U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2010, 03:15 AM

28,657 posts, read 48,772,286 times

Advertisements

What does hospitals do to make sure a person is dead before giving the body over to a funeral home? My fear would be begin buried alive.

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 01:06 AM

621 posts, read 2,970,382 times
Well I know at my hospital an MD comes and pronounces, by listening to the heart. Then the pt is sent to the hospital morgue and then the funeral home comes and picks them up. There is usually quite a while between a pt's death and them arriving at the funeral home, plus the time the pt would spend at the funeral home before being buried, so I don't think you have to worry about being buried alive .

Old 02-22-2010, 01:25 AM

9,912 posts, read 12,694,678 times
Well the last time the hospital rang to announce a loved one was dead I didn't believe them so I went up there in the middle of the night myself to make sure before allowing the undertaker to come and take them to the funeral parlour.

I'm pretty sure my family will do the same for me when it's my turn.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:02 AM

1,688 posts, read 3,876,447 times
Hey John1960, what's up?
In the last post on the subject concerning being buried alive I was going to tell you that Edgar Allan Poe has a few short stories that are great reading on the phenomenon. I also found some interesting reading on the coffins designed with a breakable glass top (just in case the person could break their way out).
Anyway, in the hospitals it's the doc that has to make the call because they are the ones signing the death certificate. They have their criteria to answer as far as beating heart and no vital signs/cause of death etc...
Dare I say that there have been many instances when the doc isn't present or is unavailable and it has to be done over the phone (weekends/holidays).
But, rest assured that every respect is paid to the deceased and every R.N. should know how to shroud and prep a person for transport to the morgue. The goal is to have them transported to the morgue ASAP. Of course the family is usually there to make sure all goes well with their loved one.
Don't worry, these days in America in the larger hospitals staff is not going to declare you deceased unless you truly are.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:03 AM

28,657 posts, read 48,772,286 times
You know after posting the thread 'Dead' Woman Moves Arm At Funeral Home made me wonder about how hospitals check to make sure people are really dead. I've told my family in a joking way to bury me with my cellphone.

News, 'Dead' Woman Moves Arm At Funeral Home - Irresistible News Story - KCRA Sacramento (http://www.kcra.com/irresistible/22591864/detail.html - broken link)

Old 02-22-2010, 10:01 AM

33,089 posts, read 61,955,633 times
I'm going to include in my living will that medical personnel repeatedly play "Big Shot" by Billy Joel. If I don't wake up screaming "Turn that #$%*$&@!!! off!" after the third or fourth loop, then I am not only merely dead, I am really and most sincerely dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness