U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 11:46 AM

8,415 posts, read 36,112,354 times

Advertisements

Youre friend sounds like she has an eating disorder. A proper cleanse would not leave you with a flaccid colon. Cleanse abuse will. Obsession with clean eating and being clean to the point of harming yourself as she has done is disordered.

That aside....

Test the stuff on yourself. Make a 3 month commitment to be free of that chemical and see how you feel. Then eat it again for 3 months. You most likely will feel a positive difference without it. Fake sugars also cause blood sugar spikes. Stevia will not do that. I drink it but I know I shouldn't. I feel so much better without it. I think I have a slight allergy to it because I get a little flushed if I drink a lot.
Some people get rashes or loose stools (all signs your body is trying to push something out that does not work with it in a positive way)

It started to give my father kidney stones. Those stopped when the fake sugar stopped. The fake sugar can be hard on the kidneys and you must protect those if you are prone to blood sugar issues.

Water is your best drink if you have blood sugar problems. Splash some juice in seltzer water if you can get away with that. (some people are super sugar sensitive so I don't want to try that if it could make you ill)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 05:01 PM

19,188 posts, read 5,179,932 times
I have used Splenda with no problem but bought some Truvia and it made me feel sick.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:26 PM

746 posts, read 3,232,313 times
I am diabetic and have used aspertame without a problem since it was introduced. Some (few) people are sensitive to it, but for most of us, it is fine, a real help for diabetics, of which I am a Type 2.

The hysteria over aspertame continues, with not very much credible proof of a real problem. Sort of like those who won't vaccinate children because of fear of autism. Now that this has been shown to be untrue, people are more convinced than ever that there is a conspiracy.

I used to think all these rumors about Equal and its related products was the doing of the Sugar Council, but now I think there are a lot of competitors at work on destroying the product for their own competitive advantage.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:47 PM

621 posts, read 957,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post
I am diabetic and have used aspertame without a problem since it was introduced. Some (few) people are sensitive to it, but for most of us, it is fine, a real help for diabetics, of which I am a Type 2.

The hysteria over aspertame continues, with not very much credible proof of a real problem. Sort of like those who won't vaccinate children because of fear of autism. Now that this has been shown to be untrue, people are more convinced than ever that there is a conspiracy.

I used to think all these rumors about Equal and its related products was the doing of the Sugar Council, but now I think there are a lot of competitors at work on destroying the product for their own competitive advantage.
Conspiracies?

Absolutely NOT!

Both of your examples have extensive research pointing to dangers.

Aspartame and other artificial sweeteners is actually being blamed for Type II Diabetes.

Quote:
Russell Blaylock, MD, is arguably the world's foremost authority on the biochemistry of aspartame and its effect on brain
function. Dr. Blaylock classifies aspartame alongside monosodium glutamate as an "excitotoxin"-substances that
overstimulate brain cells causing cascades of neurological complications. His book, "Excitotoxins: The Taste that Kills," is
considered by many to be a definitive work in the field of excitotoxicity.
http://www.nogw.com/download/_07_rep...d_children.pdf

Now these may still be proven one way or another, but when scientists are disputing amongst one another, it suggests answers have yet to be determined and therefore is not a conspiracy. It's an unknown entity with correlations and indications of contraindications.

Autism

There is actual proof of a correlation between vaccinations and autism and it's important that all parents are aware of them and seek out the truth so as to not be bullied into taking some types of vaccinations that can do harm to some children. An autistic child should verify with their Doctor prior to all vaccinations for instruction and preventive measures to reduce the dangers associated with some vaccinations.

Autism Society of America: research_envirohealth_vaccines (http://www.autism-society.org/site/PageServer?pagename=research_envirohealth_vaccines - broken link)

Autism and Vaccinations | Children's Health (http://www.westonaprice.org/Autism-and-Vaccinations.html - broken link)

Old 04-25-2010, 08:48 AM

2,359 posts, read 8,298,776 times
splenda, sugar-free, nutrasweet, Artificial Sweeteners = aspartame

aspartame = brain damage

Old 04-25-2010, 09:09 AM

6,023 posts, read 12,242,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz View Post
Processed foods such as potatoe chips and those boxed dinners are FULL of very scarey stuff -
That is not always true. Regular Lay's potato chips only have potatoes, oil and salt as the ingredients. We also eat Farmhouse brand boxed noodle meals and they are all natural with no preservatives or other nasty stuff.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:16 AM

9,444 posts, read 15,754,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Simply flat tell your "friend" to clean her own house and leave yours to you.

The fact is there is no "safe" sugar substitute only some worse than others. That said, carbs are what the diabetic needs to watch the closest since the body makes sugar from them.
Oh that is not true at all.

OP, your friend is concerned about you. Maybe she shouldn't be nagging you, but aspartame should not be consumed regularly in any way, shape or form....better yet, eliminate it at all.

There IS a safe sugar substitute that is safe for diabetics and it's called Stevia.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:09 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,220,569 times
I think you should go with the stevia too.

I was drinking aspartame for a few weeks without knowing it. It was in a drink that said "naturally flavored". I should have known better, but I didn't think about it.

I couldn't breathe. I was afraid I was developing asthma or something worse. Every breath hurt and I couldn't get enough air, couldn't exercise or even walk fast. It was very scary! It occurred to me out of the blue one night that maybe I shouldn't drink that beverage. I looked at the ingredients and saw that there was aspartame. I googled difficulty breathing and aspartame and found lots of scary stuff. Apparently it can cause difficulty breathing, which eventually (quicker in some people) causes an enlarged heart and death.

Since I've stopped it, I have been breathing easily and deeply again. It was very clearly connected. No mistake about it.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:27 PM

595 posts, read 764,136 times
Default Aspertame

Aspartame is alcohol metabolising sweetener ( related to wood alcohol) and it absorbs into the brain potentially causing temporal arteritis) and TIA's (transient ischemic attacks) It can effect the optic nerve in some cases and cause temporary blindness. It is a dangerous additive and those with diabetes are it's biggest victims as it is a "super sugar" five time more potent than table sugar. Some folks believe their stokes were caused by it but the FDA has put blinders on and do the balllaalllallaalllla
while hold their ears. We purchase Xylitol (powder) from Swanson Supplemnt Co. for $5.95 for half the price of health foods stores. We
hated Setiva and Splenda. Anyway Xylitol is also good for your teeth.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:33 PM

15,885 posts, read 32,998,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
splenda, sugar-free, nutrasweet, Artificial Sweeteners = aspartame

aspartame = brain damage
Splenda isn't aspartame, it's sucralose.

Diet Rite soda uses Splenda. I can sometimes find Diet Coke made with it, you have to look for the yellow ring around the top of the can. Publix brand diet soda also uses it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness