U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-08-2010, 12:00 AM
 
380 posts, read 1,110,135 times
Reputation: 205

Advertisements

I am recently married, I weighed at the time 290 Lbs and now 8 months later I am 308. my wife was 250 9 months ago and now she is 265. my question is we are both 23 and we dont have health problems Ive began to notice my knees hurt more. She has been big most of her life and I have not gained weight till I was 20.

We want to live really old. I dont want to miss out on what life and god has instored for me. I feel very confident when im fit. but motivation for me goes away really fast.

We work alot and et fast food. I dont want to die of a heart attack and dont want her to leave either. it's hard to eat foods like salad and baked chicken all the time. we like fried food but when we eat good the "bad" food is hard to resist. Is there anyone who has possibly Exprienced this? if there is please help us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-08-2010, 08:40 AM
 
1,719 posts, read 3,802,761 times
Reputation: 1274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerschris View Post
I am recently married, I weighed at the time 290 Lbs and now 8 months later I am 308. my wife was 250 9 months ago and now she is 265. my question is we are both 23 and we dont have health problems Ive began to notice my knees hurt more. She has been big most of her life and I have not gained weight till I was 20.

We want to live really old. I dont want to miss out on what life and god has instored for me. I feel very confident when im fit. but motivation for me goes away really fast.

We work alot and et fast food. I dont want to die of a heart attack and dont want her to leave either. it's hard to eat foods like salad and baked chicken all the time. we like fried food but when we eat good the "bad" food is hard to resist. Is there anyone who has possibly Exprienced this? if there is please help us.
It requires a complete lifestyle change. As you have acknowledged, if you continue upon this path your body will fall apart and you will die young. Do you want to spend your last years all messed up and immobile? I know I wouldn't.

You mention God. I assume you are religious. If you are, then you believe that God intentionally made us and everything on this Earth. This life is a gift. Your body is the vessel in which you exist. Thus, your body is a gift as well. How do you feel by filling the gift that God gave you with garbage? Would the Creator want that? You are destroying what God gave you.

1. Eat healthy food. - Fruits, veggies, nuts, grains, lean meat, and water... anything that nature made.
2. Don't eat crap. - Sugar, hydrogenated oils, etc.. anything that man made basically.
3. Move everyday. Use your muscles.

This stuff isn't rocket science. It is common sense, but it takes a lot of work and dedication. Get to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2010, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Northern NH
4,551 posts, read 10,480,909 times
Reputation: 3807
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
It requires a complete lifestyle change. As you have acknowledged, if you continue upon this path your body will fall apart and you will die young. Do you want to spend your last years all messed up and immobile? I know I wouldn't.

You mention God. I assume you are religious. If you are, then you believe that God intentionally made us and everything on this Earth. This life is a gift. Your body is the vessel in which you exist. Thus, your body is a gift as well. How do you feel by filling the gift that God gave you with garbage? Would the Creator want that? You are destroying what God gave you.

1. Eat healthy food. - Fruits, veggies, nuts, grains, lean meat, and water... anything that nature made.
2. Don't eat crap. - Sugar, hydrogenated oils, etc.. anything that man made basically.
3. Move everyday. Use your muscles.

This stuff isn't rocket science. It is common sense, but it takes a lot of work and dedication. Get to it.

Yes!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2010, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Imaginary Figment
11,456 posts, read 13,040,702 times
Reputation: 4772
Can't lives on won't street.

In front of you is the internet, full of healthy recipes that are also really tasty. Eating healthy, IMO, requires that you learn to cook more.

My recommendation is look up "Body for Life" online. It's an amazing program of diet/exercise and produces awesome results. Pick up a used copy of their books on Amazon and read em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2010, 09:07 PM
 
613 posts, read 1,028,738 times
Reputation: 1211
All the things you said, you have to want it bad enough. So now's the time to ask yourself-- do you,, really....??? Those big fast food corporations-- wow, they've really got you exactly where they want you. But you say eating salad and chicken all the time is hard?? Geez-- all the starving people of the world should have such a problem. And ask yourself this: Is it harder than becoming sick & disabled from eating junk and not taking care of yourself? Because you & your wife are will on your way.

I sure hope you don't consider chicken & salad the only alternative to junk/fast food?
Regarding salads.... do you make your own?? Because when you do, the possibilities are limitless.... you can make it as interesting and delicious as you want and you'll probably never make it the same way twice. I never, ever get tired of salad.. I could (and usually do) eat it every single day. But you've got to use good ingredients!! Not just iceberg, a pale tomato and ranch dressing. There's much better options. And if you put some protein (garbanzo beans, HB egg, feta cheese, tuna, etc..) in there, make a big one and you easily have a complete meal-- that's your whole dinner or lunch.. and believe me, you will be full. It's the easiest thing in the world to make and actually much cheaper that fast food-- especially considering the staggering costs of the doctor's bills from all the health issues you will be dealing with before too long. And I believe faster too-- by the time someone drives to the drive thru, orders, waits in line and drives home, you can have a salad made and be eating it already.

It astounds me when people think 'healthy food is boring'.... when the diversity of it is truly mind-boggling. If anything is boring, it's fast food. Sure once in a while it's a guilty pleasure or an indulgence. But every day? I could not imagine...
And it's disturbing also the way people claim they are 'too busy' to eat anything but fast food, and they are so dependent on it. People survived thousands of years without it and they made it through all kinds of social conditions, migrations, wars, cultural revolutions, etc.. without it and were usually fine if not better off. (I'm sure it would have helped in a famine though!)
So you work a lot, and you don't have time? Well,, I work a lot too- and I make time to eat healthy. As do countless other people--- so that's NO excuse. Let me ask you this- how much time do you spend watching TV per day? on the net? playing video games? and so on? hhmmm... just askin'. Being able to make your own (healthy) meals is the best thing you can do for yourself and it will absolutely pay off in the long run. If you continue to depend on fast & fried food, believe me you will age much more quickly as your body has to work so much harder to survive with all that extra weight and strain on your metabolism.

So do yourself a favor-- get some good cookbooks, go to some health food stores, check out your local farmer's markets... take a cooking class, watch some cooking shows and vow to learn to make some of your favorite things (the easy & healthy versions). Don't fall for that low-fat diet thing-- of course that's unappetizing. Healthy fats are necessary in moderation and make you feel full. Just eat sensibly. Remember the bad food is hard to resist because the big evil food corporations spend billions of dollars marketing to folks exactly like you, and they study all kinds of ways to make it addictive. Kind of like crack.
But when you start eating healthier you will hopefully develop a taste for healthier foods & a greater diversity of them, and the addictive power of the junk food will lose its hold. Basically at this point it's poisoning you. If you really explore what else is out there (not just what's put right in front of your face)-- a whole new world will open to you, and you will be amazed.. it's all endlessly interesting and you will never be bored. You will start to have cravings for healthy things.... instead of the Evil 3- salt/sugar/bad fats.
Do yourself another favor and watch some films about the food industry, such as 'Food Inc.'

But the fact that you see you are in a bad situation that is only getting worse, and you are asking for help, is the first step. The next step is commitment to change! So get together with your wife and make a decision that you really want to change your lives together-- before your health issues get any worse.... it will be so much easier to do it now, than to wait for the inevitable consequences of doing nothing.....!!
The next best thing you can do is the simplest thing ever: START WALKING. Find a city park, greenbelt, or just walk around the neighborhood. If you live in the snow and it's too cold to walk, then get a treadmill, join a gym or swim club, etc. But make it easy and enjoyable, so you'll want to keep going. And yes you have to make the time for it-- even if you have to take one hour off work per week. You CAN do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2010, 09:47 PM
 
Location: Northern NH
4,551 posts, read 10,480,909 times
Reputation: 3807
I think healthy foods are amazing! I love them so much better than crap crap that fast foods serve. Order Sushi and love love life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2010, 10:45 PM
 
380 posts, read 1,110,135 times
Reputation: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by opalminor View Post
All the things you said, you have to want it bad enough. So now's the time to ask yourself-- do you,, really....??? Those big fast food corporations-- wow, they've really got you exactly where they want you. But you say eating salad and chicken all the time is hard?? Geez-- all the starving people of the world should have such a problem. And ask yourself this: Is it harder than becoming sick & disabled from eating junk and not taking care of yourself? Because you & your wife are will on your way.

I sure hope you don't consider chicken & salad the only alternative to junk/fast food?
Regarding salads.... do you make your own?? Because when you do, the possibilities are limitless.... you can make it as interesting and delicious as you want and you'll probably never make it the same way twice. I never, ever get tired of salad.. I could (and usually do) eat it every single day. But you've got to use good ingredients!! Not just iceberg, a pale tomato and ranch dressing. There's much better options. And if you put some protein (garbanzo beans, HB egg, feta cheese, tuna, etc..) in there, make a big one and you easily have a complete meal-- that's your whole dinner or lunch.. and believe me, you will be full. It's the easiest thing in the world to make and actually much cheaper that fast food-- especially considering the staggering costs of the doctor's bills from all the health issues you will be dealing with before too long. And I believe faster too-- by the time someone drives to the drive thru, orders, waits in line and drives home, you can have a salad made and be eating it already.

It astounds me when people think 'healthy food is boring'.... when the diversity of it is truly mind-boggling. If anything is boring, it's fast food. Sure once in a while it's a guilty pleasure or an indulgence. But every day? I could not imagine...
And it's disturbing also the way people claim they are 'too busy' to eat anything but fast food, and they are so dependent on it. People survived thousands of years without it and they made it through all kinds of social conditions, migrations, wars, cultural revolutions, etc.. without it and were usually fine if not better off. (I'm sure it would have helped in a famine though!)
So you work a lot, and you don't have time? Well,, I work a lot too- and I make time to eat healthy. As do countless other people--- so that's NO excuse. Let me ask you this- how much time do you spend watching TV per day? on the net? playing video games? and so on? hhmmm... just askin'. Being able to make your own (healthy) meals is the best thing you can do for yourself and it will absolutely pay off in the long run. If you continue to depend on fast & fried food, believe me you will age much more quickly as your body has to work so much harder to survive with all that extra weight and strain on your metabolism.

So do yourself a favor-- get some good cookbooks, go to some health food stores, check out your local farmer's markets... take a cooking class, watch some cooking shows and vow to learn to make some of your favorite things (the easy & healthy versions). Don't fall for that low-fat diet thing-- of course that's unappetizing. Healthy fats are necessary in moderation and make you feel full. Just eat sensibly. Remember the bad food is hard to resist because the big evil food corporations spend billions of dollars marketing to folks exactly like you, and they study all kinds of ways to make it addictive. Kind of like crack.
But when you start eating healthier you will hopefully develop a taste for healthier foods & a greater diversity of them, and the addictive power of the junk food will lose its hold. Basically at this point it's poisoning you. If you really explore what else is out there (not just what's put right in front of your face)-- a whole new world will open to you, and you will be amazed.. it's all endlessly interesting and you will never be bored. You will start to have cravings for healthy things.... instead of the Evil 3- salt/sugar/bad fats.
Do yourself another favor and watch some films about the food industry, such as 'Food Inc.'

But the fact that you see you are in a bad situation that is only getting worse, and you are asking for help, is the first step. The next step is commitment to change! So get together with your wife and make a decision that you really want to change your lives together-- before your health issues get any worse.... it will be so much easier to do it now, than to wait for the inevitable consequences of doing nothing.....!!
The next best thing you can do is the simplest thing ever: START WALKING. Find a city park, greenbelt, or just walk around the neighborhood. If you live in the snow and it's too cold to walk, then get a treadmill, join a gym or swim club, etc. But make it easy and enjoyable, so you'll want to keep going. And yes you have to make the time for it-- even if you have to take one hour off work per week. You CAN do this.

Thank you so much for your reply to my cry for help. your right i make excuses. I feel like a zombie to food. I hate it. I want to be fit again am going to do everything possible. no more junk food. I will eat more veggies and fruits. and yes salads. I can do it. it's Just hard at first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2010, 11:12 PM
 
613 posts, read 1,028,738 times
Reputation: 1211
Oops-- I meant to say 'you are well on your way' (not will on your way.. duh). Just a typo.

So yeah.. I'm trying to encourage you and kick your butt at the same time! You will both feel 1000% better, trust me. It's all about replacing bad habits with good ones. It's human nature to take the path of least resistance, and I totally get that when you work a lot, the last thing you want to do when you're off is exercise-- you want to relax.. who doesn't? But if you get in the habit of simple things like walking after dinner (or whatever you choose) and healthy meals.. and get in the habit now, you can stick with this for life and it will be so much easier as you get older. No one is perfect all the time.. but as long as you're improving and going in the right direction, it's a good thing. Also people think you need to spend lots of money, hire a personal trainer (well,, actually that's not a bad idea if you can afford.. at least for a while)... or buy gadgets or equipment to get in shape, but actually you don't need to spend anything. You also don't need to torture or starve yourself, contrary to popular belief! The human body WANTS to be in good shape.. just remember that.. all you need to do is give it a little help.

But.. you can and you NEED to do this. I'm rooting for you guys!! Keep us posted.. OK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2010, 11:15 PM
 
613 posts, read 1,028,738 times
Reputation: 1211
P.S.... Also one of the reasons I highly recommend getting as much of your food as possible (especially fruits & vegs in season) at farmer's markets.. is because usually, they are sooooo much better than store bought. Much more satisfying, tasty, and some say more nutritious (I agree with this). When you start buying summer tomatoes & cucumbers at FM's, you'll never want another store bought one and eating salads will be a joy instead of a chore. Not to mention fruit like peaches & apples.. ones from the regular groc stores are rarely worth bothering with.. because they pick everything green in some other country, ship to the U.S. and then artificially ripen them (with gas) them in big warehouses. So they might look good but taste like crap. No wonder so many folks don't eat fruit these days-- most of it's unpalatable, and a rip-off! (well OK, some of the new 'gourmet' tomatoes stores have today are much better than in recent years.. although they're mostly grown in Mexico...) but my point is, these days you have to go out of your way a bit to find good produce. But, food's the building block of your life & health,, so it's worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2010, 11:18 PM
 
Location: southern california
57,932 posts, read 76,927,822 times
Reputation: 51316
lots of it is in the mind
you were heavy b4, the health issue was not caused by the marriage.
its something that needs to be addressed with or without marriage. weight loss is an extreme change.
many can take it off by extreme actions but it comes back-- yo yo -weight change is very unhealthy.
my favorite program is kaiser semi fast and kaiser portion diet most effective.
the weight stays off. as to exercise, you must run 10 miles to burn 1000 calories, you can consume 3000 calories in 10 minutes in a fast food joint.
i dont have any problem resisting food as for me food is purely fuel.
of course then again, i gota work on happiness ah there is the rub.
you can easily become unhappy and very fit.
once suffering and deprivation become normal to you, it shows on the face pdq.
people that are cruel and merciless to themselves treat others the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top