U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 11:09 PM

3,258 posts, read 4,396,820 times

Advertisements

Use Stevia as your sweetener. It's naturally-derived. You can Youtube Dr. Russell Blaylock's lecture on Aspartame. I read his book, which recommends Stevia. Blaylock is a Neurosurgeon who started researching neurotoxins, after his father died of Alzheimer's. He's one of the few health authorities I consider to be both competent and trustworthy.

My personal 'Diet Soda', though, is a few drops of Vanilla Extract in a glass of Seltzer Water. Ever so comforting. If you need the Caffeine, try NoDoz.

My 'party cocktail' is freshly-brewed Green Tea and a twist of Lemon, in Seltzer or Pellegrino Water.

In our refridgerators, we keep glass gallon jugs of purified water, one flavored with Vanilla, one with Cinnamon, and one with Clove...no calories...no sweeteners...just a bit more interesting than plain water. Actually, my Decorator shared this diet strategy with me, and our kids grew up with this system. For the Clove and Cinnamon, you (!!!!!carefully!!!!!!!) pour hot water into a jug in which a Cinnamon stick or (2 Cloves) has been placed. Economical, and the Dentist loves me. The safest way is to pour some hot water from a small tea kettle into the jug, allow to steep, then pour cool purified water in, to finish out the gallon.

BTW, Dessert, at our house, is buttery Puff Pastry, filled or spread with fresh, raw, fruit sauces. Basically, I just throw a whole Organic Meyer Lemon, Navel Orange, or Apple, into the food processor, with maybe some Cinnamon, Nutmeg or Allspice. Keeping the fruit raw keeps the carbohydrates complex. Even flash-cooking changes the structure of the sugars. Making Puff Pastry was something the Kids and I learned together. It was something they could safely do, to help out. Now, they all make Pastry Dough to relax, and keep me up to my ears in Pastry Shells....heavenly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 10:05 AM

26,157 posts, read 16,153,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady
I don't believe every scary story that comes along, but I have studied lots of articles on aspartame and I can only say I've read enough to make me believe it should not be consumed on a regular basis
No it should not be,quite dangerous!!

A good read: http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/damage.txt

Stories from people affected: http://web.archive.org/web/20080625044931/http://www.presidiotex.com/personal_stories (broken link)

Whats really sad is the ones that wont listen to you when you try to tell them how bad it is!! (When it is a loved one its even sadder)

They blindly believe a doctor/mainstream info whos only goal is TO KEEP THE $$$ COMING IN! (@ least in the usa)

Old 02-18-2011, 10:29 AM

5,473 posts, read 9,863,714 times
Im heavily addicted to Diet Coke and drink 3-4 cans a day. Have not noticed any ill effects...yet. I think these energy drinks are much more harmful(cant drink them at all I start to shake)In my opinion they should be banned.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:38 PM

5,359 posts, read 11,520,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post

Stories from people affected: Personal Stories (http://web.archive.org/web/20080625044931/http://www.presidiotex.com/personal_stories - broken link)

Whats really sad is the ones that wont listen to you when you try to tell them how bad it is!! (When it is a loved one its even sadder)

They blindly believe a doctor/mainstream info whos only goal is TO KEEP THE $$$ COMING IN! (@ least in the usa)
Its even sadder when people go to websites like this and post nonsense from blogs without the faintest idea what they are talking about...

There is NO credible proof that aspartame causes any of the problems its opponents would like to believe it causes....NONE

Are doctors getting kickbacks from the makers of aspartame??

Is that the kind of nonsense you are implying???

Whatever dude...

"Evidence does not support links between aspartame and cancer, hair loss, depression, dementia, behavioural disturbances, or any of the other conditions appearing in websites. "
Aspartame and its effects on health -- Lean and Hankey 329 (7469): 755 -- bmj.com

Too bad facts don't support your delusions

Old 02-18-2011, 07:30 PM

26,157 posts, read 16,153,309 times
Its too bad you only listen to MAINSTREAM sources who obviously arent going to tell you the truth!

Did you read the 2nd link i posted?? (All those people are not lying)

Old 02-18-2011, 09:12 PM

2,756 posts, read 5,529,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz View Post
I won't go near aspartame! That stuff literally "kills" me. In the past I have had serious problems with GERD... (Gastric reflux disease) - my stomach lining was taking over my esophagus and I was going to have to go in every 6 months for biopsies. With it cleared up now through clean eating - anything with aspartame seems to send the GERD into overdrive!

Aspartame is a chemicle and although it may be safe according to the FDA - it is still a chemicle that your body may or may not be able handle.

Unfortunately there are far worse chemicles in our food then aspartame. Processed foods such as potatoe chips and those boxed dinners are FULL of very scarey stuff - after reading the information on the FDA page in regards to some of those chemicles - which are "safe" in "low" doses... when you think about all the crap we feed our children - in "safe" "low" doses in one product, then another and another and another - by the end of the day those "low" doses have added up to "high" doses..
I seriously doubt it was the aspartame that caused your GERD. More likely it was the phosphoric acid in the carbonated soft drinks, which is what the manufacturers use to fizz it up. Phospho acid also leaches calcium from the bones and can prompt the onset of osteroporosis, which is why anyone who drinks more than a can a day should take calcium/vitamin D pills.
As far as aspartame? There has been no conclusive evidence yet from the medical community that it causes harm. All the negative stuff is from consumers who very likely may be confusing the causes of their respective maladies--like you did with the GERD.
I visited my doctor the other day, who is 60 years old and look 40 and wrestled in college and now runs marathons.
He was drinking a diet coke. LOL. In fact, all the info I just posted was from his mouth, when I jokingly teased him about messin' with that nasty aspartame!

Old 02-18-2011, 10:44 PM

19,865 posts, read 58,017,760 times
Quote:
Its too bad you only listen to MAINSTREAM sources who obviously arent going to tell you the truth!

Did you read the 2nd link i posted?? (All those people are not lying)
Anecdotal stories are not evidence, not proof. People mistakenly ascribe events to various causes when in fact it's just a correlation, not causation.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:04 PM

2,187 posts, read 7,037,619 times
I don't know why your friend feels the need to lecture you. I personally avoid Aspartame because I know scientists that study it and some of the information they have told me frankly scares me to death. Search it through Google Scholar and you may end up thinking twice too. But, what you eat is really your decision. We are all different and even all diabetics or borderline diabetics are different. BTW - I don't even know what Sundrop is! Is that a soda?

Diabetes is caused by so many different things that it is kind of hard to pinpoint. Some people lose weight and diabetes disappears, some stop drinking soda and it goes away, and others make some pretty hefty diet changes.

It is worth noting that there are two different versions of Diet Coke in stores (not that I drink either - never acquired the taste for any diet drink much less regular soda really). There is one version with Aspartame (Nutrasweet brand name) and the other is with Splenda which is Sucralose. Some claim that Splenda is a lot safer than Aspartame but that is up to each person to determine.

Regardless, getting your blood sugar under control is quite a juggling act in the beginning and it may be wise to monitor how your body reacts to each additive and even regular soda. Good luck regardless and it sounds like you just need to take more of your friends commentary with a grain of salt.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:59 PM

4,709 posts, read 7,509,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickers View Post
That is not always true. Regular Lay's potato chips only have potatoes, oil and salt as the ingredients. We also eat Farmhouse brand boxed noodle meals and they are all natural with no preservatives or other nasty stuff.
If you listen to certain people in the White House, potatos are bad for you. Peons should have their potato rations reduced.
OTOH, certain people in the White House loooove french fries. I mean Freedom Fries.

You're right. Potato chips are pretty simple food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Splenda isn't aspartame, it's sucralose.

Diet Rite soda uses Splenda. I can sometimes find Diet Coke made with it, you have to look for the yellow ring around the top of the can. Publix brand diet soda also uses it.
I've had Diet Coke with Splenda. It's bad enough that I'd swear off the stuff if that was all I could get. As it is, I do in 3-4 DCs a week.

Quote:

Stories from people affected: Internet Archive Wayback Machine (http://web.archive.org/web/20080625044931/http://www.presidiotex.com/personal_stories - broken link)

There are no attributions to either of those links. The first link is an anonymous paper with no sources and no author and no credentials. The second link just goes to the Wayback Machine. Not much there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Its even sadder when people go to websites like this and post nonsense from blogs without the faintest idea what they are talking about...

There is NO credible proof that aspartame causes any of the problems its opponents would like to believe it causes....NONE

Are doctors getting kickbacks from the makers of aspartame??

Is that the kind of nonsense you are implying???

Whatever dude...

"Evidence does not support links between aspartame and cancer, hair loss, depression, dementia, behavioural disturbances, or any of the other conditions appearing in websites. "
Aspartame and its effects on health -- Lean and Hankey 329 (7469): 755 -- bmj.com

Too bad facts don't support your delusions
Your evidence is not much more convincing than Dude111's. BMJ I presume is British Medical Journal? Or something else? The site does not even identify its full name.

And it's an editorial from 2004. That "evidence" is also hardly convincing of anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Anecdotal stories are not evidence, not proof. People mistakenly ascribe events to various causes when in fact it's just a correlation, not causation.
Yes and no.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:58 AM

746 posts, read 3,233,126 times
Perhaps Snopes might be a more reliable source on the subject.

snopes.com: Aspartame -- Sweet Poison?

It might be summarized as this: FALSE. Just as no single chemical cures everything, neither does one substance cause everything. The safety of Equal has been upheld by sources from the FDA to the American Council on Science and Health.

Yes they are mainstream organizations. Backed by real science. You can believe the quacks and pseudo-science sites if you want. But not me. I know the difference between reality and paranoia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness