Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 08:25 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times

Advertisements

Up until around 5 years ago, my blood pressure was pretty steady at around 90/60. All my life. Borderline low blood pressure. Around 5 years ago it went up somewhat, and now stays around 100/65. I've never been medicated for blood pressure problems. My cholesteral is borderline, but still within the realm of normal. My triglicerides are also borderline. I'm borderline anemic, and have been all my life, but never enough to medicate. Not bad for an overweight, ominvorous, cheese-addicted 50-year-old ex-smoker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 12:54 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Before my heart attack my BP was 185/130. After my heart attack with the quadruple by pass and Metropolol my BP is around 100/67. The doc also has me on Digoxin. I'll be 63 in a couple of months.
Both my doc and my cardiologist tell me the best way to keep my BP down is:

~ Don't watch any news shows or read newspapers
~ Don't get into arguments with anyone
~ Stay away from my beloved Expresso coffee
~ Don't get into arguments with my neighbors

No heavy lifting etc etc.... What a life to adjust to.... Forced me to retire, was also diagnosed with COPD and 50% loss of my kidneys.

I'm supposed to be on a low sodium, low cholesterol diet. The low sodium part is pretty easy, the butter is harder to give up but I've cut way back. I switched from regular milk to Silk milk, not bad, much better than that 2% milk....

Last edited by plwhit; 11-22-2010 at 01:04 AM..

Old 11-22-2010, 09:24 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Please go away and read up on the risks associated with high blood pressure and look at the chart the OP posted.

I am saying you cannot die of unmedicated hypertension that is 200 or less

The BP won't kill you, but the heart attack might!
High blood pressure is secondary to the plaque build up in arteries. If you do not have plaque build up, high blood pressure IN AND OF ITSELF cannot cause a heart attack.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-22-2010, 01:15 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,416,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I don't know and don't care.

Why do you?
SO DON'T BLOODY POST THEN.

Usually, mine has been about 100/60. However, in July this year before I had a gastroscopy it measured a whopping (for me) 133/69. Scary, never saw it so high. Confusing.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:45 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,014,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
High blood pressure is secondary to the plaque build up in arteries. If you do not have plaque build up, high blood pressure IN AND OF ITSELF cannot cause a heart attack.

20yrsinBranson

Educate yourself please! You are dangerous if you tell others not to worry about their BP

The Effects of Untreated High Blood Pressure - myOptumHealth

High Blood Pressure

Old 11-22-2010, 06:49 PM

541 posts, read 2,138,483 times
Mine is normally around 110/60

Old 11-23-2010, 07:57 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,430,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
Makes no sense!

Plaque is formed from calcium and cholesterol, yes and a plaque can rupture and move to the heart or brain, or over time ,the artery maybe in the brain or heart becomes so narrowed that they obstruct the blood flow.
That is atherosclerosis, and it is ONE of the mechanisms for heart attacks and stroke.

When the blood pressure of the blood is too high, this is equivalent to running your home water system on too high a pressure. Pretty soon leaks and breakages will start to appear.
In your body, your arteries are most directly affected.

High BP on it's own causes trauma to the arteries which can result in rough surfaces inside the artery.
This can activate the blood clotting process creating an embolus which then can block the blood vessel and cause a heart attack or stroke.

I've worked with stroke patients for 6 years,in ER and research and , believe me , they don't all have high cholesterol and neither do they all have high blood pressure, but at least 80% of them have one.

High BP damages the kidneys and eyes.

High Blood pressure can cause damage to the very small arteries in the brain and over time this leads to loss of ability to reason, memory, etc, which can become full blown vascular dementia over time.
I have to wonder, when your argument is so illogical, that maybe you have the start of this due to uncontrolled high BP.
I would get it checked out.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:31 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
So whats your blood pressure?

As a rule, somewhere in the 110/80 range.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:56 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,014,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Makes no sense!

Plaque is formed from calcium and cholesterol, yes and a plaque can rupture and move to the heart or brain, or over time ,the artery maybe in the brain or heart becomes so narrowed that they obstruct the blood flow.
That is atherosclerosis, and it is ONE of the mechanisms for heart attacks and stroke.

When the blood pressure of the blood is too high, this is equivalent to running your home water system on too high a pressure. Pretty soon leaks and breakages will start to appear.
In your body, your arteries are most directly affected.

High BP on it's own causes trauma to the arteries which can result in rough surfaces inside the artery.
This can activate the blood clotting process creating an embolus which then can block the blood vessel and cause a heart attack or stroke.

I've worked with stroke patients for 6 years,in ER and research and , believe me , they don't all have high cholesterol and neither do they all have high blood pressure, but at least 80% of them have one.

High BP damages the kidneys and eyes.

High Blood pressure can cause damage to the very small arteries in the brain and over time this leads to loss of ability to reason, memory, etc, which can become full blown vascular dementia over time.
I have to wonder, when your argument is so illogical, that maybe you have the start of this due to uncontrolled high BP.
I would get it checked out.

She stated her BP was 140/20 and her mothers was 170/30. She has noo clue about BP

Old 11-23-2010, 06:33 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,849 times
90/62 at the doctor's two days ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness