lot unless I think about it or unless the pitch or volume changes. Today, it has been louder than most days and is somewhat annoying, but not too bad. No one knows what causes Meniere's, and there is no cure for it. However, I see it as a blessing in disguise -- it makes me thankful every day of my life that I have one ear that works, and my other senses are in good shape. I wish you luck in finding a diagnosis and, hopefully, a cure for whatever is causing your tinnitus.

PS - I, too, use a white noise machine in my bedroom. It helps quite a bit.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:45 AM

8,289 posts, read 15,496,990 times
My husband found that white noise machines didn't do it for him. He prefers the "motor" sound of a fan or the air conditioner. We tried recording that sound, but it just didn't help. He used to leave a radio on tuned to static. Everyone has to find what works for their particular sound.

Also, as the weather changes, so does the sound and volume of your personal "head sound" - it often is affected by the barometric pressure. Just before a storm arrives - the sounds are almost enough to give me a defense for committing murder! "I couldn't help myself. The sounds in my head made me temporarily insane!"
Hmmm, I wonder....

Old 01-28-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
I am so sorry th hear about your tinnitus. I have had loud ringing in my left ear continuously since December 4, 1989. It's a whooshing sound, a little like running water, plus a ringing sound over it which changes pitch from time to time and gets louder if there's background noise i nthe room. This is one of the symptoms I have from Meniere's Disease. When the ringing started, I also lost all hearing in the ear, plus have dizziness. It took months to get used to the ringing, but I eventually did. Now, much of the time I don't notice it a lot unless I think about it or unless the pitch or volume changes. Today, it has been louder than most days and is somewhat annoying, but not too bad. No one knows what causes Meniere's, and there is no cure for it. However, I see it as a blessing in disguise -- it makes me thankful every day of my life that I have one ear that works, and my other senses are in good shape. I wish you luck in finding a diagnosis and, hopefully, a cure for whatever is causing your tinnitus.

PS - I, too, use a white noise machine in my bedroom. It helps quite a bit.
PPS - I was only 35 years old when the Meniere's first appeared.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
My husband found that white noise machines didn't do it for him. He prefers the "motor" sound of a fan or the air conditioner. We tried recording that sound, but it just didn't help. He used to leave a radio on tuned to static. Everyone has to find what works for their particular sound.

Also, as the weather changes, so does the sound and volume of your personal "head sound" - it often is affected by the barometric pressure. Just before a storm arrives - the sounds are almost enough to give me a defense for committing murder! "I couldn't help myself. The sounds in my head made me temporarily insane!"
Hmmm, I wonder....

I understand, Annie.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:46 AM

8,955 posts, read 18,218,812 times
Since there is some confusion and/or misinformation about how to use a fan for white noise let me offer this..........

Buy a simple inexpensive box fan, set it on the floor FACING THE WALL back about 6>8 inches, turn it on high and let it "drum" on the wall while you sleep or need relief from the tinnitus.

You may have to adjust to suit but this is by far the best way that i've found to get some peace from the constant "in my head" noise.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:52 PM

3 posts, read 7,706 times
Default Tinnitus

Hi rvsr1, A friend of mine who belongs to this forum told me about your question; she knows I have suffered with tinnitus and I wanted to come here and give you hope. I have had tinnitus since June 2008. It came on suddenly one day, out of the blue, after I woke up from a Sunday nap. When the high-pitched, squealing sound sound didn't go away, I visited my doctor, then went on to an ENT, had my ears tested, etc., etc. They really had nothing to say except to tell me what it was and to tell me there wasn't anything they could do for me.

I was completely terrified and panicked, I could not sleep with the sound in my head all the time. Despite telling them that, I had to go back later and ask specifically for something to help me sleep; they didn't offer it. Please ask your doctor for something if you cannot sleep; not getting enough sleep made my tinnitus much worse. Eventually I was able to stop taking medication to help me sleep, eventually I stopped hearing the tinnitus, it doesn't bother me anymore. But it took a long time. So I understand what you are going through. Like you, I am also very musically oriented. I sing and play instruments, I have an immense and eclectic music collection. But I could not take pleasure in my music for a long time. My husband had just purchased me a new keyboard to play with and write music on but I had to give it away, I couldn't bear to even look at it.

At one point, about 3 or 4 months in, I became suicidal. I felt that if I could not make the sound go away, I would rather die. Of course, I didn't do anything; I am very happily married and I love my husband and children very much. Plus, despite all the terrible things I read online, I had the faint hope that maybe one day I would get better. Take heart and have hope. You will get better. Everyone I know, and I know quite a few people now, have gotten much better. My brother has had tinnitus over 15 years and when I told him I had it too, he had forgotten he even had it anymore! He laughed and said, "oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that!" And he is a very good musician; still plays, still listens to music. He's fine.

Doctors do seem disinterested and dismissive in us as patients, I understand any frustration you might feel. I've definitely felt that too and I've talked to enough people with tinnitus to know this is rather universal. Please realize it's not that doctors are unsympathetic but they just don't have anything they can give us or do for us. This is not a condition where they can give you a drug or tell you to do something or do not do something and hey, presto, it will magically go away. They don't have a fix for us. Tinnitus is not well understood in the medical community and many doctors have never even heard of it. My first doctor hadn't. Even the ones that have heard of it or even studied it, most of what they have to offer at this point is theoretical. Beware of the quack methods being touted on the internet as cures. There is no cure, there is only time but believe me, if you stop obsessing over it, eventually it will stop bothering you. So-called cures can be anything from certain vitamins and foods, or lack of, to hypnosis to acupuncture to even surgery. Please be cautious. I know some people who have gone all over the world to fix; their tinnitus, they have the money to waste. All for nothing, nothing helped them. Many famous people have tinnitus, again...all their wealth and fame didn't help them. Please don't waste your money on cures;.

Even my first doctor printed out a list of so-called causes of tinnitus. Like caffeine, alcohol, certain vitamins, etc., etc. All hogwash. I don't know anyone whose tinnitus was helped by stopping or starting any kind of substance. There really isn't anything except time that will help you. But believe me, you will get over this. The first thing to do is stop going all over the internet looking for an answer. Unfortunately, this is one of those times where seeking out information isn't helpful. The information out there is horrendously negative and the people who still suffer with obsessing over tinnitus are very discouraging. It's not helpful. Insist your doctor give you something to help you sleep and/or help with anxiety. I took Ambien for the first few months, then switched to Ativan. Today I take no drugs at all; as my tinnitus receded slowly, I cut back and weaned myself off those drugs. But I'm so glad I took them, they helped me a lot. Remember this is a temporary thing, eventually your brain will get tired of the noise and will block it out. This will take time but it does happen. The more you live your life the best way you can and do the things you enjoy and try to forget about this thing, the faster your brain will learn to block it out.

I found it helpful to go to noisy places as much as possible; cafes, downtown, even took a ferry to the Giants game, that was great, it blocked out the tinnitus the whole time. If you feel very desperate, turn on a blowdryer, take a shower, drive in your car with the A/C on, the radio on and the windows down. I ran a fan at night for many months. Ambient sounds during the day helped too. Try to stay distracted about the sound as much as possible. It is very key.

And when you find you have forgotten you have tinnitus, while concentrating or while busy, when you re-hear it, remind yourself that you'd just forgotten about it for some time. Trust that this will happen more and more. Eventually you won't hear it anymore. If you, or anyone else, wants to write me privately about tinnitus, I'll happy to talk to you more about it. I went through it, I suffered very badly, it was really scary and I had no where to turn. I know what you are going through. You'll be okay, really. Annie tasinda@gmail.com

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 02-02-2010 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: Adding paragraphs.. ;)

Old 02-03-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasinda View Post
Hi rvsr1, A friend of mine who belongs to this forum told me about your question; she knows I have suffered with tinnitus and I wanted to come here and give you hope. I have had tinnitus since June 2008. It came on suddenly one day, out of the blue, after I woke up from a Sunday nap. When the high-pitched, squealing sound sound didn't go away, I visited my doctor, then went on to an ENT, had my ears tested, etc., etc. They really had nothing to say except to tell me what it was and to tell me there wasn't anything they could do for me.

I was completely terrified and panicked, I could not sleep with the sound in my head all the time. Despite telling them that, I had to go back later and ask specifically for something to help me sleep; they didn't offer it. Please ask your doctor for something if you cannot sleep; not getting enough sleep made my tinnitus much worse. Eventually I was able to stop taking medication to help me sleep, eventually I stopped hearing the tinnitus, it doesn't bother me anymore. But it took a long time. So I understand what you are going through. Like you, I am also very musically oriented. I sing and play instruments, I have an immense and eclectic music collection. But I could not take pleasure in my music for a long time. My husband had just purchased me a new keyboard to play with and write music on but I had to give it away, I couldn't bear to even look at it.

At one point, about 3 or 4 months in, I became suicidal. I felt that if I could not make the sound go away, I would rather die. Of course, I didn't do anything; I am very happily married and I love my husband and children very much. Plus, despite all the terrible things I read online, I had the faint hope that maybe one day I would get better. Take heart and have hope. You will get better. Everyone I know, and I know quite a few people now, have gotten much better. My brother has had tinnitus over 15 years and when I told him I had it too, he had forgotten he even had it anymore! He laughed and said, "oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that!" And he is a very good musician; still plays, still listens to music. He's fine.

Doctors do seem disinterested and dismissive in us as patients, I understand any frustration you might feel. I've definitely felt that too and I've talked to enough people with tinnitus to know this is rather universal. Please realize it's not that doctors are unsympathetic but they just don't have anything they can give us or do for us. This is not a condition where they can give you a drug or tell you to do something or do not do something and hey, presto, it will magically go away. They don't have a fix for us. Tinnitus is not well understood in the medical community and many doctors have never even heard of it. My first doctor hadn't. Even the ones that have heard of it or even studied it, most of what they have to offer at this point is theoretical. Beware of the quack methods being touted on the internet as cures. There is no cure, there is only time but believe me, if you stop obsessing over it, eventually it will stop bothering you. So-called cures can be anything from certain vitamins and foods, or lack of, to hypnosis to acupuncture to even surgery. Please be cautious. I know some people who have gone all over the world to fix; their tinnitus, they have the money to waste. All for nothing, nothing helped them. Many famous people have tinnitus, again...all their wealth and fame didn't help them. Please don't waste your money on cures;.

Even my first doctor printed out a list of so-called causes of tinnitus. Like caffeine, alcohol, certain vitamins, etc., etc. All hogwash. I don't know anyone whose tinnitus was helped by stopping or starting any kind of substance. There really isn't anything except time that will help you. But believe me, you will get over this. The first thing to do is stop going all over the internet looking for an answer. Unfortunately, this is one of those times where seeking out information isn't helpful. The information out there is horrendously negative and the people who still suffer with obsessing over tinnitus are very discouraging. It's not helpful. Insist your doctor give you something to help you sleep and/or help with anxiety. I took Ambien for the first few months, then switched to Ativan. Today I take no drugs at all; as my tinnitus receded slowly, I cut back and weaned myself off those drugs. But I'm so glad I took them, they helped me a lot. Remember this is a temporary thing, eventually your brain will get tired of the noise and will block it out. This will take time but it does happen. The more you live your life the best way you can and do the things you enjoy and try to forget about this thing, the faster your brain will learn to block it out.

I found it helpful to go to noisy places as much as possible; cafes, downtown, even took a ferry to the Giants game, that was great, it blocked out the tinnitus the whole time. If you feel very desperate, turn on a blowdryer, take a shower, drive in your car with the A/C on, the radio on and the windows down. I ran a fan at night for many months. Ambient sounds during the day helped too. Try to stay distracted about the sound as much as possible. It is very key.

And when you find you have forgotten you have tinnitus, while concentrating or while busy, when you re-hear it, remind yourself that you'd just forgotten about it for some time. Trust that this will happen more and more. Eventually you won't hear it anymore. If you, or anyone else, wants to write me privately about tinnitus, I'll happy to talk to you more about it. I went through it, I suffered very badly, it was really scary and I had no where to turn. I know what you are going through. You'll be okay, really. Annie tasinda@gmail.com

BEWARE OF MEDICAL ADVICE FROM LAYPEOPLE! The cause of your tinnitus may be completely different from anyone else's who has posted here! Physicians DO know best, so don't dismiss them.

As for going to noisy places to drown out the ringing, that has the OPPOSITE effect on me. The more background noise, the louder the noise in my head - and after I leave the noisy place, the higher volume is residual for quite some time. THERE IS NO ONE ANSWER FOR ANY PERSON WHO SUFFERS FROM TINIITUS.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:41 PM

8,955 posts, read 18,218,812 times
Quote:
BEWARE OF MEDICAL ADVICE FROM LAYPEOPLE! The cause of your tinnitus may be completely different from anyone else's who has posted here! Physicians DO know best, so don't dismiss them.
Always good advice that is seldom listened to.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:01 PM

32,462 posts, read 13,446,255 times
Quote:

As for going to noisy places to drown out the ringing, that has the OPPOSITE effect on me. The more background noise, the louder the noise in my head - and after I leave the noisy place, the higher volume is residual for quite some time. THERE IS NO ONE ANSWER FOR ANY PERSON WHO SUFFERS FROM TINIITUS.
Great advice, I can't handle loud places, I work in peoples homes where the TV is so loud I wear ear plugs and my ringing does get worse. However in my own home when I wake up and if and when I turn on the TV, it is always too loud from my hearing loss the night before, meaning it seems to progress during the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness