U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2010, 03:04 PM

677 posts, read 1,473,628 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to stay away from unhealthy food, but that seems to be all that my father buys. I'm an adult and don't want to ask him to buy different food for me to eat, but I do want to eat healthy. The only thing is that I have a very limited budget for groceries.

Does anyone have suggestions for inexpensive and healthy foods?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 03:11 PM

Whoops. Just realized the title is spelled wrong. Haha. Obviously I mean Eating Healthy on a Budget. Lo siento.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:37 PM

3,627 posts, read 13,151,366 times
Dried beans and rice are very inexpensive and excellent for health. You soak overnight and they can take awhile to cook but are a very good value.

Frozen vegetables are not usually as expenvive as fresh and can be a good bargain.
Sweet potatoes are cheap and nutritios as is winter squash.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:54 PM

8,415 posts, read 36,112,354 times
Just an idea too:

Look at the cost of junky foods adding up. I was going to get some name brand chips the other day and put them back when I saw they are almost 5 bucks a bag now...You could buy a whole huge sack of real potatos that will last you a month at least for less than that. Those junk food bags last what...a week, if that? (a day in this house...lol)

You can get all different types of meal bars on amazon for cheap if you go bulk.

Eat less meat or none at all. Meat is expensive.

Get your fresh stuff on sale only. Shop the area flyers before even going out the door. If the store is out go get a rain check from the service desk for that price. Some stores have the "deals" but buy low amounts of the deal item. (bait and switch)

Agree on the dry rice,beans and frozen points already made.

Get HEALTHY cereal. Think high fiber, low sugar. Its pretty cheap as far as meals go.

If you want to stretch your milk, just add water. If I get milk I only pay for whole milk and then add about equal parts water. Makes it taste like 2% and cuts the cals/fat in half.

Don't spend money on beverages. Get a brita or pur water filter and make water your only beverage. If you want a flavor make a big pot of iced tea (cheaper than mixes and sodas)

Old 02-15-2010, 04:35 PM

14,076 posts, read 18,175,863 times
If you live with Dad, you pretty much eat what he buys. After all, he's footin' the bill.

You could always get your own place and eat what you want.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Dried beans and rice are very inexpensive and excellent for health. You soak overnight and they can take awhile to cook but are a very good value.

Frozen vegetables are not usually as expenvive as fresh and can be a good bargain.
Sweet potatoes are cheap and nutritios as is winter squash.
Thank you for the suggestions - I've heard that brown rice is better than white rice, is that correct? Does it matter either way?

Good idea on the frozen vegetables - I hadn't given that much thought.

Thank you for the suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Just an idea too:

Look at the cost of junky foods adding up. I was going to get some name brand chips the other day and put them back when I saw they are almost 5 bucks a bag now...You could buy a whole huge sack of real potatos that will last you a month at least for less than that. Those junk food bags last what...a week, if that? (a day in this house...lol)

You can get all different types of meal bars on amazon for cheap if you go bulk.

Eat less meat or none at all. Meat is expensive.

Get your fresh stuff on sale only. Shop the area flyers before even going out the door. If the store is out go get a rain check from the service desk for that price. Some stores have the "deals" but buy low amounts of the deal item. (bait and switch)

Agree on the dry rice,beans and frozen points already made.

Get HEALTHY cereal. Think high fiber, low sugar. Its pretty cheap as far as meals go.

If you want to stretch your milk, just add water. If I get milk I only pay for whole milk and then add about equal parts water. Makes it taste like 2% and cuts the cals/fat in half.

Don't spend money on beverages. Get a brita or pur water filter and make water your only beverage. If you want a flavor make a big pot of iced tea (cheaper than mixes and sodas)
Haha, yes, junk food is something that I'm staying far away from. Idk what the deal is with potato chips being so pricey - I guess high demand = high prices.

Are there any kinds of meal bars that you would recommend? I'm not very well versed in brands or flavors or anything

Yes, I've been trying to eat a lot of cereal - mostly Special K Red Berries. I'm thinking of looking into Total and Kashi brands.

Hmm, interesting idea with the milk. I actually bought a water filter a few months ago and love it. It's so convenient to just walk into the kitchen and drink good water.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
If you live with Dad, you pretty much eat what he buys. After all, he's footin' the bill.

You could always get your own place and eat what you want.
I'm sorry, I may not have made my initial post clear. I do buy food for both of us occasionally, but I'd like to start buying more (and healthier) items. However, I am on a limited budget and am looking for suggestions of things that are somewhat inexpensive and healthy. I don't think it's necessary for me to move out in order to purchase food.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:56 PM

4,152 posts, read 10,051,193 times
I am not kidding, but if you have the space and the time, you could start growing a vegetable garden. It is cheaper than grocery store produce prices, for sure, more work but hey, there's satisfaction in the end!
Also look into local farmer's markets. Supermarket grocery store prices are insane.
Food bars are not healthy. Period. Save your money to buy fresh produce.
check out

http://www.localharvest.org

for fresh producers in your area. Good for you changing your habits, I'll bet you can help out dad too!

I highly recommend that if you have a few minutes you and your dad should watch this (it's a nutritional mind blower)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go_QOzc79Uc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness