Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 08:54 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times

Advertisements

I was watching this quick youtube clip showing a Neutrophil which is one of our different White Blood Cells of the Immune System chasing and then killing (disolve it) a staph bacteria in the bloodstream as it's cool to see them in action and so thank your Neutrophils (and others) for constantly protecting us as we are cover with trillions of staph all over our body and orifices (eyes, nose, mouth etc.) wanting to invade and kill us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_xh-bkiv_c
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 12:28 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,929,640 times
I showed that one to my daughter a couple months ago. She thought it was very cool, and really help cement for her what happens when she gets sick.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
I showed that one to my daughter a couple months ago. She thought it was very cool, and really help cement for her what happens when she gets sick.
I had a ''Live Blood Analysis'' done about 5 years ago and it was really cool seeing the 3 different types of White Blood Cells guarding my Red Blood Cells in the Blood Stream and one of them had what looked like tiny bubbles being released from it and i asked the tech what that was a she stated that it was a Mast Cell and it was releasing histamine.

Anyway it was some cool stuff to see .

Old 02-11-2010, 03:08 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,703,722 times
Really interesting...

As the bacteria attempts to get away from the white cell I have to ask

How does the bacteria "know" it's being chased and how does the "chaser" know which way to turn in order to continue the pursuit ?

Is there a chem trail left and thus to follow ??

Old 02-11-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I had a ''Live Blood Analysis'' done about 5 years ago and it was really cool seeing the 3 different types of White Blood Cells guarding my Red Blood Cells in the Blood Stream and one of them had what looked like tiny bubbles being released from it and i asked the tech what that was a she stated that it was a Mast Cell and it was releasing histamine.

Anyway it was some cool stuff to see .
That would be awesome to keep around. Put it on one of those digital wall-frames and just have it playing on a loop.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
Really interesting...

How does the bacteria "know" it's being chased and how does the "chaser" know which way to turn in order to continue the pursuit ?

I'm not sure the bacteria "knows" it's being chased, but it does leave a trail behind. It's a living creature and excretes and affects the chemistry around it. White corpuscles recognize the change and go on the hunt.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
That would be awesome to keep around. Put it on one of those digital wall-frames and just have it playing on a loop.
Although it would be considered outdated now she made me a copy of the 20 minute event on a VHS tape and i took it home and played it on my VCR a few times but i no longer use a VCR and 'm not sure what technology they use now if you want a copy of it to watch at home.

Note: These are not for any diagnostic purpose but more educational just to see what these sustances in our blood plasma actually look like when magnified millions of times their sizes.

This is a good presentation as it's about 10 minutes long but this DR. goes thru and points out what you are seeing on this Live Blood Analysis and he points out how the cells are sticking (not good) also some White Bool Cells and a couple that have an unknown parasite in them as you can see the infected cell wobble from the living parasite and also some have a scalloped coat around them as he stated they are cells that have Free Radical damage usually from smoking or other toxin exposure and also he points out the Uric Acid crystals.

It's about 10 minutes and enjoy if interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUnxB6Vyz-U

Old 02-11-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
Really interesting...

I think Scarmig stated it well as the bacteria have antigens on them and so when our Antibodies recognize them as foreign it chemically calls the Neutrophils (and others) to go after the bacteria that's tagged with a specific chemical.

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 02-11-2010 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: Misspell 6/3

Old 02-11-2010, 10:13 AM

First off micro biology is not my field of expertise...not by a long shot...but

I understand the concept of antigens not having nano surface features recognizable to our antibodies, which intimately sets the chemical attack mode in action. Surface receptors, test keys and all that. But that to me at least implies a near (at the nano scale) direct test and confirm contact type of encounter. And I can see how this would work as various "things" randomly are moved around in some media and occasionally encounter one another. But the video seems to depict something vary very different from near random motion/encounters. There appears to be a flight and pursuit thing going on and that's what I find most interesting.

It has been mentioned that there must be a chemical "trail" left by the bacterium that the antigens pick up on and pursue. That was my first thought as well but it seems like an over simplification to me because such a chemical trail implies the synthesis and release of some "chemical" which in our research labs we should be able to detect. The result of a lab being able to detect this "chemical" would likely lead to a huge break thru in drugs available for all kinds of ailments. Maybe such things already exists but I thought "drugs/chemicals" relied upon the surface key and lock mechanism...again a direct contact "Test".

Of course it's quite possible that the fleeing (whether intentional or not) thing leaves no chemical trail at all but rather interacts with it's surrounding media and that change in the media is what the antigen is following; and clearly from the video it's following. Perhaps a poor analogy but think of a boat (surface or submarine) which can easily be detected and tracked while moving thru the water due to sound/pressure waves, changes in the surrounding fluids density etc etc. The boat leaves no chemical trail but is still easily detected and tracked nonetheless.

Fascinating stuff which I would think could lead to perhaps a different approach to drug therapies.

thanks for posting.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:50 PM

OK...so having my curiosity interest tweaked I found this ...also on youtube

It's short video showing the artificial inducement of the "pursuit" activities..this time the villain, instead of a bacterium is a pipette laced with the chemical trail.
Answers my questions in a good short vid .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUUfd...eature=related

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness