U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2010, 03:42 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,662,535 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I have a 78 year old friend and he needs some more bed comfort but doesn't want to spend a lot of money on a memory foam mattress so i suggested that he spend around $100 - $150 (which is acceptable to him) for a memory foam topper and put it on top of his mattress which is a fairly good one.
The Tempurpedic toppers are too expensive.
I had one a few years ago that i liked very much but the store that i bought it at is no longer in business and i don't remember the brand.
Anyway, i see on Amazon that they have a 3 inch topper by Visco (maybe Visco isn't the brand 'cause on Amazon there's a SleepBetter and a SleepStudio both saying "visco" ) for $129.00.
Does anyone know if this is a good topper and/or does anyone have recommendations for a memory foam topper that is not more than $150?
Thank you.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 01-31-2010 at 04:56 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 04:33 PM

I've been researching on the web and came across this one.
Memory Foam Mattress Topper Pads
So if anyone knows about this one, let me know.
It's a bit more expensive but it has a 365 day money back guarantee and shipping is free.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:22 PM

15,406 posts, read 20,600,034 times
I did a lot of research on memory foam toppers three years ago. Please try to get a 3" or 4" thick topper, if possible. Anything less than that may feel ok at first but probably wont hold up. Too, many inexpensive toppers can get mold on the underside after a year or so. I bought nice, but very inexpensive, foam toppers for myself and family members and had that happen.

Afterward, I bought the topper in the below link. It's heavenly. Now I have a memory foam bed and still use this topper too. My last thought at night (before falling asleep), my first thought (when waking up) and my thoughts any time I wake up in the middle of the night are how awesome the bed and topper feel.

Bragada.com - Luxury Memory Foam Topper by Bragada¬ģ

Old 01-31-2010, 05:33 PM

2,190 posts, read 7,062,783 times
I know of two people who have budget foam for over a year; one has a topper the other a reg. mattress. They both said it was good for a few months but have gone flat on them...I found this on an ebay description, I don't own one myself but perhaps this will shed some light on it.

READ MY TRICK LIST ~half way down this ad~IF YOU DON'T BUY HERE
This ad is like memory foam 101 - There are probably many things that you do not know.....that you do not know. How could you??? It took me 6 years to know all this. Please read my trick list and then you can buy anywhere -- with confidence.

I have so many people say that they can buy memory foam cheaper somewhere else--I can do that too! I could sell you very cheap memory foam. I can sell 5lb memory foam to you for a very cheap price. Now I did not say 5lb density. I just said I can sell a 5lb topper. A seller must say 5lb DENSITY!!! Cheap memory foam does not feel like the memory foam I sell - nor will it last as long. Nor would you want it to. Why? Because cheap memory foam has a lot of regular foam in it. Cheap memory foam feels like cheap memory foam-- it does not feel like quality memory foam because it --isn't quality memory foam --IT IS CHEAP MEMORY FOAM. So it feels like regular cheap memory foam!!

Trust me on this one--you do not want cheap memory foam. There is a huge difference between cheap memory foam and quality memory foam --- or I would sell the cheap memory foam too. This is the most important thing I can tell you.

A FEW EXAMPLES of TRICKS :

SERTA does have positive feedback ~ HOWEVER ~ The toppers are SHORT ~ check the PAD SIZE TO SEE IF IT IS SHORT! They are and they say so!!!! Almost every time a customer sends me a link and wants to know if I can match his price--I go to the ad and read it and it says very clearly that the topper is short. Know your bed side.

Double Check to see what the density is.

A 10lb topper would be hard as a rock.

The imporrts Many are adding clay to their product to make it heavy. This has turned toxic but they sell it anyway. Why ??? Because it is so cheap unsuspecting customers buy them. Imported products have no laws to follow and they do not care about your health. You only have to watch the news for this info.

Sellers can leave their own feedback--so it just looks like they have good feedback.

Cheap toppers are usually all about this next trick I am going to tell you about----An ad that reads 5.5 memory foam topper pad is a trick ad!!! An ad must inform you of the density number ( of the topper pad) It should read (5.3lb density ~~ not 5.3lb memory foam topper ) If an ad reads: This is a 5.5 topper ....that means you will most probably get half the density number amount listed ~ See - the trick is ~ that they did not say 5.3lb density ~ they said 5.3 topper) These are word games- make you believe one thing but they will send you another !!! That is why the price is cheap~ the density is probably about 2lb density.

They use a bogus way to measure memory foam - like 2 cubic feet. We can really only measure memory foam by 1 cubic foot. 1 cubic foot is the industry standard -when determining the density of foam. However ,some memory foam sellers use a different method then the standard 1 cubic foot. That is how they can not get prosecuted for out and out fraud .Read the tricks that I have listed - near the end of this ad. Call or email sellers - and ask the right questions! Ask the density. Then ask if they measure by 1 cubic foot. Listen carefully to your answers.

Some sellers just lie. They tell you they are selling you a 5lb density king topper and it is really only 3lb density. If you get a 4" 5lb density in a king size topper - it should weigh around 72lbs-not 52lbs.

Read the trick list and then you can buy anywhere with confidence!!!

Long Story - Short

* This is a 100% Visco elastic memory foam pad. It is a 4" Queen 5.3lb density topper 60 x80
* It is measured by 1 cubic foot -the only scientific way to measure memory foam.
* Very luxurious!!! Temperature sensitive -with a gel like feel-to it. Comfort like no other bed!!
* Memory foam softens and conforms to the body. It will adjust to your shape & distribute weight evenly .
* Bliss- it reduces pressure points that cause pain & loss of sleep (tossing and turning )
* It is non-allergenic, anti-bacterial-naturally resistant to dust mites- so you do not need covers.
* Memory foam was originally designed for NASA . Never used. Then it hit the bedding market. WOW!
* Mine is made in the USA. New - direct from the factory -not a high mark up - affordable!!!
* Will last 10- 20 years. Depending on variables Same as other pads you see -sold for $2.000.00 & up.
* Keep your bed! Buy a topper & you have a memory foam bed!!! And you saved lots of $$$ !!!
* Last but not least--I am honest! You can trust me
* Also, All Sizes and Thicknesses ranging from 2" Twin to 4" Cal King Available in our eBay store which can be reached

Old 01-31-2010, 06:12 PM

502 posts, read 1,134,353 times
Make sure to recommend to your friend to air out the topper for a bit. We've purchased various brands of memory foam pillows and they all smell something wicked!

Old 01-31-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCInMyMind View Post
Make sure to recommend to your friend to air out the topper for a bit. We've purchased various brands of memory foam pillows and they all smell something wicked!
I know.
That's what i'm concerned about.
The one that i was considering on Amazon has many good reviews but a huge number of them have that as a serious complaint.
It's treated to prevent bacterial growth, mold, mildew, etc. and this makes me very nervous.
The material of the foam is, i imagine, already toxic to some degree (although it's claimed that those made in the u.s. are not ) but the added treatment is troublesome.
The off-gassing of something like a memory foam mattress is not cool with me but eventually abates ... the one i had stopped smelling soon after i bought it.
But a anti-bacterial / anti fungal treatment is a different story.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:47 PM

Thank you JagMan .... good tips although as i said in the post above, i'm very concerned about the treatment of the brand recommended in your post.
And thank you as well texasfirewheel.
Those products look excellent however they are way too pricey.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:19 PM

8,955 posts, read 18,207,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Those products look excellent however they are way too pricey.
The hard truth here is unless he spends some bucks and get real latex foam toppers (NOT the man made stuff) this old friend will be wasting his money.

latex foam support in a different manner than any man made foam. It will not full compress flat (Close but not full flat) so there is always some spring back to cradle the body.

Both my wife and I have issues with our joints due to severe arthritis and the only way we can sleep is by adding a 2 inch latex foam topper to our mattress. It that or one of those mega expensive 100% foam beds!

I'd be willing to bet that if your friend added a latex foam topper his body would thank him for the rest of his life cost be damned! (they really aren't that much more expensive than the man made stuff that won't hold up)

The size of the bed will determine price so shop carefully.......
(tip: the heavier the pad in weight the denser the foam the more comfort)
Example quality topper pad....... Amazon.com: Natural Latex Foam Mattress Pad Topper - 2-inch Medium-Firm 5.3 lbs. latex foam, Queen: Home & Garden

Old 01-31-2010, 08:07 PM

2,190 posts, read 7,062,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Thank you JagMan .... good tips although as i said in the post above, i'm very concerned about the treatment of the brand recommended in your post.
Welcome. I'm not endorsing anything, nor am I selling anything; let along foam mattresses (lol). What I posted made logical sense that you get what you pay for...With that being said, I'm sure some people would rather buy a new topper for $100 year after year than spend $700 now for an item that would last 10 years

Old 01-31-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
The hard truth here is unless he spends some bucks and get real latex foam toppers (NOT the man made stuff) this old friend will be wasting his money.

latex foam support in a different manner than any man made foam. It will not full compress flat (Close but not full flat) so there is always some spring back to cradle the body.

Both my wife and I have issues with our joints due to severe arthritis and the only way we can sleep is by adding a 2 inch latex foam topper to our mattress. It that or one of those mega expensive 100% foam beds!

I'd be willing to bet that if your friend added a latex foam topper his body would thank him for the rest of his life cost be damned! (they really aren't that much more expensive than the man made stuff that won't hold up)

The size of the bed will determine price so shop carefully.......
(tip: the heavier the pad in weight the denser the foam the more comfort)
Example quality topper pad....... Amazon.com: Natural Latex Foam Mattress Pad Topper - 2-inch Medium-Firm 5.3 lbs. latex foam, Queen: Home & Garden
Hmmmmm, i hear you.
Thank you.
I was thinking about this product which is a memory foam and if he got the queen without the cover it would cost $185.
I was going to call them tomorrow to make sure it wasn't treated like the other one i was considering.
They guarantee it for a year (satisfaction guaranteed) and then also there's a manufacturers guarantee that is, i think, for 10 years.
Memory Foam Mattress Topper Pads
If i'm understanding you the memory foam provides more support because it doesn't compress fully?
In other words, are you saying that the memory foam compresses all the way down to the surface it's on while the latex does not?
Do you know what i'm saying and is that what you're saying?
And is the one you recommend (that you provided the link to) the same as the one that you have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness