U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 05:19 PM

15,904 posts, read 12,695,051 times

Advertisements

I have lived with tinnitus since 1959/1960. I was twelve when I first started to hear the ringing. The first year I shot on my HS rifle team my ears started to ring. Of course, out of school, I also shot every weapon I could get my hands on. However; our HS rifle range had no acoustics back then. It was wimpy to even think about ear protection until a few years later.

Now I don't even think about my problem until I see the word tinnitus (while I am writing; I am more than aware that I still suffer from this condition). I have become rather used to it in 53 years. I also know that it will be worse for months if I shoot my .357 magnum without two sets of ear protectors.

I am always pleased when one of our young pull alongside of me in their car - with the windows shaking from the decibels coming out of their speakers. I think to myself that they might think they are annoying me – but I know that they might have to live with their mistake for the rest of their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 02:22 PM

746 posts, read 1,439,474 times
Have any of you noticed whether your tinnitus gets worse when you have eaten certain foods?
Take special note of MSG or any ingredients listed as "flavoring". The website MSG: a neurotoxic flavor enhancer has more info on the different items that may contain it.
Do you have any other symptoms along with it?
If not you are lucky. I not only have ringing in two different tones along with their overtones, but humming and roaring as well. One time I could have sworn that there was someone in the neighborhood who had a loud engine running. I was about to call the neighbor and ask her if she heard it when my son asked me if I still heard it when I covered my ears.

I have tinnitus in connection with food allergies. It comes and goes according to whatever I ate. When I get into something containing MSG I get a distinctive buzzing sound. Seldom do I have normal silence.
My research reveals that Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibro Myalgia and Food Allergies are just different expressions of the same problem ME stands for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness