U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:29 PM

41,103 posts, read 15,876,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
Great advice, I can't handle loud places, I work in peoples homes where the TV is so loud I wear ear plugs and my ringing does get worse. However in my own home when I wake up and if and when I turn on the TV, it is always too loud from my hearing loss the night before, meaning it seems to progress during the day.
I've noticed the same thing with my car radio. During my morning commute I have the volume at #10 and during my evening commute I have to turn it up to #12 to hear it equally well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 12:50 PM

7,771 posts, read 17,227,697 times
Tightwad wrote:
I, too, have suffered from Tinnitus for as long as I can remember. I, too, wish there were a cure or a way to treat Tinnitus but there is not.
I recently came across this Natural Hearing Improvement System. I think it might be of interest to you and others who experience ongoing tinnitus. I've not used it personally so I can make no experience based comments for or against it.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:02 PM

8,955 posts, read 18,215,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Tightwad wrote:
I, too, have suffered from Tinnitus for as long as I can remember. I, too, wish there were a cure or a way to treat Tinnitus but there is not.
I recently came across this Natural Hearing Improvement System. I think it might be of interest to you and others who experience ongoing tinnitus. I've not used it personally so I can make no experience based comments for or against it.
Thank you for this. I've bookmarked the link for later study. I will also say that in my case 10 months of combat and 40 yrs of working with engine development have not done my hearing much good.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:55 AM

93 posts, read 411,753 times
Just wondering if anyone has tried Quietus. Hubby and I both suffer from tinnitus. We've seen and heard ads for the product, but are skeptical. Feedback from anyone familiar with it would be appreciated.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:12 PM

8,955 posts, read 18,215,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm24 View Post
Just wondering if anyone has tried Quietus. Hubby and I both suffer from tinnitus. We've seen and heard ads for the product, but are skeptical. Feedback from anyone familiar with it would be appreciated.
I've heard of this stuff too. However, since the cause of tinnitus is physical damage to the hairs in the inner ear I don't want to be a guinea pig for more snake oil.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:02 PM

669 posts, read 2,492,248 times
My tinnitus drives me crazy. It came on last July, out of the blue. I don't have any hearing loss (had the full battery of tests). Docs don't know what caused it, but are in agreement that it probably will never go away. Somedays are a lot worse than others. I wanted to jump in front of a bus when it started, but I got myself to a mental health professional, who prescribed a mild anti-depresent and an anxi-anxiety med. It has helped, but I know I can't be on the meds forever. I worried how I will cope with the rest of my life with a tea kettle going off in my head. WAAAAAA!

Old 02-15-2010, 02:49 PM

3 posts, read 7,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
BEWARE OF MEDICAL ADVICE FROM LAYPEOPLE! The cause of your tinnitus may be completely different from anyone else's who has posted here! Physicians DO know best, so don't dismiss them. .
Not all physicians "know best" because not all physicians are the same. What do you call the person who graduated dead last in medical school? Doctor. I'm not suggesting all doctor's opinions be discounted, (my best friend's husband is a doctor, and a very good one, he ended up giving me a lot more information about tinnitus than my own doctors did here) but be aware that medical science doesn't quite understand tinnitus. How it happens (in my case, out of the blue) why it continues, what helps it, etc., etc. They are still researching this issue; they just recently confirmed it's the brain and not the ears, although ear damage can cause it to occur. But bottom line, they don't understand tinnitus. The information they give out is based on anecdotal evidence. There is NO scientific proof that anything helps with tinnitus.

My first physician did not even know what tinnitus was. I told her my ears had been ringing for several days so she looked in my ears and did a general exam, asked if I was on any meds, then she googled it while I sat there on the exam table and then printed out a list of supposed treatments that were worthless, like zinc making it better or caffeine making it worse. My blood pressure was up a little, probably because I was so upset and she also suggested that my slightly elevated blood pressure was causing it. I found out later from my doctor friend that in order for blood pressure to cause tinnitus, it must be MUCH MUCH higher than mine was. A friend of mine who developed tinnitus went in and her doctor told her to take Arches, a pill loaded with B-12 that is supposed to help tinnitus. There is absolutely no proof that Arches, or any of the various quackery pills and ear drops offered online or in stores, actually work. Many tinnitus sufferers have spent a great deal of money on various quack remedies like "Arches" that have absolutely no affect on tinnitus.

When your highly educated physician suggests you take the equivalent of snake oil, it hardly inspires confidence in the abilities of that physician.

And I am so NOT suggesting that everything I found that helped my tinnitus will help everyone else. It's obvious we are all different and will have different responses. If general background sounds like being in a cafe bothers your tinnitus, don't do that. By the way, that sound is a recognized soothing sound on many ambient sound machines, along with the sound of the ocean or forest streams, etc. I find the background chatter of many people in a cafe soothing but of course, not everyone will. I can't stand listening to the ocean sound, for instance, although many people enjoy that. Most tinnitus sufferers do find relief in some kind of ambient background sounds, though. Which is why many people buy those machines, especially in the beginning.

But the ideas I've found that help me and the ideas I've gotten from others who actually HAVE tinnitus, are valid for many and have helped many of us much much more than anything my doctors, both my Primary Care Phys. and my ENT, suggested. Which was either useless (zinc, B-12, cutting out caffeine, decongestants, etc., all useless) or nothing ("Some people get over this, some don't, there's really nothing we can do").

I understand doctors don't have a "cure". I understand that they are trained to treat the patient and when the patient does not present with anything treatable, they are stymied. I understand that tinnitus is a subjective condition and difficult to treat. I know if they could help, they would.

But I, and many MANY people I've met over this issue are not happy with doctors who do not know anything about tinnitus trying to treat it. If they don't know what tinnitus is, like my first doctor, instead of pretending they do by going online and printing out two pages of BS for me and sending me home with it, they can refer me to an ENT who DOES know more. Or listen to those of us who have found certain techniques to help us and pass that on. Like an ambient sound machine, or a fan, or making sure the patient gets enough sleep at night by giving them sleep aids on a temporary basis. Etc. THOSE are helpful tips for a patient. Not the crap my doctor sent home with me or the "we can't do anything" answer the ENT gave me. I had to beg my doctor for something to help me sleep when I barely slept for two weeks due to all the noise in my head and she grudgingly prescribed me Ambien. I felt terrible, like I'd done something wrong or I was a drug addict. And I've heard this story again and again from other tinnitus sufferers, it's not just my experience.

I'm not discounting doctors or saying "don't go in". By all means, get tested. I had an MRI and a complete hearing test, I had everything done that can be done. But please don't allow your doctors to dismiss you if you are suffering.

If I had not had my friend's husband helping me know what to ask my doctor, I would have been totally lost. I had to fight to get medication to help me, I had to do my own research on what helped my personal condition.

Today, we must all be our own advocates when it comes to medical care. The days of blindly trusting any doctor you go to are gone and they probably never should have been. Question your doctor, do your research, be informed and don't be afraid to get another medical opinion if you find your doctor's instructions are not helpful.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:13 PM

55 posts, read 139,394 times
I occasionally get tinnitus and I saw this post today while checking out todays new posts. I realized that I am having tinnitus at this moment. I am a type 2 diabetic and I thought I would check my sugar level to see if it is high and sure enough it is 176 which is high for me. I will have to do more research into my tinnitius to check my level. Right now, I know my ears are ringing and my sugar is high. Hopefully I'll remember to check myself at the next episode.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:10 PM

55 posts, read 139,394 times
About an hour has passed since I checked my level and my ringing is barely there. I just now tested myself and my number is 120 which is much better than it was. So with this little test, I'll know when I have ringing I'll check myself. I will also have to figure out what I ingested that triggered the high reading. Thanx so much to the person who started this thread, I have learned a lesson.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:50 AM

3 posts, read 7,704 times
Default One more thing...

One more vital tip on how to cope better with tinnitus for those who find tinnitus scary, intrusive and difficult to deal with (like I was):the least helpful thing you can do is obsess over it.

If you have been checked out medically and cleared, work on letting go of thinking about it.

Stop trying to measure it and compare it and fret over it and go online and read about it and join boards and talk about it, etc., etc. I was so terrified of the noises in my head and everything my first doctor told me could cause it, plus all the stuff I'd read online that said what she said and even more, that I cut out almost everything I could eat in the beginning except the vitamins that were supposed to be "helpful". I worked out obsessively because it said working out was helpful. I lost 20 pounds in the first month from stress, working out like a maniac and being afraid to eat anything. I bought stuff online and in stores that was supposed to help and merely wasted my money. Even saw a hypnotist who swore he had experience with tinnitus.

Waste. Of. Money.

The only thing I, and the hundreds of tinnitus sufferers I've talked to over the last two years, have found that helps is Time and learning to stop obsessing about it. If you let go, it will eventually let go of you, too.

The longer you obsess, the longer it will take your brain to tune it out and forget you have it. The people I know who have stopped suffering from tinnitus, including myself, did so by stopping all that behavior.

I know firsthand how difficult that is. In fact, for the first several months, it was impossible for me. I was frantic, I *had* to constantly monitor the "t" ("Is it louder today than yesterday? Than when I woke up? Is it it going to get louder?"), I had to research it online, I had to go back to my doctor again and again, I had to try quack remedies out of desperation, even though I knew they wouldn't work, and the more I obsessed about, the worse it got.

Even when I finally gave up obsessing so much, it still didn't go away overnight. It took time. It's one of those things where you have to have faith. Very difficult for me and probably for most. Eventually I gradually started to forget about it. And just as gradually I got my life back again.

The reason why you don't see a lot of positive feedback from tinnitus patients online is because once we don't hear it anymore, once it stops bothering us, it does tend to "show up again" once we DO talk about it. I can hear mine right now, kind of in the background because I'm writing about it, although when I woke up, I didn't notice anything. Nothing like it was those first few terrifying months, but still not fun. And, although I don't panic anymore about it, it's not exactly pleasant.

But I swore that if I ever got past the fear and panic I went through that I would talk about it and give people hope. There is so much negativity online to scare the beejesus out of people about tinnitus and, although I understand why people react with such fear (Hey, I was *there*!) there IS hope and there are techniques to help you cope and it is not the life-sentence of hell so many of us are afraid it is in the beginning. Time is your friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness