U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-12-2010, 11:11 AM
 
1,364 posts, read 3,288,140 times
Reputation: 1494

Advertisements

Let me start by saying I am a borderline diabetic, controlling with diet and exercise and doing very well at it. I drink 75-96 ozs of water a day along with herbal tea and a 9oz glass of light juice. I also drink 2 cans of diet coke a day. My good friend, who thinks she's a nutrisionist will not stop nagging me about the aspartame I consume. "its formaldhyde to your system" "you're killing yourself with all that aspartame", on and on....

this is a woman who does colon cleansing for weight loss, lets her teenage daughter eat nothing but french fries (shes a vegatarian), binges on cookies, and SUNDROP SODA, and has messed up her metabolism so badly with laxatives and colon cleansing, she can't poop, yet I am killing myself.

The classes I took at the Diabetes center and my doctor have no problems with the diet soda, I certainly shouldn't drink regular sodas.

What is your opinion of Aspartame?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-12-2010, 11:36 AM
 
Location: La lune et les étoiles
18,041 posts, read 19,734,957 times
Reputation: 19460
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
Let me start by saying I am a borderline diabetic, controlling with diet and exercise and doing very well at it. I drink 75-96 ozs of water a day along with herbal tea and a 9oz glass of light juice. I also drink 2 cans of diet coke a day. My good friend, who thinks she's a nutrisionist will not stop nagging me about the aspartame I consume. "its formaldhyde to your system" "you're killing yourself with all that aspartame", on and on....

this is a woman who does colon cleansing for weight loss, lets her teenage daughter eat nothing but french fries (shes a vegatarian), binges on cookies, and SUNDROP SODA, and has messed up her metabolism so badly with laxatives and colon cleansing, she can't poop, yet I am killing myself.

The classes I took at the Diabetes center and my doctor have no problems with the diet soda, I certainly shouldn't drink regular sodas.

What is your opinion of Aspartame?
Diabetes runs in my family and although I have not been diagnosed, I treat myself/my diet as if I am pre-diabetic.

I dropped 10 pounds (without any effort) after I stopped using artificial sweetners (nutrasweet, Splenda) about 4 years ago.

I do not drink sodas at all. I will usually drink water, iced tea sweetened with honey or lemonade (made with real lemons) lightly sweetened with raw sugar and freshly grated ginger.

It is time to stop putting artificial "food like substances" into our bodies that have zero nutritional value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2010, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Jollyville, TX
3,991 posts, read 9,717,294 times
Reputation: 4720
I don't believe every scary story that comes along, but I have studied lots of articles on aspartame and I can only say I've read enough to make me believe it should not be consumed on a regular basis. My DH is diabetic and he has switched to using Truvia in his coffee and Agave nectar to replace honey (something he loves). We don't drink many sodas, but I don't sweat an occasional diet soda with aspartame. I just don't want to consume it daily or even in any large quantity. I don't know that I have anything scientific to back this up, there's just too many potential risks IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2010, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,955 posts, read 18,199,942 times
Reputation: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
Let me start by saying I am a borderline diabetic, controlling with diet and exercise and doing very well at it. I drink 75-96 ozs of water a day along with herbal tea and a 9oz glass of light juice. I also drink 2 cans of diet coke a day. My good friend, who thinks she's a nutrisionist will not stop nagging me about the aspartame I consume. "its formaldhyde to your system" "you're killing yourself with all that aspartame", on and on....

this is a woman who does colon cleansing for weight loss, lets her teenage daughter eat nothing but french fries (shes a vegatarian), binges on cookies, and SUNDROP SODA, and has messed up her metabolism so badly with laxatives and colon cleansing, she can't poop, yet I am killing myself.

The classes I took at the Diabetes center and my doctor have no problems with the diet soda, I certainly shouldn't drink regular sodas.

What is your opinion of Aspartame?
Simply flat tell your "friend" to clean her own house and leave yours to you.

The fact is there is no "safe" sugar substitute only some worse than others. That said, carbs are what the diabetic needs to watch the closest since the body makes sugar from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2010, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Midwest
4,658 posts, read 7,482,299 times
Reputation: 8359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Simply flat tell your "friend" to clean her own house and leave yours to you.

The fact is there is no "safe" sugar substitute only some worse than others. That said, carbs are what the diabetic needs to watch the closest since the body makes sugar from them.
AMEN! The "friend" has bundles of issues that she has stuffed, and is projecting onto OP what she (at some level) knows is her own underlying pathology.

Someone with the habits littlelou describes needs some serious help. Very serious.

As for aspartame, other than the fact that Donald Rumsfeld got it shoved through the approval process, that it probably would never have been approved without him, I feel assured it is not 100% safe as the FDA would have us think.

I think each drug, each additive, each everything affects each individual differently.

I would go looking for new friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2010, 10:20 PM
 
4,502 posts, read 12,232,579 times
Reputation: 4072
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
What is your opinion of Aspartame?
I'm no health nut, but I wouldn't touch Aspartame with a 10 foot pole. I used to love my diet soda and drank 2 -3 cans a day. I kept feeling horrible but coudln't put my finger on what was wrong --- just an overall "feeling". Then my joints/muscles started aching constantly to the point where I could barely get out of a chair without help. A woman at my job said "it's all that diet soda you're drinking". I asked her what she meant and she explained to me she had all the same problems and symptoms and they all went away once she stopped drinking the diet soda. Well, I stopped shortly after that and the majority of my symptoms have gone away.

There are various websites about the dangers of Aspartame. There are also websites in favor of Aspartame. I guess it's up to you to do the research and form your own opinion on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2010, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Jollyville, TX
3,991 posts, read 9,717,294 times
Reputation: 4720
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I'm no health nut, but I wouldn't touch Aspartame with a 10 foot pole. I used to love my diet soda and drank 2 -3 cans a day. I kept feeling horrible but coudln't put my finger on what was wrong --- just an overall "feeling". Then my joints/muscles started aching constantly to the point where I could barely get out of a chair without help. A woman at my job said "it's all that diet soda you're drinking". I asked her what she meant and she explained to me she had all the same problems and symptoms and they all went away once she stopped drinking the diet soda. Well, I stopped shortly after that and the majority of my symptoms have gone away.

There are various websites about the dangers of Aspartame. There are also websites in favor of Aspartame. I guess it's up to you to do the research and form your own opinion on it.
I have a friend who was having the same problems - achy muscles and joints and I knew she drank a lot of diet sodas, so I told her to try giving them up to see if it helped. It turned out, it wasn't the Aspartame in the Diet Coke, but the AceK in the Coke Zero, so everyone may have different sensitivities to artificial sweetners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2010, 09:04 AM
 
267 posts, read 1,273,717 times
Reputation: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
AMEN! The "friend" has bundles of issues that she has stuffed, and is projecting onto OP what she (at some level) knows is her own underlying pathology.

Someone with the habits littlelou describes needs some serious help. Very serious.

As for aspartame, other than the fact that Donald Rumsfeld got it shoved through the approval process, that it probably would never have been approved without him, I feel assured it is not 100% safe as the FDA would have us think.

I think each drug, each additive, each everything affects each individual differently.

I would go looking for new friends.
Very much reminds me of those who go on and on and on about those "evil" cigarettes and how they cause cancer but YET they smoke those flavored cigars ( example Black & Mild ) thinking they are better for one's health than say Camel or Marlboros. No shortage of people who really do believe this

Aspartame....about ten years ago I can remember watching the late Peter Jennings on ABC News doing a report about how someone who had became so depressed over the massive amounts of aspartame he was consuming that he went as far as killing his family before turning the gun onto himself. Actually I believe Dr. Dean Edell talked about this around the same time as well...yet last night I couldn't find anything online at all about this incident but i still remember it.

I do remember back in 2001 when I was involved with Weight Watchers they found themsevles into controversy when under the point systems..diet sodas ( and oddly iced beer such as Bud Ice for example ) was giving a ZERO point vaule meaning one can drink all they want and it would not going against their daily points. Weight Watchers quite quickly took Bud Ice off their "OK list" but for some reason they kept diet sodas on for awhile longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2010, 10:03 AM
 
621 posts, read 956,247 times
Reputation: 399
Aspartame has terrible effects on me and I have to avoid it.

Anyone with IBD should avoid it according to the Doctors and Gastroenterologists.

However, if you are experiencing no ill effects from it, than I have no opinion.

I understand Stevia (sp) to be considered the most healthy at this time. (until they report otherwise-AGAIN!)

Aspartame has been reported to have a new name in products: "AminoSweet". So, for those avoiding the sweetener, be on the lookout for this new name.

Beware - Aspartame Has Been Renamed 'AminoSweet'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2010, 06:07 AM
Itz
 
714 posts, read 1,973,598 times
Reputation: 888
I won't go near aspartame! That stuff literally "kills" me. In the past I have had serious problems with GERD... (Gastric reflux disease) - my stomach lining was taking over my esophagus and I was going to have to go in every 6 months for biopsies. With it cleared up now through clean eating - anything with aspartame seems to send the GERD into overdrive!

Aspartame is a chemicle and although it may be safe according to the FDA - it is still a chemicle that your body may or may not be able handle.

Unfortunately there are far worse chemicles in our food then aspartame. Processed foods such as potatoe chips and those boxed dinners are FULL of very scarey stuff - after reading the information on the FDA page in regards to some of those chemicles - which are "safe" in "low" doses... when you think about all the crap we feed our children - in "safe" "low" doses in one product, then another and another and another - by the end of the day those "low" doses have added up to "high" doses..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top