U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 06:58 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,693,638 times

Advertisements

You already know you have a problem and have admitted it so you are half way there. I lost 50 pounds in the last few years myself and I did it was just by making wiser choices on what I ate. In the beginning, I let myself have anything I wanted to eat as a reward for staying on track ONCE A MONTH, that was always fried chicken and french fries... but I didn't pig out on it, I ate it in moderate amounts.. Moderation is the key!

To weigh as much as you do, you know you are eating an enormous amount of food. It takes a LOT of groceries to maintain that much weight. I know that because it is common sense and basic math. My bet is you could loose weight just by cutting the amount you eat down to half..

I lost that weight just by changing what I was eating and I ate all day long, just made healthier choices. I could have A or B but NOT both. I cooked everything I ate at home so I could control what was in what I ate. The ground beef in my pot of chile was replaced with ground turkey and the turkey was cooked first and drained of any grease. I could have NOTHING fried and I got use to that real quick and learned to make just as good baked chicken and fish. NO fast food either unless it was a salad and lesser fat things like Wendy's chile or KFC's grilled chicken. Subway makes lo fat subs and really nice salads so there are healtheir options out there for when you are on the go. (Secrete, it does no good to eat a salad if you load it with bacon bit, cheese and a half a bottle of salad dressing)

Maybe to help motivate you, my first husband died from obesity at the age of 32 and left our son without a father at a very young age... Obesity DOES kill! I had a friend that died at the age of 54 from obesity complications.. Sooner or later, the body DOES object to carrying around all that extra weight. They were not designed to carry around that kind of weight. Don't wait for a crisis to finally decide you need to get it off, usually once there is a crisis, the damage has been done.

Moderation!
Wiser choices!........ GOOD LUCK!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 08:43 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,151,721 times
Good luck! I gained a bit when I got married - maybe I got too "comfortable?" but not much at all. I think, just like others have said, that you need to eat healthy. No more of these fast food meals, no matter how much you work.

Fast food and pre-packaged food is not only high in calories but high in sodium too which is also bad. Look for low sodium foods as well as low calorie too. I eat a lot of soup, my favorites are low sodium chicken noodle and tomato.

Be sure not to eat much sugar, follow the food pyramid guide if you can. Use fats, oils, and sweets sparingly. Maybe treat yourself once a week for starters, instead of once or multiple times a day. Burn some more calories, take a walk at night when you get home, get a dvd of some at-home exercises you can do. I got a dvd on salsa dance, it's so fun and it gets me moving.

My problem is that I eat too many sweets. I love them. This past weekend I went food shopping and purposely only bought whole grains, fruits and vegetables, and other stuff but NO sweets. I've started using honey in my tea instead of my usual 5/6 teaspoons of sugar, and I've started using lemon instead of creamer.

Small changes can really help! My husband is also trying to lose weight.

Two weeks ago we joined a gym together and it's been going well so far! We took a few days off because I tore up a muscle in my leg but other than that I can't wait to go back.

Hope this helps, best of luck. You can do it

Old 02-09-2010, 10:02 PM

380 posts, read 1,110,402 times
Im so sorry to hear that your husband died so young... yes indeed I will make changes. eat more salads and quit drinking cokes and eating cookies. I want to be fit and healthy and live along time.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:45 AM

1,719 posts, read 3,803,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerschris View Post
Im so sorry to hear that your husband died so young... yes indeed I will make changes. eat more salads and quit drinking cokes and eating cookies. I want to be fit and healthy and live along time.
Good man. I haven't drank soda in twelve years. After the first year you don't even miss it and the stuff repulses me now. If you crave the fizziness then drink carbonated water.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:06 AM

1,495 posts, read 4,613,953 times
I think you two should look into getting the bodybugg, which is the same monitor they use on the biggest loser. I'ts helped me shed 30lbs so far because it helps you learn how many calories you need to burn and how many you can eat for your body. Check it out just type on google My APex bodybugg and you'll find the link.

Good luck!

Old 02-10-2010, 08:17 AM

4,271 posts, read 14,179,559 times
I'm 31, been overweight but it wasn't until my 20s that I gained the most. Let me tell you, health probs will catch up to you. Hubby has gained a lot of weight, too, and even though his health is fine, he's willing to make the lifestyle change we both need. For me, once I hit 30, everything started going to the crapper. I've been using a walker for over 3 weeks now because of my back problem. Though I was born with my back condition, my doctor said excess weight didn't help it. I urge you, if you are considering losing weight for those very reasons you mentioned, do it while you are healthy enough to because once problems start to occur, it only gets harder. It may not be when you turn 30, or even when you turn 40, but eventually, all those times you ate what you wanted will hit you.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:45 PM

11,456 posts, read 13,043,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerschris View Post
Thank you so much for your reply to my cry for help. your right i make excuses. I feel like a zombie to food. I hate it. I want to be fit again am going to do everything possible. no more junk food. I will eat more veggies and fruits. and yes salads. I can do it. it's Just hard at first.
It is hard at first, but you will be surprised at how your body feels after that initial week or so. You'll get a bounce back in your step and the last thing you will want to do is eat foods pumped full of sugar and fat.

Just do it one day at a time, the beginning is the hardest part. Tackle is now while you are younger. Don't wait until you are in your 30's-40's and being diagnosed with diabetes, high blood pressure etc.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:31 PM

3,627 posts, read 13,156,509 times
I am going to plug a book that is making a big difference for me ......... "Younger Next Year" it is really aimed more at middle aged folks but I wish I had read it when I was your age, thin, and fit.

YES you need to take control now; the older you get the harder it gets. One thing you will find if you really work on eating a healthy diet and excercise - just give it 6 months for now........is that the stuff you used to like is downright nasty and not nearly as enjoyable to eat as good food. How on earth did I enjoy french fries so much?

I was the kid who hated vegetables and loves them now. I hated fish but now eat, and enjoy it, every other day - baked, not fried. It would help the most if you both did it together. One thing is that it will be easier for you to loose weight, since you are a male so you need to really be supportive and encouraging if she wants to do it as well. It really helps to have a partner in this.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:06 PM

1,719 posts, read 3,803,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
is that the stuff you used to like is downright nasty and not nearly as enjoyable to eat as good food. How on earth did I enjoy french fries so much?
Yep. Once I got into the healthy lifestyle I looked at the stuff I used to eat and I am repulsed. If one were to stick McDonald's in front of me I would want to vomit.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:10 PM

380 posts, read 1,110,402 times
thanks for all the reply's guys... it is hard. Im still getting use to eating veggies. but I know in the long run it will benefit me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or