U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2010, 03:50 AM

171 posts, read 782,814 times

Advertisements

I have a problem with dry mouth. I have changed my meds but to no avail. Most of the time it comes at night but can also come in the day especially if I work around the house. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas. I have used the store products but they do not work. Ay ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 03:57 AM

14,076 posts, read 18,178,869 times
When I have dry mouth at night, I just get up and drink a lot of water, even though I'm not thirsty.

End of problem.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:01 PM

8,955 posts, read 18,225,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos View Post
I have a problem with dry mouth. I have changed my meds but to no avail. Most of the time it comes at night but can also come in the day especially if I work around the house. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas. I have used the store products but they do not work. Ay ideas?
You may be breathing trough your mouth and not even be aware of it.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:40 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,670,915 times
Yes, it's always better to breath through your nose (for a variety of reasons and it definitely keeps the mouth more moist) so if you have any sinus issues that are preventing you from doing so, you may want to address that.
I get a few products from my dentist that help keep the mouth moist ... help with saliva flow.
I like the spray the best (i actually love the spray) but it runs out faster than i'd like.
The gum is good as well.
The most economical choice is the mints ... a very large bottle (520 pieces) and they're strong and i usually only use 1 ... sometimes 2.
I always have the mints by my bedside and i'll pop one in my mouth as needed.
Also, i know some meds cause dry mouth and it may seem like no matter how much water you drink, it hardly matters.
But drinking enough water throughout the day is important and you'll probably notice some difference.
Also, it helps flush your system and since you're on medication, that's a good thing.

TheraMintsâ„¢ 100% Xylitol Sweetened Mints from 3M ESPE US

TheraSprayâ„¢ Mouth Moistening Breath Spray from 3M ESPE US (http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3M-ESPE/dental-professionals/products/category/preventive/theraspray/ - broken link)

TheraGumâ„¢ 100% Xylitol Sweetened Gum from 3M ESPE US

Old 02-02-2010, 08:26 PM

3,822 posts, read 3,574,785 times
It could be from...
-a side effect of your meds
-the combination of meds
-not enough humidity in your home
-general dehydration
-breathing through your mouth during sleep
-diabetes
-excessive smoking
You have to pinpoint the cause before you can work on a solution.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:36 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,670,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
It could be from...
-a side effect of your meds
-the combination of meds
-not enough humidity in your home
-general dehydration
-breathing through your mouth during sleep
-diabetes
-excessive smoking
You have to pinpoint the cause before you can work on a solution.
He stated that it is due to his meds.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:29 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,204,372 times
Try some hard candy or cough drops
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness