Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 07:25 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,009 times

Advertisements

I've been gaining weight lately due mostly to eating sweets at night. Can anyone suggest a replacement (even if just mental), when thoughts turn to food at night? Maybe I'm somewhat addicted to sugar as well. Do any sophisticated dieters out there have any advice so that I can just slip these somewhat superficial cravings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 07:44 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,576,090 times
I have a huge sweet tooth! Sweets are my weakness.. I can tell you about my experience. I decided several years ago to start eating healthier and have done a great job at it (still sneaking in my sweets now and then).. The more sugar you eat, the more you crave. If I can make it through ONE day without anything sweet, I do not crave them the next day. If I still eat the sweets, just in a lot smaller amounts, I will crave them the next day, just not as bad. So, the more I eat, the more I crave, the less I eat of them, the less I crave them the next day.. So give that a try. Don't deny yourself, just cut back..... then cut back some more.... and cut back some more.. see if that works for you! It worked for me. AVOID artifical sweetners. My belief is that a little real sugar is better for you than ANY amount of artifical sweetner.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:53 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
A small amount of bittersweet chocolate works for me. Not a lot of sugar, and the chocolate is so rich that you don't need a lot.

That and a dinner with lots of protein and vegetables. The protein and veggies fill you up enough so you don't want anything else.

Stay busy after dinner. Take a walk; do some yoga. Go to bed earlier if nothing else -- can't eat while you're sleeping!

Old 07-15-2008, 09:16 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,613,896 times
Usually a high protein snack helps on that as it keeps your Insulin levels from swinging which can cause cravings. Some cheese or walnuts/almonds or even a whey protein shake an help.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:02 AM

638 posts, read 3,123,305 times
I agree with all of the above posts. Swinging insulin levels which shows up as fatigue seems to trigger my night-time cravings. A small protein snack (usually 1 oz cheese on 4 saltine crackers) and going to bed earlier helps me control my weight.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:50 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
The more sugar you eat, the more you crave. If I can make it through ONE day without anything sweet, I do not crave them the next day.
This is fascinating Laura! I can totally beleive it, it does seem like the more sweets I eat the more I want. I will start thinking of sugar like a drug for now on. Thanks for the helpful response!

Old 07-15-2008, 04:39 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,338,160 times
What works for me is a protein bar; I use one from Herbalife.
During the day if I get hungry, a can of sardines or oysters fills me up.
The more protein and fiber, the better. (IMO)

Old 07-15-2008, 04:42 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,338,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
I have a huge sweet tooth! Sweets are my weakness.. I can tell you about my experience. I decided several years ago to start eating healthier and have done a great job at it (still sneaking in my sweets now and then).. The more sugar you eat, the more you crave. If I can make it through ONE day without anything sweet, I do not crave them the next day. If I still eat the sweets, just in a lot smaller amounts, I will crave them the next day, just not as bad. So, the more I eat, the more I crave, the less I eat of them, the less I crave them the next day.. So give that a try. Don't deny yourself, just cut back..... then cut back some more.... and cut back some more.. see if that works for you! It worked for me. AVOID artifical sweetners. My belief is that a little real sugar is better for you than ANY amount of artifical sweetner.
I was a huge sweet craver too. I started taking chromium supplements and it has helped me to keep my cravings under control but what you said is very true. The more sugar one eats, the more cravings. A big fat ugh on artificial sweeteners.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:36 AM

790 posts, read 4,018,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I've been gaining weight lately due mostly to eating sweets at night. Can anyone suggest a replacement (even if just mental), when thoughts turn to food at night? Maybe I'm somewhat addicted to sugar as well. Do any sophisticated dieters out there have any advice so that I can just slip these somewhat superficial cravings?
Stop eating sweets at night.
Why be complicated and "sophisticated" about it?
If the craving are superficial as you stated and you don't have an addiction, eating disorder, etc. just knock it off.
I wouldn't say that to someone who had a real disorder but from what you said in your post, you do not.
My general rule is to not eat after sun-set. This optimizes digestion and prevents weight gain as well. You're body should not be working to digest and assimilate food at night during sleep. That time is for rest and regeneration.
If you're eating due to boredom address that issue. If it's emotional, address that issue. If you're lonely, address that issue. If you're anxious, address that issue. Work on becoming aware of why you're eating when you're not hungry.
I've had sugar addictions on and off all of my life. When i make the decision to stop eating sugar i always feel better after the initial withdraw. Then the cravings just aren't there. And other foods begin to taste sweeter as well.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:09 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,690,706 times
All very good suggestions. Laura, your post sounds like what I would have said - almost to the word - I agree completely. The more sugar one consumes, the more one craves it. Be careful, too, of beverages and processed foods - there is high fructose corn syrup in just about everything. Read the labels!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness