U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 07:00 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,365,125 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been diagnosed with this learning disability? (or has a child that has?) If so, could you give me your experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 09:50 AM

37 posts, read 58,241 times
My wife has. What specific questions do you have?

Old 02-19-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd9299292 View Post
My wife has. What specific questions do you have?
Great!! Where was she diagnosed? Was she diagnosed as an adult? What differences (if any) did it make with her education?

Old 02-21-2010, 07:45 AM

11 posts, read 49,216 times
My 12 year old daughter was diagnosed with it by her school and now when she takes a tests there is a teacher right on hand for her to ask if she is seeing the numbers right. EX. 89+75= she asks them is she seeing them in the right order or not. And this has made a major difference!also I have used the hooked on phonics/math portion with her and that really got her going.This condition never goes away but They can 'retrain'thier brains to a certain extent. also I have found that if she eats chocolate or drinks caffiene right before homework or having a test it messes with her cause she is 'jumpy' and cant concentrate as well. Anyone with it just has to SLOW DOWN AND TAKE THIER TIME doing anything with numbers.My other daughter is dyslexic in reading and the hooked on phonics reading program worked great on her to! Tell your wife I wish her good counting and I know exactly what she is going through! All she can do is slllllooooowwwww down and take her time and check herself and recheck and recheck and recheck and recheck...... well she understands. lol

Old 02-21-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissia123 View Post
My 12 year old daughter was diagnosed with it by her school and now when she takes a tests there is a teacher right on hand for her to ask if she is seeing the numbers right. EX. 89+75= she asks them is she seeing them in the right order or not. And this has made a major difference!also I have used the hooked on phonics/math portion with her and that really got her going.This condition never goes away but They can 'retrain'thier brains to a certain extent. also I have found that if she eats chocolate or drinks caffiene right before homework or having a test it messes with her cause she is 'jumpy' and cant concentrate as well. Anyone with it just has to SLOW DOWN AND TAKE THIER TIME doing anything with numbers.My other daughter is dyslexic in reading and the hooked on phonics reading program worked great on her to! Tell your wife I wish her good counting and I know exactly what she is going through! All she can do is slllllooooowwwww down and take her time and check herself and recheck and recheck and recheck and recheck...... well she understands. lol

Thank you. I think that I have this condition. I was never diagnosed because there were no such things back in the day when I was in school (60's & 70's). However, I fit the profile exactly. This has come to my attention recently as I am now back in school and have to take some math classes to graduate.

I am hoping that CPCC will have the ability to test me and properly diagnose me. Just knowing this exists is a great relief for me!

Old 02-22-2010, 08:10 AM

37 posts, read 58,241 times
Here's what my wife said... not sure how helpful it is to you:

I was diagnosed in my assessments class (we did practice assmt and I met criteria) so it wasn't formal. I opted NOT to go through the formal battery b/c the accommodations you can get on the college level are so minimal (at best). Typically the argument is made that if u made it this far why do u need mods now? The only real difference made is internal-i have a problem but it has a name and more importantly doesn't mean I'm dumb. My IQ is well above average which also makes it highly unlikely I would get mods. In CMS you CANNOT be qualified as "academically gifted" and "SLD" b/c technically you're not disabled-you're just "average" in Math.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd9299292 View Post
Here's what my wife said... not sure how helpful it is to you:

I was diagnosed in my assessments class (we did practice assmt and I met criteria) so it wasn't formal. I opted NOT to go through the formal battery b/c the accommodations you can get on the college level are so minimal (at best). Typically the argument is made that if u made it this far why do u need mods now? The only real difference made is internal-i have a problem but it has a name and more importantly doesn't mean I'm dumb. My IQ is well above average which also makes it highly unlikely I would get mods. In CMS you CANNOT be qualified as "academically gifted" and "SLD" b/c technically you're not disabled-you're just "average" in Math.
thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or