U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 03:32 PM

2,660 posts, read 6,153,842 times

Advertisements

Well this thread went in a weird direction quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 04:05 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,669,483 times
I've been exposed to many vegans (and raw food folks) who are often (not always and i don't know about the o.p.) extremely judgmental, self-righteous, dogmatic, rigid, etc., etc..
And yet they think of themselves as non-violent people simply because they don't eat meat.
All i've been saying (or trying to say) is that violence doesn't have to be overt and that eating very pure foods is wonderful but that it alone is not what creates a "pure" system.
I'm basically a vegetarian but i'm not rigid, not dogmatic, i eat meat if my body calls for it (which is very infrequently) and i don't feel that it's up to me to dictate to other people what they should be eating.
It's my personal feeling that people would be far healthier if they did not eat meat habitually and that the earth would benefit and lastly, but most importantly to me, animals wouldn't be submitted to the suffering that the industry inflicts upon them.
But to go after people with self righteousness and judgment does not help wake people up ... it creates resistance, it tends to turn people off and turn them away.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:44 AM

260 posts, read 509,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
I know my system well and i know the difference between a need of the body and a craving.
Do not presume.
And until you shed any and all judgment (and arrogance and dogmatism) and purify your ego sufficiently, you're not truly serving.
And a "clean" system involves much more than what one eats or doesn't eat.
The reason i asked you whether or not you have a totally loving and peaceful heart and wish no ill will toward anyone (even the most heinous among us) is that until you have reached that level of consciousness ... of being ... you're not really in a position to insist that others refrain from cruelty and harm.
call it what you will but for me, it has nothing to do with ego, arrogance or dogmatism, but it is all about the needless suffering of other animals. one does not have to be perfect to know that certain things are wrong and slaughtering other sentient beings for a person's own self gratification is wrong. and again, the human body does not require meat to survive so any so called "need" for flesh is not a biological one.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:59 AM

260 posts, read 509,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
I've been exposed to many vegans (and raw food folks) who are often (not always and i don't know about the o.p.) extremely judgmental, self-righteous, dogmatic, rigid, etc., etc..
And yet they think of themselves as non-violent people simply because they don't eat meat.
All i've been saying (or trying to say) is that violence doesn't have to be overt and that eating very pure foods is wonderful but that it alone is not what creates a "pure" system.
I'm basically a vegetarian but i'm not rigid, not dogmatic, i eat meat if my body calls for it (which is very infrequently) and i don't feel that it's up to me to dictate to other people what they should be eating.
It's my personal feeling that people would be far healthier if they did not eat meat habitually and that the earth would benefit and lastly, but most importantly to me, animals wouldn't be submitted to the suffering that the industry inflicts upon them.
But to go after people with self righteousness and judgment does not help wake people up ... it creates resistance, it tends to turn people off and turn them away.
"Violence begins with a fork." - Ghandi

Old 02-19-2010, 07:02 AM

2,024 posts, read 3,054,595 times
If everyone became a vegan what would happen to all the animals that are now raised for meat? One example is sheep. If not killed for meat they starve to death because when they get old their teeth rot and they can't eat. Vegans don't drink cow's milk, no need for cows anymore is there? NO eggs. Chickens are then useless. Deer starve to death if the herds are not thinned out.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:13 AM

2,903 posts, read 11,669,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg420 View Post
"Violence begins with a fork." - Ghandi
If you had the opportunity to speak with Ghandi, i am fairly certain that he would understand what i am saying and acknowledge the truth of it.
Until you are free of your own inner violence ... the hatred and ill will and judgment, etc. that you hold toward others, you are in no position to be "preaching" about non-violence and, if i'm reading sub-text accurately and "feeling you", you're not sufficiently liberated from your own more subtler manifestations of violence.
So it's great that you don't eat animals but check yourself.
I'm done.
Peace out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or