Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 06:18 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

I'm becoming very frustrated with finding skin care and makeup products that don't irritate my skin. I'd love to find skin care and makeup products that improve my skin, but for now I'll settle for finding products that just don't irritate my skin.

My first determatologist appointment isn't until September. I'm mostly looking to get on the antibiotics and maybe laser surgery. In the meantime, I need relief. And I wouldn't mind finding makeup products so I can feel pretty too!

I haven't found one moisturizer that doesn't irriate my face. Eucerine works fine for my body.

I've only found success in locating a soap and a shampoo that doesn't irritate my skin. Cetaphil soap for my face and body. KMS California Head Remedy shampoo for my hair and scalp.

I tried a new foundation made my Clarins and my skin has been BURNING all day today. I've been doing research and I'm torn over which makeup to try next. There's a special mineral makup that can only be bought at plastic surgeon's offices (or online). It's supposed to be the least irritating makeup available. I'm also considering Mary Kay.

It's frightening to try new things. Two years ago, I tried an undereye cream and my eyes itched for three straight weeks even though I only used the cream ONCE.

If you've had any successes, I'd love to hear what works for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 09:09 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,377 times
What facial moisturizer do you use?

I don't have rosacea but I do get occassional redness in my face for no apparent reason. I use Oil of Olay for sensitive skin and it works well for me.

I can't remember if it was Clinique or some other cosmetic company but they are running ads in magazines right now about a powder that is specifically for redness. If I remember the name/brand later I'll get back to you.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

Old 05-07-2009, 09:15 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,371,410 times
I have rosacea. I use Merle Norman's foundation and skin care products. I have tried everything...I like MN the best.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:24 AM

332 posts, read 1,430,949 times
Well, ironically, my dermatologist rx'd stuff that made my face react the WORST I've ever had... so beware if you are hoping he/she will be the magic bullet. Ha. They put me on a very expensive cream ($60 on insurance, who knows what without) and antibiotics... the cream destroyed my face... It's been almost a year and it's still not the same. Hopefully, you will have a better experience.

I just have to not wash my face everyday. I know it sounds gross... but that's really all I've found that works. I just rinse it in the shower.

Clinique now makes redness specific products... bought them, tried them... would only suggest the moisturizer... it's VERY thick... doesn't help with the redness but doesn't seem to irritate me and also the green base pre-make up. It's AWESOME... love it... put foundation on over it and I have no more redness without looking all "made-up" like with the mineral makeups the derm will suggest to you!!

The only foundations I use are Mary Kay and Clinique... just Clinique now but Mary Kay worked before...

As for face washes... my fave was one that they don't make anymore (of course) and it was perfect... I use a lot of Burt's Bee's products... and about once a week, I use clinique's skin care with mild liquid soap, exfoliating, toner, and the moisture gel plus my redness gel.

Rosacea is hard for sure.

Good luck.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:48 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,665,410 times
I suffered from rosacea, especially in the winter time. Then I decided to take 2 years of from work for personal enrichment (laziness). I stopped wearing makeup which used to be a lite foundation and powder and blush. After about 6 months, it cleared up. I am 58.
I wonder if it is the clogging of the pores we do with makeup and creams that cause it in the first place. My advice is to use a baby soap on your face, and wash off your makeup as soon as you get home and go without makeup as much as possible.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:22 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,631,710 times
I use the Clinique Redness Solutions (cleanser, moisturizer, tinted SPF makeup base - all three in a starter kit) and their new mineral makeup for redness, and I have been thrilled with the system. The cleanser is truly gentle, no burning or stinging and doesn't over dry. The moisturizer is heavier than I normally use and I was worried it would break me out, but it hasn't. My face feels softer than it has in years. The makeup base is a nice high quality product, the green really tones down the red without leaving a visible green tone the way the Eucerin redness products do (on me anyways).

The first three products visibly reduce my redness a little more with each step. They contain caffeine which I think is the key to their effectiveness - it is a vasoconstrictor. I have not had a major flush since I started using it, despite being exposed to my triggers as usual, and my persistent redness has retreated. The mineral makeup leaves me looking natural, and the redness is almost completely cancelled. The brush it comes with kind of sucks though, I use Bare Escentuals brushes instead - a kabuki brush for the overall application and blending, and a full coverage face brush to apply more on my most troublesome areas.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:11 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,741 times
I don't have Rosacea but I do have very sensitive skin.

For soap I use Dr. Bronner's Pure Castile Soap. For moisturizer I use pure jojoba oil. Jojoba oil closely matches the natural oils of our skin. It is very gentle. Just put one small drop between the palms of your hands, rub together and pat onto your face. You only need a tiny amount. For makeup, I like Everyday Minerals. Not all mineral makeup is created equally so be careful to aviod brands that contain irritants such as talc and bismuth oxychloride. Some mineral makeups also contain fragrances and chemicals, you definitely want to avoid those.

Good luck!

Last edited by Dorthy; 05-09-2009 at 11:20 AM..

Old 05-09-2009, 08:22 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,601,042 times
I have extremely sensitive fair skin and rosacea on my chin and nose only.

My dermatologist prescribed Finacea 15% gel for me about two years ago (to be applied to the chin and nose only) and I have only had one very mild rosacea flareup since. (knock wood!!!) That flareup was during a time of very high stress and I'm sure that's what triggered it more than anything else.

Finacea is gentler than Retin-A which was tried originally and didn't work. I apply the Finacea just at bedtime after showering.

I also stopped wearing makeup about 10 years ago and have noticed that my skin (which reacts to EVERYTHING) is in much better condition overall since doing that ... and I'm in my early 60s. My rosacea was definitely aggravated by putting any makeup on it, even the so-called hypoallergenic brands.

For face-washing I use Crabtree & Evelyn aloe vera glycerin soap. This soap was discontinued several years ago but I was lucky enough to be able to get all of their remaining stock at a closeout (trust me that is a LOT of soap!). I have no idea what I will use when the last bar is gone but I won't need to worry about that for another 5 or 6 years at least.

Moisturizer is Neutrogena Oil-Free for Sensitive Skin; the plain one, not the one with the SP15 added.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:33 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,956,487 times
I have Rosacea and to cleanse I use Cetaphil soap bar to cleanse as it is very gentle and to moisturize i use Jojoba oil in the daytime. At night I do the same routine but combine the jojoba oil with Extend-life moisturizer. I have noticed a big difference and my skin doesn't flare up as much and the general pinkish tone has diminished. There is something in the Extend-life fluid that help to inhibit inflammation.

The key is to find a gentle skin care routine that won't cause you to flare up. Experiment but if you find something that works stick with it. Eating well I think is big too. Generally, stick to the good nutritious whole foods and limit eating processed garbage. Its not only good for reducing flare ups, but also for health in general. Oh yeah, eat probiotic foods, they can help creat good bacterial intestinal balance which means a less toxic body.

LIMIT sun exposure!

When it comes to rosacea, one thing won't work. It has to be the whole body - mind body approach.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:03 PM

985 posts, read 2,600,893 times
Hopes- My mother has Rosacea and she uses Clinique Dramatically Different Mosturizing Lotion. She also uses Clinique's 3 step skin care line and their makeup. Are you on any kind of medication for it? My mom uses something called Metrogel (it's a prescription med), and she says it helps a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness