U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2010, 09:20 PM

380 posts, read 1,109,930 times

Advertisements

I always have had rosacea. it seems to be worse in the winter. no matter how many mask or healthy diets I eat. it always seems to always be red no matter what. my nose looks like rudolph the red nose reindeer. it's red and you can see the pores on my nose.

I dont know how to help this situation. I always have to hide my face because of it. it makes my confidence feel low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 10:27 AM

810 posts, read 1,209,966 times
I am in the same boat as you are. I have a Rudolph nose from rosacea, too, and I am very self-conscious of it. I am fortunate that it covers well with green concealer and foundation. But I won't go swimming during the summer or go walking in the rain, because I'm afraid the makeup will get splashed off my nose. And it's dreadful when I get a cold and need to wipe my nose! I have tried all kinds of treatments and remedies. What I've found to work the best is a plain glycerin soap and inexpensive Jergen's face cream (in a big jar for only a few bucks). My dermatologist prescribed Metrogel. While it doesn't make the redness go away much, it has really helped prevent the painful pimples from occurring. It's not an easy condition to deal with emotionally, especially knowing we have it for life.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:42 AM

2,903 posts, read 11,669,483 times
This is a post by Hope's from a month or so ago.
I don't know if the coconut oil continued to benefit her rosacea.
Maybe she'll come along and let you know.

"Glad to see this thread resurface. I just want to update.

The pure natural coconut oil is magica!

It completely cured my rosacea and eczema! I had rosacea outbreaks that wouldn't heal for months. They went away in mere days using Coconut Oil.

My skin is super clear. I look a decade younger too. The fine lines disappeared also.

All that's left is the little broken capilaries but laser surgery will be the only way to remove those.

Coconut Oil is FANTASTIC stuff!

I've been using it on my face and body! You'd never guess it was winter by looking at my skin. It's like I have new skin!"

//www.city-data.com/forum/healt...-dry-skin.html

Old 02-08-2010, 12:23 PM

810 posts, read 1,209,966 times
I've tried that as well as much-hyped emu oil....neither helped me.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:51 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,268,244 times
A friend of mine takes Tetracycline for hers when it flares up. In fact, I never knew she had the problem at all.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:26 PM

694 posts, read 1,119,136 times
I've read on the web that avoiding hot bath, spicy foods, warm temperatures, alcohol, tabacco helps.
Also, moisturizing the affected area.
Is it true?

Old 02-10-2010, 06:26 AM

2,637 posts, read 11,286,872 times
If you are triggered by warm temperatures, avoiding them helps. If you are triggered by alcohol, avoiding it helps. If you are triggered by spicy foods, avoiding it helps. But who wants to live like that? My dermatologist gave me this big long list of things to avoid including exertion and heat/humidity. Yes, like it's really possible to avoid heat and humidity in Tampa. Avoid exertion? She thought it was reasonable to tell me to not get any exercise just to avoid flushes? Ridiculous. Even if it was possible to fully avoid all triggers, it only reduces future damage and does nothing for what's already occurred. The meds my derm gave me did not help, actually they increased my irritation and made it worse. I found later that there were no meds that reduce the redness, they only work on the type of rosacea with pimples/papules which I don't have.

So I tried a couple drug store products supposedly for rosacea by Aveeno and then later, Eucerin. Neither of those did anything for me and the green pigment in the Eucerin products is low quality or something, it doesn't blend in to my skin tone at all. I also tried the Aveeno line that was supposed to even skin tone but apparently it only works on pigmented marks, not redness. I wound up throwing these products away.

I use Clinique's Redness Solutions cleanser and daily relief cream and it has definitely improved the visible appearance of my skin and reduced my reactivity. The products contain caffeine which constricts the blood vessels and helps to reduce flushing as well as persistent redness. I also use the Turnaround concentrate which is a gentle chemical exfoliant, and since I added that to my routine I have noticed the damaged areas where the rosacea is worse have smoothed out and the redness is now interrupted by patches of normal skin tone which I find pretty exciting since my cheeks and nose have been red for quite some time now. Wearing sunscreen is important to prevent further damage.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:28 AM

380 posts, read 1,109,930 times
To me the cold weather is what makes mine worse. and on top of that it makes me want to itch my nose. I dont think spicy foods afects me. it's mainley the cold weather. it only affects my nose and some under my eyes.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:14 AM

4,267 posts, read 5,456,070 times
You know when you see little kids with bright red cheeks, that's often a sign that they have some kind of food allergy/intolerance. I used to get bright red cheeks until I figured out that I was intolerant to dairy and soy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness