Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 11:02 PM

648 posts, read 1,174,357 times

Advertisements

Eggs are one of the best foods you can eat... and all I know is that many generations of people throughout history (as in, millions...) have eaten eggs frequently their entire lives (and yes, cooked).. and lived to be a ripe old age, into their 90's, up to 100 and beyond. I don't pay much attention anymore to what is written about food. I'm so sick of the hype, the anti-hype, the claims, the counter-claims, the scare tactics... everything is black & white and then totally contradictory. And everyone's 'studies' are crap! It's all biased lies from people and corporations who want to sell stuff or push some kind of agenda... or just spread dramatic rumors. I just try to keep it simple, use what makes sense, and beyond that, trust my gut.

Anyway.. yes eggs are one of nature's perfect foods, and I would not worry about this.. just get enough (sensible) exercise, and don't eat a lot of other junk.. and be sure to buy eggs that come from happy chickens that get plenty of fresh air, sunlight, and get to eat real food themselves.....! and unless you have a serious genetic issue with cholesterol, you'll be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 12:17 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,317,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opalminor View Post
Eggs are one of the best foods you can eat... and all I know is that many generations of people throughout history (as in, millions...) have eaten eggs frequently their entire lives (and yes, cooked).. and lived to be a ripe old age, into their 90's, up to 100 and beyond. I don't pay much attention anymore to what is written about food. I'm so sick of the hype, the anti-hype, the claims, the counter-claims, the scare tactics... everything is black & white and then totally contradictory. And everyone's 'studies' are crap! It's all biased lies from people and corporations who want to sell stuff or push some kind of agenda... or just spread dramatic rumors. I just try to keep it simple, use what makes sense, and beyond that, trust my gut.

Anyway.. yes eggs are one of nature's perfect foods, and I would not worry about this.. just get enough (sensible) exercise, and don't eat a lot of other junk.. and be sure to buy eggs that come from happy chickens that get plenty of fresh air, sunlight, and get to eat real food themselves.....! and unless you have a serious genetic issue with cholesterol, you'll be fine.
But, you should eat the shells, too!

Just saying . . .

Excellent source of calcium, without all the lead!

Old 02-24-2010, 07:50 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,345 times
My uncle had some hens that laid double yolk eggs. Those were good eating.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:15 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,912,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opalminor View Post

I think you're right opal. Sound, common-sense advice. I'm gonna just go for it. Eat 2-3 eggs a day soft-fried with yolks barely warmed. Makes my mouth water just typing it.

Speaking of idiotic controversies check out this debate on how differences between cage free and free range can affect the quality of the egg.

Happy eggs: "free range," "cage free," "organic"—what's the story? - Eating Right | E: The Environmental Magazine | Find Articles at BNET

Old 02-24-2010, 10:35 PM

668 posts, read 2,186,641 times
WOW!! I sure am glad that they have those Anti-Cholesteral pills, so that I can eat egg yokes without the worry of my arteries clogging up (Especially me, with a heart condition already!!).

If you were so worried about cholesteral, you wouldnt eat red meat and a whole host of other things, simply because the cooking factor alters this or that to make the cholesteral unhealthy for you again!

Sorry, but, I just cant begin to be a rabbit at this stage of my life, because I love eggs and love meat and all that stuff thats going to kill me eventually, and like they say, "who wants to live forever anyways?" Certainly not me, in this life time...maybe in the after life

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 02-26-2010, 01:34 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,713,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
You've heard the controversy: are egg yolks good or bad for you? Well, both. It's such a confusing mess, but here's how I have best deciphered it: animal cholesterol is perfectly healthy and not harmful to the human body. If fact it it one of the most important nutrients you can eat BUT you must eat the damn yolks raw in order to get the full benefits of the cholesterol in them. Cooking yolks oxidizes the cholesterol into oxy-cholesterols and oxys are bad for your arteries. So when you read on numerous alternative websites: go ahead eat all the egg yolks you want--they're good for you, these websites fail to take into account the fact that 99.99% of us are going to cook them, thus oxidizing the cholesterol. I mean who wants to gulp down a half-dozen raw egg yolks like Rocky did? Yuck! I love 'em cooked, but even mild cooking can start the oxidization process (anything above 110F according to the literature) So what's a yolk-lover to do?

More info:

Scandalous Lies About Cholesterol

I hated my Dad for making me and brother drink raw eggs every morning back in my teens. Didn't really hate him, but the eggs sucked.

And I played field hockey for several years and could beat 10 other boys up on an average evening LMAO, this explains why I was so hyper

These days I eat 3 eggs a day and I cook them with chili powder and salt, the grand Indian way. Nothing on earth tastes better, except if my mom's cooking.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:38 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,912,151 times
Well, here's the latest in my saga with the sac: the yolks cause terrible rumblings and worse, putrid sulfurous flatulence that spews forth about every five minutes, making the whole room smell like a sewer. Needless to say my wife has barred the door to our bedroom until I stop indulging and all my friends refuse to get within 20 feet of me-------in an OUTDOOR area! So my short, bittersweet return to the culinary love of my youth has been thwarted yet again. Some loves are just not meant to be.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:22 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,688,729 times
Prior to 1900 there was no heart disease, and yes, they did autopsies back then too. The interesting thing about diet back then was what we call good food today was scarce. One of the favorites foods among the working class was lard sandwiches. People living in a rural setting almost always raised chickens for eggs and eggs were the mainstay of their diets.

If you listen to enough of these medical reports over a long period of time you will quickly learn that they all have something in common and that is contradiction. Eating foods provided to us by nature is perfectly healthy. However, even the most healthy food can be unhealthy if you eat it to excess.

If you can try to find "pasture eggs" because there are some eggs labeled "free range" but that doesn't necessarily mean the chickens "free to hunt and peck."

Old 02-28-2010, 08:33 PM

746 posts, read 3,499,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
I get my eggs from chickens running around eating anything they can find.

The yolks are orange from all the beta carotene.

I don't eat pale yolks.
I'm with you. And I will add that free range chickens also have sturdier shells which shows it came from a healthier chicken. My egg yolks are just deep yellow, once in a while with a tinge of orange. I think it depends on the kind of stuff the chicken finds foraging around the farmyard.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:00 AM

768 posts, read 942,432 times
It's funny to watch how our love of food is so strong that we'll all completely bypass the very real and serious question at hand in search for egg yolk justification. It's "natural." It's "loaded with vitamins!" All true, all irrelevant.

Over the span of a lifetime, keeping oxy-cholesterol levels elevated appears to be pretty dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness