U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 07:23 AM

10,452 posts, read 10,961,712 times

Advertisements

I would suggest acupuncture, and asking the acupuncturist to do a lot of work on your kidney meridian. I know it might sound nuts to some people, but it really helped me with my tinnitus and completely resolved my other hearing problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 12:55 PM

32,450 posts, read 13,435,224 times
Oh I just had to bring this up again, sorry if it's the same ol stuff. I've had Tinnitus since 2007, probably longer but an ear/sinus infection brought it to the forefront. I know the cause, machinery, cars, rock concerts, loud boats...all of that in my younger years.
I was just recently diagnosed with another ear/sinus infection, it had been 2-3 years since I had one, ears were so full, my ear drums were (what did the dr. say?) enlarged, anyway, antibiotics, Allegra D. I could feel the fluid going away and draining as the days went on. But the Tinnitus is BRUTAL! This was Aug 27th.

We all know all the "stuff", sometimes it's worse than others. White noise at night. We'll get through it. I wish there was a cure

Old 09-15-2012, 01:08 PM

3,821 posts, read 3,569,245 times
Everyone's body chemistry is different, therefore everyone's experience with tinnitus will be a bit different.

That said... I can tell you that after multiple hearing tests and an MRI, no definitive cause for my tinnitus was ever determined.
Next, the following is a list of treatments that didn't successfully reduce my tinnitus: Ear flush, antibiotics, multiple acupuncture sessions, white noise machine, steroid injections (in the ear), ear drumming technique, sea salts, relaxation/meditation, prednisone, vitamins. I discontinued each of these treatments after they failed.

My relief finally came some time around Halloween of 2011. After reading about it's possible benefits, I began taking 250 mg of magnesium daily. Immediately, the "volume" of my tinnitus was extremely reduced. It has remained at the same low level for going on a year now. Yes, it could have just been a coincidence. But it's worth noting in case it helps someone else.
Are any of you tinnitus sufferers are willing to try magnesium and report back your results?

Old 09-15-2012, 03:50 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,064,943 times
Interesting. I've just begun taking magnesium - but only for a couple/few weeks now. Don't think I've noticed any/much change yet, but willing to keep trying that.

And, I'm headed to vitamin store today to get a couple of things recommended in the "John of Ohio Menieres Regimen" article, so we'll see how that does and gladly report back.
John's Menieres Treatment Also see "other treatments" link

Old 09-15-2012, 06:44 PM

5,524 posts, read 10,222,667 times
Haven't read through the whole thread, so hope this isn't redundant, but have you investigated the connection between tinnitus and gluten..and possibly dairy?

If you Google tinnitus and gluten, you'll find a host of folks reporting a big improvement after going gluten free.

Here's one of the sites:

Tinnitus improvements? - PaleoHacks.com

Certainly sounds worthy of a try...

Old 09-16-2012, 05:51 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,148,627 times
My mom-mom had tinnitus for a long time, and she had the same tests that you had and they all came back normal. It drove her crazy, she had a radio on for background noise. Ear problems run in our family so I wouldn't be surprised if I get it someday. Maybe try drowning out the noise somehow, I think they make white noise machines. It's a very annoying symptom to have. Best of luck.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:21 AM

3,821 posts, read 3,569,245 times
The white noise machines do help to mask the unwanted noises. My tinnitus was so loud that I had to sleep with the noise machine right there on my pillow. But if I slept on the more affected side (left), the pillow itself would completely muffle the white noise. If I set it on my night stand, I couldn't hear the machine enough for it to help. Since I don't sleep on my back, I was required to sleep on my right side only, which makes for a miserable night.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:35 AM

32,450 posts, read 13,435,224 times
Good posts here and of course everyone is different. I might try try the Magnesium, and thanks for the link LD>

Old 09-17-2012, 02:09 PM

15,855 posts, read 26,015,459 times
I have it also, i just ignore it because i have done a lot of research on it, and there is no cure. So not to get all crazy, i just ignore it.

I do sleep with the white noise machine when the air conditioner is not on, that really does help.

I cannot stand however the roar of any type of air traffic, be it airplane or helicopter or busses rolling down a busy avenue, those engine sounds really put me over the edge, and totally make me cringe.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:04 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,788,118 times
I recommend the book Tinnitus,Turning the Volume down by Kevin Hogan. I have been successfully managing mine with the Anti Depressant Lexapro,Ativan,and sound therapy(which I dont need anymore!)
Simply ingnoring is not an option for most.

Greenchili
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness