U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 06:42 PM

12,427 posts, read 12,002,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
20 years ago, I went thru a milder version of the Afrin experience you describe. Upon recovery, I've avoided that drug like the plague. Afrin is nasty stuff. I wouldn't wish that crap on my worst enemy. Do yourself a big favor and avoid using Afrin no matter what.

Neti pots are wonderful. Serrapeptase also work wonders for the sinuses ( I discoverd this inadvertently when I recently used serrapeptase as an alternative to Ibuprophen for toothache pain. It didn't do a whole lot for the toothache, but it cleared up my sinuses almost overnite. I've been using it regularly for a couple of months now, and my sinuses are much better. No problems this year during pollen season ).
I started this separate thread off Cosmic Wizard's post on another thread about becoming addicted to nasal strays because it's too far off-topic. In a nutshell, if you read the link on serrapeptase it says that aspirin is not a blood thinner---that it doesn't make the blood flow thinner but...well, here's the quote:

Quote:
Firstly Aspirin is NOT a blood thinner such as Warfarin. Aspirin is an anti-inflammatory as are all proteolytic enzymes. They cause the blood to flow normally, not thinner than normal by stopping the inflammation in the blood stream that causes blood clotting.
But if you goggle "is aspirin a blood thinner" you get a million website that say it is. This serrapeptase sounds like interesting stuff but if the person hawking it is spreading disinformation I'd be inclined not to trust what he has to say about a new "miracle" substance. Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 08:26 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,339,074 times
How Does Aspirin Work in the Body? | eHow.com

My understanding is that aspirin prevents blood clots by making platelets less "sticky." There's a basic, but useful (I think) explanation at the link. I don't think that it's anti-thrombolic properties have anything to do with it's anti-inflammatory properties, but I could be wrong.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:31 PM

4,551 posts, read 10,479,378 times
Ok I think Asprin is first an anti-inflamatory and has the side effect of the "blood thinner". I guess it might make the blood more slippery so to speak I wouldn't use Asprin though for any blood stuff unless under the direct guidance of a DR.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:41 PM

12,576 posts, read 13,710,214 times
My Dad is on blood thinners & I take a daily asprin as recommended by my doctor (because I'm over 40) and I can tell you that now when I cut myself it:
a) takes alot less of a cut or scrape to make me bleed
b) takes a hell of a lot longer to get it to stop
just as it has the same effect as the blood thinners IMO.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:45 PM

4,551 posts, read 10,479,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
My Dad is on blood thinners & I take a daily asprin as recommended by my doctor (because I'm over 40) and I can tell you that now when I cut myself it:
a) takes alot less of a cut or scrape to make me bleed
b) takes a hell of a lot longer to get it to stop
just as it has the same effect as the blood thinners IMO.
What is happening inside your body is very different though.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:43 PM

5,349 posts, read 11,513,853 times
Aspirin is an anti inflammatory agent

Aspirin is also an anti platelet agent

The term "blood thinner" is a misnomer.

Blood clots in response to an injury to the epithelial lining of a blood vessel. The first phase of blood clotting is the formation of a platelet plug. The next phase involves strands of fibrin forming to stabilize and build upon the platelet plug. There are two pathways to form fibrin, an intrinisic and an extrinsic pathway. Together these pathways form the coagulation cascade.

Warfarin or Coumadin interrupts the extrinsic pathway which interferes with the production of fibrin.

Heparin and its analogs like Lovenox interrupt the intrinsic pathway also interfering with fibrin production.

Aspirin blocks cyclooxygenase which results in platelets losing their ability to adhere to one another. The effect of aspirin on platelets is irreversible, so platelets exposed to aspirin are permanently impaired.

Other NSAID's also effect the ability of platelets to adhere but the effect is reversible.

That is hemostasis in a nutshell....there are other agents like Plavix, aggrenox, etc. which have similar anti platelet effects.

So.....folks taking coumadin, heparin, lovenox, aspirin, aggrenox, plavix, hirudin etc. DON'T have blood that is THINNER.....it doesn't flow better, isn't "more slippery", isn't more "watery".....it is simply less likely to form a clot in response to injury.....

Old 01-26-2010, 11:19 PM

Good responses, especially from bluedevilz. Thanks. I will relate this "little" tidbit: I was in a car accident and my head got jarred really bad. At the time I was taking an aspirin a day for the "health' benefits. Well, it turns out that aspirin thinned my blood out so bad that I developed a slow-leaking double hematoma. For a month I walked around with a splitting headache, not knowing that my brain was bleeding. One night I woke up at 2 AM and just knew that something was wrong with me. I drove myself (half-hour drive) to emergency, all the while just on the verge of passing out. If I had I would have died. Got there, told them about the accident. They doubted anything was wrong but decided after consulting to just do a CAT scan for the hell of it. They had me in surgery within 2 hours. By the grace of God I didn't die through all this. Moral: watch out for that aspirin.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:31 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,878,892 times
Glad to read you are alright.

Loved the analogy referring aspirin to making the blood slippery (from one of the other posters). I will use it in the future when teaching people about aspirin. It is comparable for purposes of understanding, in my opinion.

For the sake of argument, I was curious about serrapeptase. The -ase in the end of the name indicates an enzyme. Now; from the gut of a silkworm - that was interesting. I would proceed with caution with that as you have experienced what something as well known as aspirin can do.

Good Luck to you.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:37 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,297,952 times
Some of these posts have been very informative. I've been on aspirin for 14 yrs. Initialy 325 mg but now 81 mg but with Plavix.
Since I am active and like to work on stuff I get cut once in awhile. I can tell I do bleed longer and heavier than I used to for similar small cuts. I take it that the blood isn't actualy thinner, it takes longer for it to start clotting.
I heard a doctor say Plavix, etc, is a trauma surgeons worst nightmare when major injuries are involved.
I still ride a motorcycle. (Not in the winter though) Have for over 40 yrs. Never been injured.
But it makes me think about getting in a accident and bleeding out from an injury because of the medicine I am on that might not have caused the same result before the medicine.
Hopefully being a careful and experienced rider will let me enjoy a few more years of riding. But then the same thing could happen in a car accident. But it does make me think about things.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:00 AM

One interesting thing I also will note about blood thinning is that I was juicing greens heavy duty for a while---kale, collards, chard----all together, ugh. As you might know greens contain an incredible amount of Vit. K. Even though I was taking baby aspirin daily and Omega 3's (blood thinners) I noticed a few times I gave myself a cut that it would hardly bleed. It made me worry about the potential of serious overdose of Vit k to the point that I might develop clots. I stopped with the greens, actually for other reasons (because the tremendous amount of gas they created caused PVC's in my heart, which stopped the day I stopped the the greens). I now just juice carrots and add barley and green powders. Moral: Beware of too much Vit. K---it is a coagulant and might make you susceptible to clots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness