U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-09-2010, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,051 posts, read 2,148,853 times
Reputation: 938

Advertisements

I was wondering if I should bother having my thyroid checked.

My mom has always had problems with her thyroid acting up, she has hypothyroidism now and is on medication for it. She first noticed it when she gained a lot of weight for no reason, then noticed other things. Her mother also had thyroid issues too.

I don't know if I should even bother but I wanted to see what you thought. I looked it up online and took a quiz about how risky my thyroid would be and it suggested I see a doctor. I don't notice many problems but I did gain some weight, I feel anxious all of the time, constant heart palpitations, no sex drive at all (my poor husband...I feel so bad, nothing works), trouble falling asleep, etc.

Any help is appreciated Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-09-2010, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Sacramento
2,568 posts, read 6,110,419 times
Reputation: 1919
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlecrazy View Post
I was wondering if I should bother having my thyroid checked.

My mom has always had problems with her thyroid acting up, she has hypothyroidism now and is on medication for it. She first noticed it when she gained a lot of weight for no reason, then noticed other things. Her mother also had thyroid issues too.

I don't know if I should even bother but I wanted to see what you thought. I looked it up online and took a quiz about how risky my thyroid would be and it suggested I see a doctor. I don't notice many problems but I did gain some weight, I feel anxious all of the time, constant heart palpitations, no sex drive at all (my poor husband...I feel so bad, nothing works), trouble falling asleep, etc.

Any help is appreciated Thanks!!
Why not check it? It is just a blood test. If it was an invasive test I could understand you hesitation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2010, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,051 posts, read 2,148,853 times
Reputation: 938
Yep, that's what's better about it, I don't mind the test. I just didn't know if I should bother with it at all. I have a habit of looking up every symptom on webmd, and diagnosing myself with everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2010, 08:49 AM
 
2,024 posts, read 3,051,643 times
Reputation: 1813
I've been wondering about my thyroid as well. Hypo runs in my family. I'm low energy and have a host of other symptoms. Had the blood test and will find out the results this week.

Have the test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2010, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Sacramento
2,568 posts, read 6,110,419 times
Reputation: 1919
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlecrazy View Post
Yep, that's what's better about it, I don't mind the test. I just didn't know if I should bother with it at all. I have a habit of looking up every symptom on webmd, and diagnosing myself with everything.
Yes but it runs in your family, sufficient reason to be tested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2010, 09:06 AM
 
12,630 posts, read 18,563,460 times
Reputation: 3004
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlecrazy View Post
I was wondering if I should bother having my thyroid checked.

My mom has always had problems with her thyroid acting up, she has hypothyroidism now and is on medication for it. She first noticed it when she gained a lot of weight for no reason, then noticed other things. Her mother also had thyroid issues too.

I don't know if I should even bother but I wanted to see what you thought. I looked it up online and took a quiz about how risky my thyroid would be and it suggested I see a doctor. I don't notice many problems but I did gain some weight, I feel anxious all of the time, constant heart palpitations, no sex drive at all (my poor husband...I feel so bad, nothing works), trouble falling asleep, etc.

Any help is appreciated Thanks!!
You can go online and check sysmtoms and if you have them then yes you should get it checked along with that suggest a Pernicious anemia (B-12) it goes with hypothyroid, and all the T-3 tests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2010, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,865 posts, read 57,932,128 times
Reputation: 19182
Just the TSH test alone isn't enough to diagnose. Find an endocrinologist who specializes in the thyroid (not all do, or are just incompetent). There is a panel of lab tests for this. There is also a large overlap of symptoms between over- and under-active thyroid. I would have sworn I had an under-active one when it was actually over-active. It has since been ablated and I feel much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2010, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,051 posts, read 2,148,853 times
Reputation: 938
Thank you all, I'll see about making an appointment for next week. We have way too much dang snow to get anywhere yet.

Thanks SouthernBelle for the advice, I will seek one out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 07:26 PM
 
2,391 posts, read 4,192,172 times
Reputation: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
I've been wondering about my thyroid as well. Hypo runs in my family. I'm low energy and have a host of other symptoms. Had the blood test and will find out the results this week.

Have the test.
So your saying that hypothyroidism runs in your family~? Is this a new disease that maybe they didn't test years ago~?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
You can go online and check sysmtoms and if you have them then yes you should get it checked along with that suggest a Pernicious anemia (B-12) it goes with hypothyroid, and all the T-3 tests.
Do blood disorders and hypothyroidism have a connection~? How~?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top