U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 01:23 PM

8,415 posts, read 36,122,006 times

Advertisements

Anytime I moved great distances there was an immune adjustment period. It usually took me about 6 months.

L.A. does not import as heavily as NYC either. More fresh strange germs you are not used to.

I suggest to wear a mask if you need to ride the subway. Always wear leather gloves in the winter.

If you are always getting sick that can be a sign of HIV. 1 in 70 NYers have AIDS.

HIV/AIDS Information : NYC DOHMH

Get tested. Its free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 03:28 PM

3,440 posts, read 7,380,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Anytime I moved great distances there was an immune adjustment period. It usually took me about 6 months.

L.A. does not import as heavily as NYC either. More fresh strange germs you are not used to.

I suggest to wear a mask if you need to ride the subway. Always wear leather gloves in the winter.

If you are always getting sick that can be a sign of HIV. 1 in 70 NYers have AIDS.

HIV/AIDS Information : NYC DOHMH

Get tested. Its free.
I thought DC was the epicenter?

"New York City remains the epicenter of the HIV/AIDS epidemic in the U.S. More than 100,000 New Yorkers are living with HIV, but thousands don’t know they’re infected.
"

Old 11-16-2011, 11:44 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,669,385 times
You will get sick a lot when you move to a new place because you have to develop an immunity to the local germs.

NYC also has lots of people from every where moving through so there will always be a barrage of new germs you need to deal with. That, and it is very dense and people are exposed to each other at a higher level than LA.

Here are some tips that may be helpful:

1. If you share a laundry facility, wash all your laundry with hot water to kill germs that were left behind in the washer by other people. It is best if you have your own washing machine and dryer. If you cannot wash in hot water due to delicates, use a little bit of vinegar as a sanitizing agent.

2. Wash your hands often, when you come home, before you eat.

3. Avoid holding subway rails directly- hold them using a handkerchief or glove if you can or just wrap your arm around it instead of using your hand. Carry anti-bac wipes and if you feel you have touched something unsanitary and you can't get to sink, use the wipes.

4. Get plently of good sleep and rest.

5. Decrease stress as much as possible including stress from environmental and noise pollution. That is hard to do in NYC, but you can mitigate it by taking up yoga or meditation, exercising, and taking trips out of the busy, noisy city to quiet places when you can.

6. Get flu vaccinations every year.

7. Make sure to visit your doctor for your annual physical exam.

8. Eat a healthy, balanced diet.

9. Make sure to get lots of Vitamin D- with less sunlight, people's skin cannot produce vitamin D and they must rely on ingestion of it- so drink lots of low-fat milk or dairy, and take a Vitamin D supplement. Vitamin D is essential for many things including immune function. When you visit your doctor for your annual physical and blood test, ask them to test for vitamin D levels so you can see where they are at. Also get vitamin C too.

10. Every once in a while, use alcohol on a cotton ball to sanitize your cell phone, keys, and other surfaces/items you touch regularly by wiping it down. It is amazing how much bacteria has been found on cell phones in the studies conducted.

11. Make sure to dress warm enough - wool coats, parkas, cashmere, wool, gloves, thermals for under shirts and pants, scarves, earmuffs- carry a scarf or ear muffs with you on very cold days so you don't get caught outside with them.

12. When you do start to feel under the weather, try to nip it in the bud by taking an Airborne tablet right away.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:45 PM

2 posts, read 4,071 times
Default Also Sick

I moved to NYC from St. Louis and have been sick on and off for the past three months (I moved 6 months ago). I am also getting sinus infections, sore throat and fatigue, as well as ear infections. I've definitely had a lot of stress here with crazy roommates, moving, dogwalking all over the city while looking for jobs, and being poor. I finally got a job but I am still sick all the time, even though I take public transit a lot less. I can't afford to keep going to urgent care and am really frustrated. I eat healthy and am normally a fitness fanatic but now I can hardly work out. I am wondering if a lot of people get sick when moving here and adjusting to all the germs, and if so how long the adjustment takes...?

Old 07-03-2012, 06:02 PM

19,865 posts, read 58,012,146 times
Start taking astragalus, it boosts your immune system and helps. You are likely allergic to something new in the city. I had a good 3 months or so after I moved across the country before I developed allergies to the new flora and fauna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness