U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 09:24 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,660,342 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this is plausible but is it possible that something like a spider bit you in your home (you can receive a bite without realizing at the time especially if you're sleeping) and then the walking exacerbated symptoms that you didn't notice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 11:37 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,913,059 times
I don't know much about clots - is it possible the walking created a small one that dissolved? and came back next time?

Old 02-16-2010, 05:24 AM

8,415 posts, read 36,081,315 times
Inspect your home for bedbugs. Look where you hang out and your bed. There are guides online.

If it was a knot and not a bug bite lump you may of just twisted your ankle a bit in the cold weather and not noticed it because it was cold. I would still go to the docs and have it checked out though. It could just be sidewalk salt or heat rash maybe?

Old 02-16-2010, 07:47 AM

4,502 posts, read 12,233,694 times
I don't think I was bitten by a bug or spider. The redness, etc only happens when I do a lot of walking.

I called the doc this morning but the office doesn't open until 12. I left a message with his emergency service and they called me back to let me know he said to make an appointment for today.

I'll repost after I see him to let you guys know what it is.

Thanks again for all the input. I really appreciate it.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:57 AM

18,717 posts, read 27,595,036 times
I don't know about the tenderness, but if the main problem is redness it could be something as simple as socks that are too tight. I used to have the same symptom. I'd walk for a few miles and if I was out walking for more than two hours I'd notice redness and puffiness near the ankles. It happened many times over the course of about 2 years--until I happened to buy different socks. Problem went away. I don't think it was ever serious, just a little inflammation. I'm about your age, too.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:05 PM

8,955 posts, read 18,201,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I did a lot of walking about 3 weeks ago. When I got home, I noticed some discomfort and itching on my lower left leg in the back just above the ankle. I looked in the mirror and noticed the area was bright red and when I felt it, it was warm to the touch. I felt around it and felt a tiny bump/lump... not sure what that was.

Well, today again I did a bunch of walking and the same thing happened. Discomfort, itching, bright red, warm, and a little tender. No numbness or swelling in the area or in the ankle, leg, or foot.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be??? I'm kind of scared since this never happened to me before. My docs office is closed until tomorrow afternoon so I can't even call him to ask about it.

HELP!!!!!!
What you are discribing is called a BLOOD CLOT of the lower extremity.

Do not delay a visit to the doctor 'cause the LAST thing you want have happen is for that clot to break up and move past your knees into the rest of your circulatory system !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't mean to be an alarmist but blood clots like this can turn deadly overnight.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:23 PM

UPDATE:

I went to the doctor today and he is about 99% sure it's cellulitis. The fact that it's warm to the touch (actually VERY warm) shows there's some infection there. Plus my temperature was a bit elevated.

Bing Health Article - Cellulitis (http://www.bing.com/health/article/mayo-117684/Cellulitis?q=cellulitis - broken link)

I asked him what that was and he said I could have had a tiny scratch or cut (or even a bug bite!) and an infection got under the skin. I asked why it only gets red like that after walking a lot and he said because the pants and/or sock rubbing against it could cause it to be inflamed. I showed him how the red part is almost a perfect large rectangle and he says that almost certainly points to something rubbing on it. Also the fact that I was rubbing it when I got home could have made it worse --- he says the amount of bacteria on our hands (even if we wash a lot) is unbelievable and by rubbing it, I was just mushing whatever bacteria/infection is already there.

I told him I was concerned about it being a blood clot so he gave me a referral and I'll be going for a doppler scan on my leg tomorrow and we'll have the results right away.

Right now, he has me taking some strong antibiotics and I'll be seeing him again in 2 days.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:47 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,913,059 times
Good to hear that you got in to see the doc! I'm sure you feel much better after having it looked at. Keep us updated!

Old 02-16-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Good to hear that you got in to see the doc! I'm sure you feel much better after having it looked at. Keep us updated!

Thank you

I'll definitely keep you updated. I looked at a few sites regarding cellulitis and the pics look very similar to the redness on my leg. I'm still having the doppler, though, to rule out the possibility of a clot.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:42 PM

8,955 posts, read 18,201,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Thank you

I'll definitely keep you updated. I looked at a few sites regarding cellulitis and the pics look very similar to the redness on my leg. I'm still having the doppler, though, to rule out the possibility of a clot.
Yes, DO keep us updated. I'm really glad you're taking the time to get scanned to rule out a blood clot since I''ve been down that road once and it ain't one bit of fun. No sir!

"The appearance of your skin will help your doctor make a diagnosis. Your doctor may also suggest blood tests, a wound culture or other tests to help rule out a blood clot deep in the veins of your legs. Cellulitis in the lower leg is characterized by signs and symptoms that may be similar to those of a clot occurring deep in the veins, such as warmth, pain and swelling."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness