Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 02:38 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,286,917 times

Advertisements

I've had some trouble sleeping lately, but it doesn't account for how exhausted I've been lately. No energy, just feeling drained. I work from home, and when the workday is over, I just want to crawl into bed.

No loss of appetite. No feelings of depression (and I am well acquainted with that, so that's kind of odd). No other aches or pains.

I've made an appointment for my annual checkup, so I'll be getting bloodwork next week.

I think it's PROBABLY one of the following things, but I'd love to hear other suggestions.

-hypothyroid - my grandmother had this.

-My severe ADD is finally catching up with me - it's been worse than usual lately, and maybe I've hit the point in my life where it's just exhausting me.

-Stress (probably tied in with the above) - but I've been VERY stressed before and I never reacted like this. My stress levels are actually fairly low right now, though likely high by the standards of many others.

-Diabetes - my mother was diagnosed several years ago with no warning signs or factors. However, I haven't had any unexplained weight loss.

Any other plausible ideas? I'd like to be able to discuss all the possibilities with the doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 07:03 PM

482 posts, read 896,725 times
You dont say how old you are or your general health but since you work from home may I suggest it may be a lack of physical exercise. I have found when I engage in aerobic type exercise, ie., fast walking, biking, swimming, gardening, cutting the lawn, dancing, etc, then my energy level is up. I sit at a computer all day, and by the end of the day I am exhausted. I hardly moved, but my body is screaming for some activity I am sure, so I accomodate its internal voice and do some exercise.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTwinkie View Post
You dont say how old you are or your general health but since you work from home may I suggest it may be a lack of physical exercise. I have found when I engage in aerobic type exercise, ie., fast walking, biking, swimming, gardening, cutting the lawn, dancing, etc, then my energy level is up. I sit at a computer all day, and by the end of the day I am exhausted. I hardly moved, but my body is screaming for some activity I am sure, so I accomodate its internal voice and do some exercise.
I'm 38 and I'm not a regular exerciser, but I've been fairly active recently. Definitely not sedentary. My housemate is getting a hip replacement, and we've been doing a lot of cleaning and rearranging and yard work to prep for the fact that she will not be very mobile for a while.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:53 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,755,293 times
Type 2 diabetes doesn't usually cause unexplained weight loss until it gets really, really bad.

Anemia or sleep apnea can also cause fatigue.

Good luck figuring it out, fatigue can be a tricky one.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:57 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,231,855 times
could be low iron? I am almost in the same boat, I work from home too no matter if I don't do anything or if im physically active I am just always tired, just completely out of it and my doc says its low iron and stress

Old 08-21-2014, 10:00 PM

14,771 posts, read 17,054,317 times
Low iron, with low vitamin d is often caused from thyroid issues.

Definitely get that checked. Also make sure they do a full thyroid check (T4, T3, Reverse T3) not just the useless TSH. Also, the range for TSH is pretty much pointless.... from my experience/reading between 1-2 is ideal.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:14 AM

148 posts, read 140,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I've had some trouble sleeping lately, but it doesn't account for how exhausted I've been lately. No energy, just feeling drained. I work from home, and when the workday is over, I just want to crawl into bed.

No loss of appetite. No feelings of depression (and I am well acquainted with that, so that's kind of odd). No other aches or pains.

I've made an appointment for my annual checkup, so I'll be getting bloodwork next week.

I think it's PROBABLY one of the following things, but I'd love to hear other suggestions.

-hypothyroid - my grandmother had this.

-My severe ADD is finally catching up with me - it's been worse than usual lately, and maybe I've hit the point in my life where it's just exhausting me.

-Stress (probably tied in with the above) - but I've been VERY stressed before and I never reacted like this. My stress levels are actually fairly low right now, though likely high by the standards of many others.

-Diabetes - my mother was diagnosed several years ago with no warning signs or factors. However, I haven't had any unexplained weight loss.

Any other plausible ideas? I'd like to be able to discuss all the possibilities with the doctor.
your burnt out and worried take a rest

Old 08-22-2014, 11:51 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,962,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Low iron, with low vitamin d is often caused from thyroid issues.

Definitely get that checked. Also make sure they do a full thyroid check (T4, T3, Reverse T3) not just the useless TSH. Also, the range for TSH is pretty much pointless.... from my experience/reading between 1-2 is ideal.
I agree; although according to Dr. Davis (the author of Wheatbelly) and a couple other experts, an ideal TSH level is actually even lower (less than 1.0).

I've had the same feeling as the OP lately and my doctor actually gave me thyroid medicine (a very small dose). I've been taking it for 3 days, so no huge change yet, but I have definitely had more energy in the evenings than I did previously. Recently I had been falling asleep around 8:30/9:00 pm, even though I don't get up until after 6:00 am. I was so tired the past couple weeks I didn't have enough energy to exercise yet I could not come up with a single reason why I was so tired. It's been odd, to say the least.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:33 PM

I had wondered about low iron. And thanks artemis for reminding me about getting the more complete thyroid check. I think that would be best.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:02 PM

268 posts, read 643,870 times
DIET DIET DIET...

eat healthy/clean/fibrous/light
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness