U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-17-2010, 07:01 AM
 
260 posts, read 509,083 times
Reputation: 229

Advertisements

and why a vegan diet is the most important factor a person can control in order to improve one's health and well being:

Forks Over Knives – The Official Movie Website

Last edited by mg420; 02-17-2010 at 07:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-18-2010, 12:49 PM
 
Location: NYC
7,369 posts, read 13,107,739 times
Reputation: 10337
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg420 View Post
and why a vegan diet is the most important factor a person can control in order to improve one's health and well being:

Forks Over Knives – The Official Movie Website
Ridiculous nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2010, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
2,903 posts, read 11,663,604 times
Reputation: 1821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
Ridiculous nonsense.
Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.
It's obvious that processed food is junk and that far to many people eat far too much meat and aren't fairing well because of it.
That said, a vegan diet is not for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2010, 01:46 PM
 
260 posts, read 509,083 times
Reputation: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
Ridiculous nonsense.

“The beef industry has contributed to more American deaths than all the wars of this century, all natural disasters, and all automobile accidents combined. If beef is your idea of "real food for real people" you'd better live real close to a real good hospital.”—Neal Barnard, M.D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2010, 01:48 PM
 
260 posts, read 509,083 times
Reputation: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.
It's obvious that processed food is junk and that far to many people eat far too much meat and aren't fairing well because of it.
That said, a vegan diet is not for everyone.
thanks but i disagree.

“A man can live and be healthy without killing animals for food; therefore, if he eats meat, he participates in taking animal life merely for the sake of his appetite.”—Count Leo Tolstoy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2010, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
2,903 posts, read 11,663,604 times
Reputation: 1821
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg420 View Post
thanks but i disagree.

“A man can live and be healthy without killing animals for food; therefore, if he eats meat, he participates in taking animal life merely for the sake of his appetite.”—Count Leo Tolstoy
I'm not sure what you're thanking me for.
I don't eat meat unless my body asks for it which is rare but when it does, i oblige.
Any kind of dogmatism is problematic and when people insist that they know what is best for others, it's odious.
I'd prefer it if people didn't eat meat and i'd prefer it if my body never asked for it.
I'd also prefer it if people transcended the food chain mentality which goes beyond abstaining from eating animals.
p.s. Your font is so small it's difficult to read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2010, 02:19 PM
 
260 posts, read 509,083 times
Reputation: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
I'm not sure what you're thanking me for.
I don't eat meat unless my body asks for it which is rare but when it does, i oblige.
Any kind of dogmatism is problematic and when people insist that they know what is best for others, it's odious.
I'd prefer it if people didn't eat meat and i'd prefer it if my body never asked for it.
I'd also prefer it if people transcended the food chain mentality which goes beyond abstaining from eating animals.
p.s. Your font is so small it's difficult to read.
so you are excluding animals other than humans from this conclusion? no human "needs" to consume animals or animal products to flourish and in most if not all cases it is actually counter productive to do so. i try to live by this myself:

“The basis of all animal rights should be the Golden Rule: we should treat them as we would wish them to treat us, were any other species in our dominant position.”—Christine Stevens

the font thing must be a browser issue as the fonts on my screen are all the same size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2010, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
2,903 posts, read 11,663,604 times
Reputation: 1821
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg420 View Post
so you are excluding animals other than humans from this conclusion? no human "needs" to consume animals or animal products to flourish and in most if not all cases it is actually counter productive to do so. i try to live by this myself:

“The basis of all animal rights should be the Golden Rule: we should treat them as we would wish them to treat us, were any other species in our dominant position.”—Christine Stevens

the font thing must be a browser issue as the fonts on my screen are all the same size.
Like i said, i wish that people would not eat meat and more because of my love for animals (and the earth) than my concern for humans ... actually.
And i wish that my body never, ever needed meat.
Do you have a totally peaceful and loving heart with no ill will toward anyone (even the most heinous among us)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2010, 02:50 PM
 
260 posts, read 509,083 times
Reputation: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Like i said, i wish that people would not eat meat and more because of my love for animals (and the earth) than my concern for humans ... actually.
And i wish that my body never, ever needed meat.
Do you have a totally peaceful and loving heart with no ill will toward anyone (even the most heinous among us)?
your body does not need meat-it is your appetite that craves it. of course no one can claim to be perfect but can only strive to be as cruelty free as possible. not consuming animal products is by far the biggest factor in leading a cruelty free life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2010, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
2,903 posts, read 11,663,604 times
Reputation: 1821
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg420 View Post
your body does not need meat-it is your appetite that craves it. of course no one can claim to be perfect but can only strive to be as cruelty free as possible. not consuming animal products is by far the biggest factor in leading a cruelty free life.
I know my system well and i know the difference between a need of the body and a craving.
Do not presume.
And until you shed any and all judgment (and arrogance and dogmatism) and purify your ego sufficiently, you're not truly serving.
And a "clean" system involves much more than what one eats or doesn't eat.
The reason i asked you whether or not you have a totally loving and peaceful heart and wish no ill will toward anyone (even the most heinous among us) is that until you have reached that level of consciousness ... of being ... you're not really in a position to insist that others refrain from cruelty and harm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top