U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 10:08 AM

19 posts, read 49,015 times

Advertisements

I found "Stinging Nettle" (aka Nettle extract) a few years ago (we have stinging nettle (urtica dioica) in Florida wild, you will know why it is called stinging nettle if you ever put your hand or other extremity in a patch of it..LOL..a bit like fire coral...yow! For those thinking of making their own you have to know how to handle it properly it's not just a dry it and use it thing...you have to get rid of the irritant first!).

In Europe they swear by it for anything respiratory but as usual greedy American doctors and drug companies would rather give you an antibiotic than anything natural. I used to get sinus infections four or five times a year (every time the weather changes drastically). I used it religiously twice a day for over a year and I can tell you that I have not had anything but a very weak one since I started the nettle (I don't use it daily anymore just for the occasional sudden problem). I prefer the extract to the pills, I think it works better and faster. I also use it if I get congested and suddenly start have a gagging fit (you know you get so congested and you start getting dry heaves with it too (or you throw up if you've got anything in the tummy); the liquid extract stops it within minutes. It tastes a bit nasty but you can put it in your coffee, coke or your gatorade and it works just as well and the nasty taste doesn't linger it's gone in a second.

I'm also a big fan of echinacea, it may not work on everyone but it works on me. The moment I feel a sinus infection coming on I start megadosing the echinacea, within 2 days it's gone. The guy with the swollen face sort of sounds like he's got a blocked eustacian tube...that one might need some professional attention. I also found that my ears are mega wax producers and might also be contributing to my sinus problems. I started using peroxide in my ears a few times a month and it disolves the wax and seems to have lessened the infections and congestion at the same time.

I think it's a bit amusing that a weed is a natural antihistamine, it's also got the advantage of not raising your heart rate and there is no kickback when you stop taking it. The nettle extract used to be very available and cheap but apparently someone figured out that it's also good for urinary tract issues so that bottle that was 2.99 is now 15.99 for the same amount. Cheapest place I've found nettle extract anymore is on ebay. I'm very much against poluting your body with drugs you don't need, if there's a natural cure I'll try that first before creating antiobiotic resistant bugs in my body; when I really need that antiobitic I want it to work!

Last edited by suemccartin; 02-11-2010 at 10:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 10:24 AM

Default heat on the sinuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
I've had them off an on for years and yes they suck. I had recently found that a hot water bottle on the face does wonders for the pain relief. I wish I had discovered this years ago! Hope you feel better.
Sunbeam (I'm pretty sure it was sunbeam anyway) actually made a heating pad in the shape of a mask with a cloth cover and velcro straps to hold it in place. I found em at big lots and bought one, it's great (has a control on it just like a regular heating pad. low, medium, high). I haven't seen these anyplace since I got mine but that could just be because I'm not looking. When I don't use it on my face I use it on the leg or arm because I can tie it down with the velcro unlike the big pad.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
thanks Im glad or Im sorry to hear im not alone. I got my own decongestant, I also went out and bought a humidifer for the dryness in the house (its cold and winter here, and dry as heck) I put hydrogen peroxide swab up my nose the side it hurts. This is the worst. The headaches and upper teeth are just painful all day ,all night. Thanks for the ideas.
If your sinuses are over dry you can also have issues, saline solution every day may help it's cheap at drug stores. You might also try a kid's vaporizer in a closed room, either vicks or just plain old eucalyptus oil in the vaporizer will really clean out your head. My mother's doctor told her to put hot saltwater in a bowl, a towel over her head and breathe the vapors every day.

Last edited by suemccartin; 02-11-2010 at 10:44 AM..

Old 02-11-2010, 10:32 AM

If you like garlic and/or onions these two plants are supposed to be very helpful in sinus infections; eat the heck out of them. In the civil war when they ran out of stuff to clean wounds they rubbed raw garlic in the wounds to prevent infection...supposedly works very well. Other things that kill germs are peppermint (or other plants in the mint family as well supposedly) so I've also seen recommendations to suck on peppermint candy for relief. I saw a recipe for ear infections that involved garlic oil and olive oil...not sure I'd put that in my ears but heck when you hurt anything sounds good!

Old 02-11-2010, 02:00 PM

5,617 posts, read 14,030,194 times
well everyone, I am finally feeling better. No headaches, or teeth/gum radiating pain ! Thanks the lord. The ideas here are pretty interesting. I thank everyone who commented. I now understand how miserable these are so thank everyone. I hope this now is not a recurring thing in my life.

Well until the next sickness or death..... thanks all!!!!!

Old 02-11-2010, 02:02 PM

5,617 posts, read 14,030,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suemccartin View Post
I found "Stinging Nettle" (aka Nettle extract) a few years ago (we have stinging nettle (urtica dioica) in Florida wild, you will know why it is called stinging nettle if you ever put your hand or other extremity in a patch of it..LOL..a bit like fire coral...yow! For those thinking of making their own you have to know how to handle it properly it's not just a dry it and use it thing...you have to get rid of the irritant first!).

In Europe they swear by it for anything respiratory but as usual greedy American doctors and drug companies would rather give you an antibiotic than anything natural. I used to get sinus infections four or five times a year (every time the weather changes drastically). I used it religiously twice a day for over a year and I can tell you that I have not had anything but a very weak one since I started the nettle (I don't use it daily anymore just for the occasional sudden problem). I prefer the extract to the pills, I think it works better and faster. I also use it if I get congested and suddenly start have a gagging fit (you know you get so congested and you start getting dry heaves with it too (or you throw up if you've got anything in the tummy); the liquid extract stops it within minutes. It tastes a bit nasty but you can put it in your coffee, coke or your gatorade and it works just as well and the nasty taste doesn't linger it's gone in a second.

I'm also a big fan of echinacea, it may not work on everyone but it works on me. The moment I feel a sinus infection coming on I start megadosing the echinacea, within 2 days it's gone. The guy with the swollen face sort of sounds like he's got a blocked eustacian tube...that one might need some professional attention. I also found that my ears are mega wax producers and might also be contributing to my sinus problems. I started using peroxide in my ears a few times a month and it disolves the wax and seems to have lessened the infections and congestion at the same time.

I think it's a bit amusing that a weed is a natural antihistamine, it's also got the advantage of not raising your heart rate and there is no kickback when you stop taking it. The nettle extract used to be very available and cheap but apparently someone figured out that it's also good for urinary tract issues so that bottle that was 2.99 is now 15.99 for the same amount. Cheapest place I've found nettle extract anymore is on ebay. I'm very much against poluting your body with drugs you don't need, if there's a natural cure I'll try that first before creating antiobiotic resistant bugs in my body; when I really need that antiobitic I want it to work!
this is a very interesting post. I am going to do some googling on your nettle weed. thanks!!

Old 01-12-2011, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 13,469 times
I think this blog may help you AND a lot of people: jworld123.blogspot.com. The writer posted 7 different natural methods you can choose from to cure the sinus infection. I tried method 2 (apple cider vinegar) and method 4 (grapefruit seed extract with a sinus rinse) together. These 2 are some real potent natural methods! I still can't believe I didn't need to see a doctor this time...

I liked how the writer tells me the dosage to take, and where these products can be purchased locally.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:52 AM

3,627 posts, read 13,138,685 times
I have had quite a few and I love the sinus rinse kits (like Neil Med) for offering some relief. Obviously still use the medicines if mucous is colored...I know if I have a cold for more than 7 days it is probably going to stay on as a sinus infection. ....

Old 01-12-2011, 02:04 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,601,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
the headaches are non stop. My whole left side of my face by cheek hurts, my ear is funny, my upper teeth hurt a bit and my left nostil is burning. I feel terrible. How long does this last? I went to Dr. got the usual antibiotic but how LONG IS THIS LAST!! I cant take the constant headache! This is the first time ever at age 43 I had a sinus infection and it really blows!!
Pffft! I've been getting sinus infections since I was 4! I'll assume that you do not live in Oklahoma.

First of all, Mucinex is your friend. Take it. It will thin the mucus in your sinus cavities so it can drain better.

You can also use Saline nose spray- NOT Afrin. Plain old Saline to help break up the mucus.

Warm compresses to your forehead may be beneficial as well.

Take your antibiotic as prescribed. Let me guess- You're either on a Z-pack or Augmentin?

The symptoms should start to get better after the second day on the antibiotic. If you continue to have severe headaches after the third day, I would call your dr back and ask for a Medrol pack. It's a steroid and can help decrease the inflammation in your sinuses.

Do you know what caused the sinusitis to begin with? You may need to take a prescription allergy medication. I take Singulair in the winter to help with my seasonal allergies. The only drawback is that it's expensive and insurance companies (well mine at least) don't like to pay for it. I also take Flonase year-round to help avoid allergy related sinusitis and bronchitis.

Good luck! I hope you feel better soon!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness