U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 01:02 AM

3,284 posts, read 2,981,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
(unlike you Jays, I do not "have a member")
Lol, so your medical expertise alludes to the fact that I am NOT in fact pregnant. wheeew!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 10:41 AM

8 posts, read 9,801 times
cool! ill do some research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Well, in a very broad sense yes....I had multi-nodal hyperthyroid disease, and early on, I had all sorts of seemingly unrelated symptoms, but the eating binge thing is what totally freaked me out, I was worried that I was preggers, (unlike you Jays, I do not "have a member")

here's more info

Thyroid 101, Basic Information and Index to Mary Shomon's About.com Thyroid Disease Website

Old 02-17-2010, 10:59 AM

8,955 posts, read 18,222,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
I have had an unappeasable hunger for the last 2 weeks. When I say unappeasable, I mean that. There is absolutely nothing I can do which would make me feel full. I refuse to gorge myself and I will not eat fattening foods.

But I have never felt this way, ever. I'm 26, 6'1 208lbs. I have very little body fat and mostly muscle. I am not exercising anymore than normal.

Any clue as to what the **** is going on? Normally I have a very predictable dietary pattern, but this is just odd.
IMO a visit to the doctor for a blood test is in order. I had the same symptoms before I found out I had type 2 diabetes.

Here is info you can use.......

Some diabetes symptoms include:

Frequent urination
Excessive thirst
Extreme hunger
Unusual weight loss
Increased fatigue
Irritability
Blurry vision

Diabetes Symptoms - Type 1 and Type 2

Old 02-17-2010, 11:59 AM

3,258 posts, read 4,394,448 times
Are you getting enough sleep? Sleep deprivation can feel like hunger.

And are you avoiding MSG and artificial sweeteners? These can create cravings, too.

But other posters are right, also, that cravings can be the result of dietary deficiencies. A good multivitamin is the best place to start. And if you can switch from regular table salt to something like Redmond RealSalt (mined from an ancient sea bed, and full of trace minerals), that could help, too.

People in certain cultures eat dirt cookies and dirt pellets: and our nutritionist says that there are actual benefits (friends at home, do not try this...there are dangers, like parasite eggs and pollutants). But anyway, these people are probably led to such behavior by cravings for minerals they're not getting from their diets.

You might find it fun to go to whfoods (World's Healthiest Foods) website, and look at their list of the 100 healthiest foods. Going for the most nutrient-dense foods (most nutrients per calorie) is a smart idea.

And how are you doing in regards to sunlight and vitamin D? It's been a long, cold winter, and Seasonal Affective Disorder can play subtle tricks.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with eating, all day long: bodybuilders do it. Just go for the low-calorie, high-nutrient foods (I'm talking about an endless salad: Bell Peppers; Broccoli rinsed in hot water; Carrots; Tomatoes; Celery...tossed in brine, with Black Pepper and no 'dressing', with just enough oil sprayed on the vegetables, to make the nutrients bioavailable. Having an Olive oil sprayer is a great idea.

But I think Step One is making sure you're getting enough good sleep.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 02-17-2010 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-17-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Are you getting enough sleep? Sleep deprivation can feel like hunger.

And are you avoiding MSG and artificial sweeteners? These can create cravings, too.

But other posters are right, also, that cravings can be the result of dietary deficiencies. A good multivitamin is the best place to start. And if you can switch from regular table salt to something like Redmond RealSalt (mined from an ancient sea bed, and full of trace minerals), that could help, too.

People in certain cultures eat dirt cookies and dirt pellets: and our nutritionist says that there are actual benefits (friends at home, do not try this...there are dangers, like parasite eggs and pollutants). But anyway, these people are probably led to such behavior by cravings for minerals they're not getting from their diets.

You might find it fun to go to whfoods (World's Healthiest Foods) website, and look at their list of the 100 healthiest foods. Going for the most nutrient-dense foods (most nutrients per calorie) is a smart idea.

And how are you doing in regards to sunlight and vitamin D? It's been a long, cold winter, and Seasonal Affective Disorder can play subtle tricks.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with eating, all day long: bodybuilders do it. Just go for the low-calorie, high-nutrient foods (I'm talking about an endless salad: Bell Peppers; Broccoli rinsed in hot water; Carrots; Tomatoes; Celery...tossed in brine, with Black Pepper and no 'dressing', with just enough oil sprayed on the vegetables, to make the nutrients bioavailable. Having an Olive oil sprayer is a great idea.

But I think Step One is making sure you're getting enough good sleep.
The sleep has been ok. Work is stressful, but I've been sleeping plenty I think.

I'm almost thinking my hunger is stemming from a change of diet. I've always tried to eat healthy, but as of recently I have completely cut out all processed foods. If I eat fast food, it's nothing more than a basic garden salad.

Sunlight...hmm, that is a tough one. I liv ein Omaha in the winter. No sunlight here, and if there is, it's wayy to cold to soak it in. Maybe I'll hit up a tanning bed a couple times a week this month??

Old 02-17-2010, 03:55 PM

3,258 posts, read 4,394,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
The sleep has been ok. Work is stressful, but I've been sleeping plenty I think.

I'm almost thinking my hunger is stemming from a change of diet. I've always tried to eat healthy, but as of recently I have completely cut out all processed foods. If I eat fast food, it's nothing more than a basic garden salad.

Sunlight...hmm, that is a tough one. I liv ein Omaha in the winter. No sunlight here, and if there is, it's wayy to cold to soak it in. Maybe I'll hit up a tanning bed a couple times a week this month??
26, six-one, 208, mostly muscle....and has a member.... HOT DANG! And out Nebraska way, there are so many fine flavors that could fit that profile...Poles, Belgians, Czechs, Swedes, Norgegians... Oh baby!

Seriously, though: STAY AWAY FROM THE TANNING BED. You'll just ruin your skin and knock out your immune system (and when you sunbathe in the Sun, be sure you get lots of Beta Carotene, before and after...a few Carrots will do the trick) Seeing the light is what fights Seasonal Affective Disorder, and a light bank in the morning is all you need, I think. To get the Vitamin D you need, just take (reasonable amounts of) Vitamin D supplements (D3 is the currently-fashionable variant).

And honestly, if you are going to maintain a lot of muscle with low bodyfat, over a lifetime, you're going to have learn to live with a certain amount of constant hunger. My husband and I have been lifting since Freshman Year of college, and he keeps the bodyfat low. It's a thrill for me: the man feels like Silk Velvet wrapped over Iron. But hunger is his price for looking like that, and for wearing suits with a twelve-inch drop.

The more I think about it, it sounds like you're in a growth spurt of some sort. For one thing, your brain will still be developing until you're about thirty. So maybe you really do need more food. A balanced diet really is essential: but concentrate particularly on getting enough lean protein (steam or boil that Chicken!), good fats (Avocados, Avocado Oil, Walnut Oil , Almonds, Almond Oil, Real Olive Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Organic Canola...if you're not allergic, of course), dark leafy greens, and red-fleshed fruits (Grapefruit, Watermelon...and I'll count raw Red Beets here, even though they're a root).

And if you're currently not getting enough fats in your diet, your body cannot process and assimilate nutrients...so you will have cravings just from the malnutrition caused by a diet too low in fats. I can remember just getting into Health Food, in college, back before even the experts had it figured out, and eating great, healthy stuff....but basically fat-free. BIG MISTAKE. We had cravings, mood swings, foggy thinking.... And it was from the lack of fats in our diet.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
26, six-one, 208, mostly muscle....and has a member.... HOT DANG! And out Nebraska way, there are so many fine flavors that could fit that profile...Poles, Belgians, Czechs, Swedes, Norgegians... Oh baby!
Yeah, baby! I'm one hot stud.... just kidding.

Quote:
Seriously, though: STAY AWAY FROM THE TANNING BED. You'll just ruin your skin and knock out your immune system (and when you sunbathe in the Sun, be sure you get lots of Beta Carotene, before and after...a few Carrots will do the trick) Seeing the light is what fights Seasonal Affective Disorder, and a light bank in the morning is all you need, I think. To get the Vitamin D you need, just take (reasonable amounts of) Vitamin D supplements (D3 is the currently-fashionable variant).

And honestly, if you are going to maintain a lot of muscle with low bodyfat, over a lifetime, you're going to have learn to live with a certain amount of constant hunger. My husband and I have been lifting since Freshman Year of college, and he keeps the bodyfat low. It's a thrill for me: the man feels like Silk Velvet wrapped over Iron. But hunger is his price for looking like that, and for wearing suits with a twelve-inch drop.

The more I think about it, it sounds like you're in a growth spurt of some sort. For one thing, your brain will still be developing until you're about thirty. So maybe you really do need more food. A balanced diet really is essential: but concentrate particularly on getting enough lean protein (steam or boil that Chicken!), good fats (Avocados, Avocado Oil, Walnut Oil , Almonds, Almond Oil, Real Olive Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Organic Canola...if you're not allergic, of course), dark leafy greens, and red-fleshed fruits (Grapefruit, Watermelon...and I'll count raw Red Beets here, even though they're a root).

And if you're currently not getting enough fats in your diet, your body cannot process and assimilate nutrients...so you will have cravings just from the malnutrition caused by a diet too low in fats. I can remember just getting into Health Food, in college, back before even the experts had it figured out, and eating great, healthy stuff....but basically fat-free. BIG MISTAKE. We had cravings, mood swings, foggy thinking.... And it was from the lack of fats in our diet.
Yes, I will stear clear of the tanning bed. Thanks for all the info. I'm just now getting into healthy eating, too. Before I would stick the the obvious choices, but I think I will commit myself to actually learn it.

I have also noticed foggy thinking and mood swings during diet changes.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:48 AM

3,441 posts, read 3,502,019 times
I was looking at ulcers today on the internet and one of the symptoms is hunger feelings and you can get 'silent ulcers' too that are not painful. Just thought I would mention it as another thing to consider.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I was looking at ulcers today on the internet and one of the symptoms is hunger feelings and you can get 'silent ulcers' too that are not painful. Just thought I would mention it as another thing to consider.
I honestly think it was just my change in diet. Basically cutting out all carbs and fat.

After a week or so of hunger, the last couple days I've been feeling back to normal. I appreciate the resposes, however, you seem to be a knowledgeable bunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness