U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 11:31 AM

15,849 posts, read 31,177,701 times

Advertisements

Mine is around 140/20.

Back in the day, before physicians were pushing pharmaceuticals as their primary raison d'etre the philosophy that the first number of the blood pressure reading could be as high as your age without indicating any serious problem. This is partially due to the fact that as you age your veins and arteries lose elasticity. Because of this your heart mush push harder to get the blood into the system and keep it going.

Therefore, since I am 55, I consider 140/20 to be quite good. My mothers runs around 170/30, which for 83 aint' bad either.

First of all, NOBODY has died from blood pressure below 200. I challenge ANYONE to find one example of a person who has unmedicated hypertension who has had a stroke or other complication as a result of blood pressure that is 200 or less.

Secondly, if you reduce the blood pressure in an older person they lose cognitive capabilities. They are not getting enough BLOOD TO THE BRAIN which is the purpose of your body increasing the blood pressure as you get older. So many older people appear to be spaced out, out of touch, possibly even showing early signs of senility simply because their blood pressure medicine is keeping their blood pressure TOO LOW and it is resulting in a general fogging of the intellectual mechanism.

I makes me crazy to think of how many older people are being victimized by blood pressure medicine that is lessening their quality of life UNNECESSARILY.

20yrsinBranson

ETA: Sorry, brain dead. I meant for the bottom number to be 80. Hey, I got up too early this morning. My brain does not wake up until noone. LUcky for me I don't take BP Meds. LOL

Last edited by 20yrsinBranson; 08-05-2010 at 12:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 12:15 PM

3,627 posts, read 13,137,744 times
You mean 140/120 (not 140/20!) My understanding is the pulse pressure (the difrerence between systolic and diastolic) may mean more than the basic BP.

Low pulse pressure may indicate blood loss or congestive heart failure and high may be suggestive of hardening of arteries. THe normal pulse pressure is 40.

I am 54 and with diet and excercise have my unmedicated BP at 105/65 (on average - today was 100/68) and the thing that made the most significant change was reducing sodium followed by excercise.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:41 PM

2,185 posts, read 4,266,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Mine is around 140/20.

Back in the day, before physicians were pushing pharmaceuticals as their primary raison d'etre the philosophy that the first number of the blood pressure reading could be as high as your age without indicating any serious problem. This is partially due to the fact that as you age your veins and arteries lose elasticity. Because of this your heart mush push harder to get the blood into the system and keep it going.

Therefore, since I am 55, I consider 140/20 to be quite good. My mothers runs around 170/30, which for 83 aint' bad either.

First of all, NOBODY has died from blood pressure below 200. I challenge ANYONE to find one example of a person who has unmedicated hypertension who has had a stroke or other complication as a result of blood pressure that is 200 or less.

Secondly, if you reduce the blood pressure in an older person they lose cognitive capabilities. They are not getting enough BLOOD TO THE BRAIN which is the purpose of your body increasing the blood pressure as you get older. So many older people appear to be spaced out, out of touch, possibly even showing early signs of senility simply because their blood pressure medicine is keeping their blood pressure TOO LOW and it is resulting in a general fogging of the intellectual mechanism.

I makes me crazy to think of how many older people are being victimized by blood pressure medicine that is lessening their quality of life UNNECESSARILY.

20yrsinBranson

ETA: Sorry, brain dead. I meant for the bottom number to be 80. Hey, I got up too early this morning. My brain does not wake up until noone. LUcky for me I don't take BP Meds. LOL

This is the most wrong thing I have read.. sorry branson. Nothing against you but come on.

My mother is an example of someone with unmedicated hypertension that died of a stoke.

Yes back in the day they considered 160/90 ok and they treated hypertension with valium. I could go on, but I don't want my BP to go up.

Off to go meditate.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Old 08-05-2010, 12:55 PM

3,627 posts, read 13,137,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post

Yes back in the day they considered 160/90 ok and they treated hypertension with valium. I could go on, but I don't want my BP to go up.
Seriously look into the Pulse Pressure info
That would indicate a pulse pressure of 70 which is a severe indication of hardening of arteries and of course that buildup sets up the stage for a stroke or heart attack.

170/130 may, in fact, be better than 130/60 - but then it may just be for men. In any regard - I would rather have a lower blood pressure! There is certainly a lot on the AHA website supporting the allegations concerning high BP.

Hypothesis : Pulse Pressure and Human Longevity -- Aviv 37 (4): 1060 -- Hypertension

Last edited by grannynancy; 08-05-2010 at 01:07 PM..

Old 08-05-2010, 01:38 PM

6,613 posts, read 11,552,689 times
Depends which CD forum I've been reading LMAO

Old 08-05-2010, 04:56 PM

2,185 posts, read 4,266,057 times
This is pretty educational.. it's the 2nd video titled high blood pressure.

He explains why even going over 120/80 is not good.
State of the Heart Cardiology - Grapevine, Texas

Old 08-05-2010, 07:26 PM

15,849 posts, read 31,177,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
This is the most wrong thing I have read.. sorry branson. Nothing against you but come on.

My mother is an example of someone with unmedicated hypertension that died of a stoke.

Off to go meditate.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I am not saying you cannot die of unmedicated hypertension. I am saying you cannot die of unmedicated hypertension that is 200 or less. I am certain that your mothers's "numbers" (for lack of a better word) were astronomical in order to cause a stroke that killed her.

The point I am trying to make is NOT that hypertension should never be treated. Of course it should if it is dangerously high. What I am saying is that in our over-medicated society, people who do NOT NEED drugs are getting them in the name of profit for big pharma.

I'm very sorry to hear about your mother.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-21-2010, 05:39 AM

844 posts, read 2,735,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Mine is highly variable, and I can adjust it downward quite a lot with a couple of hard exhales. Typically around 165/80 if I hold my breath. American doctors say that's too high and Rx for it, but British doctors put it in the marginally acceptable range. I am at very high risk for optic neuropathy, which can cause immediate and permanent blindness with a sudden drop in BP, so I'd rather keep mine high than low.
Not sure where you got your info on "marginally acceptable" blood pressure, but according to the chart, 165/80 is in the high BP range.

From what I've been reading everyone is pretty much in agreement on the ranges, and charts are pretty much standardized now a days

Blood Pressure : Blood pressure chart

Old 11-21-2010, 07:48 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,844,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Its really strange but I got slapped in the hospital at 160/100 because I had an inverted p-wave. p-wave is normal now.

I am maintained now at 120/70 with BP meds but if I miss ......... [not rebound drugs] I am still at 120/70 .............I like the graphic. I am getting a good guage to take my BP daily to take to the doctor to get off the meds.
I think you mean inverted T waves- a sign that your heart muscle wasn't getting enough oxygen because your BP was so high.

I would just carry on taking the tablets- you probably have high blood pressure and it will not go away now!

Old 11-21-2010, 07:54 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,844,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I am not saying you cannot die of unmedicated hypertension. I am saying you cannot die of unmedicated hypertension that is 200 or less. I am certain that your mothers's "numbers" (for lack of a better word) were astronomical in order to cause a stroke that killed her.

The point I am trying to make is NOT that hypertension should never be treated. Of course it should if it is dangerously high. What I am saying is that in our over-medicated society, people who do NOT NEED drugs are getting them in the name of profit for big pharma.

I'm very sorry to hear about your mother.

20yrsinBranson
Please go away and read up on the risks associated with high blood pressure and look at the chart the OP posted.

I am saying you cannot die of unmedicated hypertension that is 200 or less

The BP won't kill you, but the heart attack might!

I am certain that your mothers's "numbers" (for lack of a better word) were astronomical in order to cause a stroke that killed her.

You think strokes happen because one day your BP just goes so high that you have a massive stroke?
Doesn't work like that-it's a long term thing and the severity of stroke is not related to BP.

If BP is more than 160 you need it DOWN, especially if there are other risk factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness