U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 08:42 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,672,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
Welcome. I'm not endorsing anything, nor am I selling anything; let along foam mattresses (lol). What I posted made logical sense that you get what you pay for...With that being said, I'm sure some people would rather buy a new topper for $100 year after year than spend $700 now for an item that would last 10 years

I'm the kind of person that would spend quite a bit but my friend ... he'll spend on others but he's rather frugal when it comes to his own needs.
I'm going to try to talk him into spending some more money on himself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 01:02 PM

8 posts, read 18,913 times
We have one and just love it

Old 02-01-2010, 01:11 PM

8,415 posts, read 36,124,219 times
You should look at overstock's selection. I would not talk him into overspending. That can make someone really anxious and he won't enjoy it or could add stress to it. Maybe just give him a gift certificate towards it?

I layered (4) some of that egg crate foam over my grams mattress before this whole sensation. Worked fine.

He may get back and knee relief with a full body pillow.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:08 PM

8,955 posts, read 18,228,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Hmmmmm, i hear you.
Thank you.
I was thinking about this product which is a memory foam and if he got the queen without the cover it would cost $185. See? Not to expensive.
I was going to call them tomorrow to make sure it wasn't treated like the other one i was considering. Latex foam is hypo allergenic (think neutral to all allergies)
They guarantee it for a year (satisfaction guaranteed) and then also there's a manufacturers guarantee that is, i think, for 10 years.
Memory Foam Mattress Topper Pads
If i'm understanding you the memory foam provides more support because it doesn't compress fully? Only IF you get ultra dense foam. latex will do more at a lighter weight foam.
In other words, are you saying that the memory foam compresses all the way down to the surface it's on while the latex does not? That's right
Do you know what i'm saying and is that what you're saying? yep
And is the one you recommend (that you provided the link to) the same as the one that you have?
Yes, different make but still 100% latex foam topper. Wouldn't trade it for anything else.
Latex also will not attract or harbor dust mites, fleas, bed bugs or other critters so I like knowing I'm free of bugs.

Whoa! First of all I was NOT talking about memory foam. I was talking LATEX FOAM RUBBER. You know the real all natural rubber foam material not the man made junk.

Latex foam has a lot going for it........
"Latex Foam is widely considered one of the ideal sleeping surfaces available today. Naturally harvested from rubber trees, the material offers benefits that are hard to find in other mattresses.

Simmons Products: Memory Foam and Latex Foam

Latex Mattresses & 100% Natural Latex Mattresses, Toppers & Pillows

Bottom line, latex is perfect for people who understand the importance of a good mattress and are willing to pay extra for it, but don't like the 'melting' and warm feeling of the memory foam.

Last edited by Grandpa Pipes; 02-01-2010 at 06:17 PM..

Old 02-01-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Yes, different make but still 100% latex foam topper. Wouldn't trade it for anything else.
Latex also will not attract or harbor dust mites, fleas, bed bugs or other critters so I like knowing I'm free of bugs.

Whoa! First of all I was NOT talking about memory foam. I was talking LATEX FOAM RUBBER. You know the real all natural rubber foam material not the man made junk.

Latex foam has a lot going for it........
"Latex Foam is widely considered one of the ideal sleeping surfaces available today. Naturally harvested from rubber trees, the material offers benefits that are hard to find in other mattresses.

Simmons Products: Memory Foam and Latex Foam

Latex Mattresses & 100% Natural Latex Mattresses, Toppers & Pillows

Bottom line, latex is perfect for people who understand the importance of a good mattress and are willing to pay extra for it, but don't like the 'melting' and warm feeling of the memory foam.
I did a lot of googling / researching last night and i've come to the conclusion that your recommendation is a very good one.
And i talked to my friend about it and he agrees .... latex.
I've found two sites and now the one you've provided is a 3rd option.
The 2nd one is a bit over $100 more expensive for a what looks like the exact same product but it's so difficult to ascertain that on-line.
But i liked their customer service a lot better and they have a 180 day money back guarantee and i'm not sure about the other one in that regard.
So, i'm getting there and i appreciate your advice and i'm glad that i've been educated about the advantages of latex.
I also very much like that natural latex is naturally anti microbial, etc. and that it doesn't need to be treated with all of that poison the way that many of the memory foam toppers are.

Natural Latex Mattress Topper | 100% Natural Latex Topper | Latex Mattress Topper

Latex Mattress Topper Pads

Old 02-01-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I did a lot of googling / researching last night and i've come to the conclusion that your recommendation is a very good one.
And i talked to my friend about it and he agrees .... latex.
I've found two sites and now the one you've provided is a 3rd option.
The 2nd one is a bit over $100 more expensive for a what looks like the exact same product but it's so difficult to ascertain that on-line.
But i liked their customer service a lot better and they have a 180 day money back guarantee and i'm not sure about the other one in that regard.
So, i'm getting there and i appreciate your advice and i'm glad that i've been educated about the advantages of latex.
I also very much like that natural latex is naturally anti microbial, etc. and that it doesn't need to be treated with all of that poison the way that many of the memory foam toppers are.

Natural Latex Mattress Topper | 100% Natural Latex Topper | Latex Mattress Topper

Latex Mattress Topper Pads
One last word.....
understand that the foam pound weight per square foot equals the density of the latex foam, which in turn equals soft or stiff, with stiff being the denser foam.

Also understand that latex foam DOES NOT LIKE TO BE ROUGH HANDLED (it will tear) so when you flip or otherwise handle the pad .....get help and STAY AWAY FROM THE EDGES. A pad cover helps a lot with handling. Handled right and kept out of direct sunlight there is no reason a quality latex foam pad won't last 20+ years.

Look for talalay latex foam (a grade of latex foam) to get premium all 100% natural latex rubber foam for the very best long lasting foam money can buy. Talalay latex foam is ohhhhhh soooooooo comfortable!!!!

Last edited by Grandpa Pipes; 02-01-2010 at 08:29 PM..

Old 02-01-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
One last word.....
understand that the foam pound weight per square foot equals the density of the latex foam, which in turn equals soft or stiff, with stiff being the denser foam.

Also understand that latex foam DOES NOT LIKE TO BE ROUGH HANDLED (it will tear) so when you flip or otherwise handle the pad .....get help and STAY AWAY FROM THE EDGES. A pad cover helps a lot with handling. Handled right and kept out of direct sunlight there is no reason a quality latex foam pad won't last 20+ years.

Look for talalay latex foam (a grade of latex foam) to get premium all 100% natural latex rubber foam for the very best long lasting foam money can buy. Talalay latex foam is ohhhhhh soooooooo comfortable!!!!
Ah, another good tip.
Thank you so much.
I will find a talalay latex topper .. just googled it and i see ... many options and i've already seen a couple of sites that look very good.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Ah, another good tip.
Thank you so much.
I will find a talalay latex topper .. just googled it and i see ... many options and i've already seen a couple of sites that look very good.
In closing........
My great aunt had a talalay latex foam topper on her bed when she passed away at 93 in 2004. She bought that pad in 1959 and used it every night to help her sleep due to a back injury from a bus accident during WWII.

The pad was still serviceable after all that time but was to worn on the edges to re-use so I retired it into a couple of project I did. That is the value of latex foam. I only hope my topper last as long as Aunt Nellie's did!

Best of luck and happy hunting.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
In closing........
My great aunt had a talalay latex foam topper on her bed when she passed away at 93 in 2004. She bought that pad in 1959 and used it every night to help her sleep due to a back injury from a bus accident during WWII.

The pad was still serviceable after all that time but was to worn on the edges to re-use so I retired it into a couple of project I did. That is the value of latex foam. I only hope my topper last as long as Aunt Nellie's did!

Best of luck and happy hunting.
Thank you ... one more question (i hope) if you don't mind and maybe you've already answered this but i don't think so.
My friend is close to 180 lbs. ... not fat but just a big and tall man.
Is a 2" topper thick enough or would a 3" be better?
He's putting the topper on top of one of those aerobeds which he insists will be o.k.
I wish he'd just bought a good latex mattress to begin with but he's so darn frugal when it comes to his own needs!
I'm overwhelmed by all the web sites and i've called a few and i'm not getting the most helpful or friendly service.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Thank you ... one more question (i hope) if you don't mind and maybe you've already answered this but i don't think so.
My friend is close to 180 lbs. ... not fat but just a big and tall man.
Is a 2" topper thick enough or would a 3" be better? Hmm...IMO the 2" would be best considering his bed.
He's putting the topper on top of one of those aerobeds which he insists will be o.k. This could be a problem for any pad but the 2" 5 lb foam will work best IMO
I wish he'd just bought a good latex mattress to begin with but he's so darn frugal when it comes to his own needs! I doubt that he would have done this since 100% latex foam bed is mega expensive.
I'm overwhelmed by all the web sites and i've called a few and i'm not getting the most helpful or friendly service. Would you like some assistance? DM me if you do. I'm retired and have time to kill aplenty in winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness