Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2010, 07:35 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times

Advertisements

Didn't know whether to put this in "beauty" or here, but since I don't consider shaving party of "beauty", personally, then I figured I'd put it here.

I have a pretty mean neck shave. I actually let my neck hair grow out to see the grain and off to the sides, it grows inward toward the Adam's apple, then it sort of "flows" downward. When I look at old photographs of myself prior to being put on Minocycline for my rosacea, I liken my old, red, irritated face to how my neck sort of feels now. Whenever I shave, it gets worse of course. If I let it go, it itches and I don't want a beard.

Any other men deal with this too? Any suggestions? I heard there's some good electric razors with circular heads that have oil or something as you go along, though I want something that will be easy on my skin because as God would have it, my skin is as sensitive as a woman's. Note that I have no problem with my current shaving method on the face itself, just the neck, but then again, I don't have a crazy grain on my face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 07:58 PM

502 posts, read 1,251,830 times
Replace your razor blade frequently (after 3-4 shaves) and use a topical exfoliating solution such as Tend Skin. Sephora: Tend Skin Tend Skin® Refillable Roll On: Bath & Body My husband uses it on his face/neck and no longer has any "bumps" or razor burn. I use it on my "intimate" areas after waxing to prevent ingrown hairs. Works like magic! Though it will sting a bit after the first few applications.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:03 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
What razor are you using? I can't use anything but gillette. Cheap ones...forget about it. My friend gets more irritated with using electrics on his neck, but it can go the other way for some people too.

Do you:
- wet the skin with warm water
- rub an oil on pre-shave to soften skin & bristle
- shave in the direction of growth when red. Only go back against the grain if you are not red
- follow up with a calming shave balm (aloe gel is cheap as anything and really great for this)

I would only exfoliate after the redness is down. If your skin is just chappy it can make it worse. You won't need to exfoliate more than 1x week. (should be done over entire face & neck) The aloe gel will help get rid of the redness, bumps and itch too. The one we use at this house is Jason brand. It just smells clean and comes in a nice pump bottle (pumps are cleaner than flip caps etc)

p.s. a cheap shave oil is plain old olive oil
And to save money on your razors and keep them sharp clean the blade with hot water from the front and blast it from the underside of the razor. Then dry and coat mineral oil after each use. I do this with a bloop on a cotton ball. You can get so many more uses than 3-4 if you do this. Even with the toss aways!
I bought a product called "razor saver" or something and the main ing was mineral oil. Strait mineral oil works just as well and its much cheaper.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:11 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Didn't know whether to put this in "beauty" or here, but since I don't consider shaving party of "beauty", personally, then I figured I'd put it here.

I have a pretty mean neck shave. I actually let my neck hair grow out to see the grain and off to the sides, it grows inward toward the Adam's apple, then it sort of "flows" downward. When I look at old photographs of myself prior to being put on Minocycline for my rosacea, I liken my old, red, irritated face to how my neck sort of feels now. Whenever I shave, it gets worse of course. If I let it go, it itches and I don't want a beard.

Any other men deal with this too? Any suggestions? I heard there's some good electric razors with circular heads that have oil or something as you go along, though I want something that will be easy on my skin because as God would have it, my skin is as sensitive as a woman's. Note that I have no problem with my current shaving method on the face itself, just the neck, but then again, I don't have a crazy grain on my face.
Believe it or not the best razor for your neck is a good ol' fashioned straight razor kept hair splitting sharp. These razors (the really great makes) are hard to find but if you do treasure it and keep it sharp.

A straight razor will peel off your whiskers like with the lightest touch so smooth and easy once you learn how to use it right which isn't that hard really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness