Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 02:28 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,644,793 times

Advertisements

Okay, this may a strange thread, but I have had this strange feeling of pain in my throat and neck for over a week now- this is the second time I ever have had it- and it seems to get worse by the day. I can almost not swallow, and at this moment I have very little hearing on my left ear.
Does anyone know or have a hum of what it might be?
All answers are welcomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 06:55 PM

23,010 posts, read 34,370,036 times
You need to go to the doctor. Do you have tonsils? Could be sinus infection, but go to the doctor, he can give something for it.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:12 PM
MsV

2,604 posts, read 1,079,419 times
I agree, Sweden, it sounds like an infection and you'd need an antibiotic to get rid of it. Gargle with half-warm water and half-peroxide - it will burn, but will kill any topical bacteria if it's just a 'sore throat'. I agree with ILNC, see your doctor, could even be mumps - check it out - you are not dying.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:55 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,130 times
Tonsilitis is horrible!!! I was getting that about every six months when I lived in England. Every single time I had to go to the doctor and every time they tried to get me to take straight penicillin. Not so good for women you know.

I had fever, shakes, dizziness, couldn't eat and could barely stand sometimes.
Since moving back to US, haven't had it once.

Definitely go to the doctor.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:32 AM

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the responses!
I've been to the school nurse, and she says if it doesn't get better in a few days I should go to the doctor. But I really don't want to, so I am hoping for it to be better on its own... An aspirin/ day does wonders!

And thanks, it feels good to know I'm not dying...

Old 05-30-2007, 01:07 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
It sounds like the cold I just got over. It started out with a swelling in my throat, then sore throat, sneezing, runny nose, hard to breathe, etc. It's 3 weeks now since it started and I'm almost over it. The coughing lasted the last 2 weeks.
Get some of the Cold-Eze tablets that have zinc in them. Also anything to stop coughing. Once that settles in, you cough all night long! And it's a pain.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:47 PM

409 posts, read 2,782,588 times
go to a doctor. i let a sore throat go and it didnt get better. when i went she said it was a very bad nasal drip and i needed antibiotics to get rid of the infection. lately there's alot of crazy stuff going around. i have allergies for the first time and the sore throat wa something new too. be careful and please see a doctor.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:40 PM

255 posts, read 821,362 times
Default Hope you've seen the doctor by now

I had a case of chronic tonsillitis for a period of about 3 years, was taking antibiotics off and on, and that only kept the worst soreness at bay. After seeing several different MDs, I finally found one who would recommend a tonsillectomy based on the frequency of the flare-ups (which it seems that providers are reluctant to do with adults), had it done, and haven't had anything worse than a very minor sore throat, very infrequently, since then. I'm not suggesting you have anything on that order, but I'm putting this in the thread in case someone with a situation similar to mine finds it useful. And just in case anyone is wondering if I'm surgery-happy, I'm not...recovery from the tonsillectomy was excruciating, but was it worth it!

Old 06-06-2007, 05:58 AM

250 posts, read 932,791 times
You might have in infection; this could cause your lymphnodes to swell up, which is causing the pain. Try drinking something warm; then immediately try to blow you nose. Does the mucus come up a certain color? Sorry to be graphic, but if it's greenish-yellow or greenish-red, it is most likely a sinus infection. If you can, see a doctor. If not, rest up! Take an OTC expectorant or some Benadryl! Good Luck!

Old 06-06-2007, 10:15 AM

Default Thanks!

Thank you all for the responses! I never thought I'd get this many!
As you know, I have seen the school nurse, who told me to see a doctor if it didn't get better. Thankfully (I'm going to jinx it with this I'm afraid!) the pain is somewhat fading (I'm down to one painkiller a day), and hopefully it will continue doing so. Otherwise, I promise to go to the doctor...

Thank you all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness