U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 07:54 PM

19,865 posts, read 58,017,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Why would someone use a catheter for convenience? It is like a bacterial highway. I thought you only use a catheter if the bladder could not void or maybe post surgery [my experience] until you are ambulatory again.
Some poorly run nursing homes use them for convenience, not having to changes sheets/clothing too many times. It's really criminal in my book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 05:38 PM

15,408 posts, read 20,637,640 times
Can a UTI in a senior/elderly women create a 'babbling' side effect?

Another yes here. The first sign of a UTI in my then-85-year old mother was always hallucinating and odd behavior. She's been on that med that's widely advertised to prevent prostate problems in men (cant remember the name) for many years and hasnt had a UTI since.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:13 PM

18,677 posts, read 22,465,972 times
I just googled this topic because a good friend of mine at 63, a friend for 40 years, just ended up in a LTC care facility due to serious complications with a UTI, which went to her spine, so she's telling me.

She's incontinent, can't even walk or get out of bed, it happened about 2 months ago. I just learned of it, as I hadn't heard from her in a couple months, very odd, given she's always been responsive to my emails.

She's completely given up, sees no hope, only wants to die. Have no idea what to do for her.

She thinks, during a 2 month road trip, she might have gotten negligent on drinking fluids, and that might have contributed to it. And from the previous posts, there's some debate on this subject, altho' not conclusive.

Mind you, she was an RN before retiring last year!

Old 12-22-2010, 11:19 PM

18,677 posts, read 22,465,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Some poorly run nursing homes use them for convenience, not having to changes sheets/clothing too many times. It's really criminal in my book.
I work in a LTC facility, and do you know what's been happening in these facilities due to all the cutbacks in Medicare/Medicaid?

Cutbacks have forced me to take care of 25 patients on the night shift, someone calls in sick, no one willing to come to fill in, then that count goes up to 33 or 34.

And, in addition to that, they're hiring all these new CNA's out of school for $10 an hour, and? At that wage, they're only going to do the bare minimum.
Change a diaper once every 8-hour shift, that's doing good for many of these new hires.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:53 PM

19,865 posts, read 58,017,760 times
I agree, the cutbacks in all healthcare is criminal. Hospitals are trying to do more with less, as well. I think I will just shoot myself when the time comes.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,377 times
My Dad has hallucinated a lot with a UTI. He did not show an elevated white blood count so waited another week to see sediment in the urine by then he was really bad. He had no obvious fever. He has never had anything that looked like a seizure with it.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:43 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,482,465 times
My great-aunt has had multiple UTIs over the past decade or so that we've been caring for her. We now know to have our family doc run a urinalysis at the first sign of a change in her mental status.

Many times, she is asymptomatic with the typical symptoms such as burning with urination, fever, etc., but the mental status goes. Usually her telltale symptoms involve slurring of speech and, as mentioned earlier in this thread, at times incoherent babbling. Also, she typically has more wet diapers once the infection starts.

Something we started doing with her last course of antibiotics was giving her very high quality probiotic capsules from the healthfood store. This coupled with cranberry capsules has kept her UTI free for almost a year now, and she just turned 98! Unless you are on Coumadin, this may be something to explore.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:31 AM

3 posts, read 7,602 times
my mom's doc suggested a foley to decrease her UTI's, he said it would keep the infected urine out of her body. We thought that it would actually make the risk for infection worse.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:37 AM

3 posts, read 7,602 times
We "Know" our mom has an infection when she gets a little shakey and she begins to see things, but it seems like they are sick of us at the dr's office....they tell us that those things are not signs of an infection and to wait for a fever and or maybe they can see her in a few days. A few times she has actually ended up getting a very high fever and being admited to the hospital. It is so difficult to keep a good relationship with some of these dr.'s as they are not willing to accept that we know our parents better than they do.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:29 PM

574 posts, read 935,211 times
Mom has had good and bad days with Dementia but when I was told how rapidly she was deteriorating, more incontinent, shakier than usual and hallucinating more, I had a feeling it was UTI related as she has had problems with infections for years. I think it's related to hygiene issues and all she usually would do was take cranberry juice. When I mentioned she could be suffering from an infection, he said she starting taking cranberry juice a week earlier and wasn't complaining about pain. He did collect a urine sample and brought it to her Dr. It's been a week and hasn't heard back from the Dr. so he thinks the juice did the trick. She also seems more stable and less shaky. I wish he would take her to a Urologist as this is a recurring issue. So easy to just blame everything on Dementia or AD and not go the extra mile. Oh and I am 3000 miles away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness