U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 12:43 PM

35 posts, read 49,441 times

Advertisements

I have had it basically all my life and I don't think it is going to go away any time soon at all. I'm 26 and my eczema appears to be chronic. When I was a kid, I don't recall having them for a long time being like for a month. Now as a adult, I have eczema spots mainly on my legs and arms (sometimes on my face) and it would constantly disappear then appear and vice versa for a few years now. I always have eczema on my inner elbow that they would go away with some help of hydrocortisones (1%, I believe) but it is not a cure so they would reappear.

Not too long ago, I began having it on my legs and every night I would feel the ultimate need to itch. It would bleed a bit, but not so much. I don't think it warrants for psoriasis, since my legs only have some red spots, not white.

As for treatments, I have been prescribed Elidel when I was 19, 20 and I found that it might potentially cause cancers. I feared about the risk so I quit using it soon after. Prior to Elidel, my doctor prescribed me cream but being so young, I can't remember the name of it and it is no longer in the making. I guess FDA banned it. Anyway, I feel like my hope is crushed and I am afraid that I would not get dermatologically better at all so I don't bother to go see the dermatologist.

Is there a light on the end of the tunnel for me regarding my annoying eczema?

Last edited by Zuey; 01-30-2010 at 01:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 03:21 PM

8,955 posts, read 18,203,778 times
I have three spots of Eczema that I "manage" with hydrocortisones creams and that's the best help my doctor can offer. Darn!

Old 01-31-2010, 10:41 AM

Ugh, we're pretty much stuck in a rut. I'm doing the same thing as you.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:01 AM

4,267 posts, read 5,450,146 times
A lot (not all) of times eczema is caused by food allergies/intolerance. Have you ever tried or considered an elimination diet?

Old 01-31-2010, 11:58 AM

8,955 posts, read 18,203,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
A lot (not all) of times eczema is caused by food allergies/intolerance. Have you ever tried or considered an elimination diet?
I've thought about it but I eat everything put in front of me ,raw or cooked, so there would be no common trigger food to find in my case.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I haven't. I can put that into consideration even though I don't have any known food allergies.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:42 PM

4,267 posts, read 5,450,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuey View Post
I haven't. I can put that into consideration even though I don't have any known food allergies.
You could have a food intolerance and not know it, many people do. Dairy is the most common culprit, although it could be eggs, soy, wheat, peanuts or seafood.

If you are interested in trying an elimination diet you could remove all dairy (read food labels since dairy is a hidden ingredient in many pre-packaged foods such as bread, cookies, etc.) from your diet for a full month ( it can stay in your system for 3 weeks, so a month is a good time frame) and see if symptoms improve. If you do this it'd be best to avoid soy as well since many people who are intolerant to dairy are also intolerant to soy. If symptoms improve, drink a tall glass of milk at the end of the month and see if symptoms return.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
You could have a food intolerance and not know it, many people do. Dairy is the most common culprit, although it could be eggs, soy, wheat, peanuts or seafood.

If you are interested in trying an elimination diet you could remove all dairy (read food labels since dairy is a hidden ingredient in many pre-packaged foods such as bread, cookies, etc.) from your diet for a full month ( it can stay in your system for 3 weeks, so a month is a good time frame) and see if symptoms improve. If you do this it'd be best to avoid soy as well since many people who are intolerant to dairy are also intolerant to soy. If symptoms improve, drink a tall glass of milk at the end of the month and see if symptoms return.
I could try, knowing it's a very challenging thing to do. And I don't drink soy.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:35 PM

17,516 posts, read 16,345,649 times
See these threads also. Good luck.
//www.city-data.com/forum/healt...re-eczema.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/healt...-children.html

Old 02-12-2010, 09:08 PM

81 posts, read 425,654 times
Try the bleach bath a few times. It has worked with some people and it doesn't cost much. You can research on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness