U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 10:04 AM

703 posts, read 2,679,756 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been TTC since last August when she went off of Tri-Cyclen-Lo (after 3 yrs on it). Nothing, not even a natural period for months. At the end of December, she got onto Provera to chemically induce a menstruation and took 50mg Clomid during Day 3-7 (starting on Jan 7). Anyway, did not seem like it worked since OPK during the targeted ovulation range detected nothing. Did not go back onto Provera nor clomid since then yet. Skip ahead a bit, she just got a positive pregnancy result this past Saturday (2/20), but it was a very faint blue line that appeared almost immediately (was a generic Target-brand early detection pregnancy kit). Retook the test (same brand/same box) this morning (2/22) and it was negative. . .NOTHING! Has this happened to others? What should we do next?

According to my wife, within the last 2 weeks, her appetite has increased (more hunger) even though her diet has remained the same, some slight weight gain, breasts feel heavier, fuller, and bigger, nipples more sensitive. Also having more gas issues. She said it's not mental, all physical.

Some google search suggest a chemical pregnancy (early miscarriage), others suggest false-negative. Thoughts from real life experiences? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 10:46 AM

1,034 posts, read 3,967,141 times
I would definitely retest on a reputable brand like EPT. This can definitely make the difference. My doc says simply, "you get what you pay for." The symptoms you noted her having can be caused by a few different things including pregnancy, the strong desire for pregnancy, or PMS. The very early pregnancy symptoms can include vag. discharge, sore breasts, darkening of the areolas, bloating, gas, and urinary frequency. If the next test is still unclear, she should check in with her doc. Best of luck. I'm TTC too!

Old 02-22-2010, 10:51 AM

3,422 posts, read 9,894,130 times
I suggest retesting a few times. I had this happen and whether I was briefly pregnant or not who knows...The dr's office did 3 tests (positive, neg, pos) before finally ordering a HCG quant blood test that got done 4 days later and was neg.

The NP told me if I was really curious and anxious, to get a good one at the drugstore, b/c she had a positive result with a drugstore test on herself before the ones in the office showed her as positive.

I second the suggestion to go buy a good sensitive one at the store and retest.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:47 AM

8,415 posts, read 36,074,711 times
If you don't naturally have the hormones to start your period you may not have the hormones to support a fetus yet. Many women will dump a pregnancy before they even know they were pregnant.

You maybe not worry about trying right now. You may want to wait to have three normal cycles.

How long should I wait to get pregnant after going off the pill?

"It was once believed that once you stopped taking the pill you should wait two to three menstrual cycles before getting pregnant. Doctors once believed that if you got pregnant right away that there was a higher chance of miscarriage, though this has not been found to be the case. "

^^^ That is the old fashioned way but it seems to be your case maybe.

That article states also that it can take up to a year for healthy people to get preggers.

More reading:
http://pregnancy.about.com/od/pregna...chemicalpg.htm

Old 02-22-2010, 08:26 PM

16,482 posts, read 21,687,818 times
Her doctor can order a very sensitive blood test and tell you for sure.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:33 PM

2,838 posts, read 9,190,953 times
First, she should see her doctor for an accurate pregnancy test.

Next, assuming she's not pregnant, she needs to start charting her cycles. This will tell her if and when she's ovulating, and she won't have to go through this uncertainty again. If you have 18 high temperatures past ovulation, then you're pregnant. If she's not ovulating after being off the pill for 6 months, then seeing a reproductive endocrinologist might be warranted, though it took me 16 months to begin ovulating again after going off of birth control.

I recommend Amazon.com: Taking Charge of Your Fertility, 10th Anniversary Edition: The Definitive Guide to Natural Birth Control, Pregnancy Achievement, and Reproductive Health (9780060881900): Toni Weschler: Books for more information. Roman Catholic churches also sometimes have classes on Natural Family Planning, which contain the information that you need. (NFP is often used for birth control, but it can also be used for pregnancy achievement... it's just a matter of having the knowledge of fertile times, then whether you abstain or have sex during those times is the "family planning" part of it. )

Good luck!

Old 02-23-2010, 11:24 AM

703 posts, read 2,679,756 times
My wife just started to "bleed" last night though not a lot yet (but she said it was bright red at the time). She said it does not feel like a period yet, and the tampon that she left in overnight had very little blood on it (almost like brown spottings).

Anyway, she took one of those pink box (can't remember the name, but it's a name brand not generic) test this morning, i.e. 3 days after the initial positive test and it was negative.

She's so confused and stressed now. . .

Old 02-23-2010, 03:50 PM

3,422 posts, read 9,894,130 times
Well the only way to know for sure for sure, is a quantitative (not qualitative) HCG test, which measures the amount of HCG if any. When I had the series of ambiguous tests, that is what was ordered, and they wanted it STAT (I was there for an IUD and they did not want to take any chances) but the lab ended up doing a qualitative HCG and then closed for a long weekend. By the time I came back the following week, the proper blood test was negative.

She should talk to her doctor/NP/CNM about what has happened (even if she ends up getting her period this month). If this becomes a recurring pattern, even after a reasonable amount of time after which fertility should have returned, then they may want to do some further work.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:28 PM

8,415 posts, read 36,074,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofan View Post
My wife just started to "bleed" last night though not a lot yet (but she said it was bright red at the time). She said it does not feel like a period yet, and the tampon that she left in overnight had very little blood on it (almost like brown spottings).

Anyway, she took one of those pink box (can't remember the name, but it's a name brand not generic) test this morning, i.e. 3 days after the initial positive test and it was negative.

She's so confused and stressed now. . .
Spotting can happen but it may just be her natural hormones are not ready. A lot of friends got downright ill after coming off hormonal BC. Just give it time! It has not even been a year yet. Stop stressing. These things take time.
But to stress can affect fertility so just relax.
Stress

And maybe treat her to a spa visit or something she likes to get her to relax a bit too.

In 6 months if you are still having issues talk to your doctor about detoxing with chelated vitamins or raw food. I would see a nutritionist now to see if there are any dietary improvements you could make together to boost your chances.

Tell her to stop using tampons and switch to pads so she can actually see the amount of fluid better and its one less toxic thing going into the body.
(good for baby and her)

Old 02-24-2010, 10:14 PM

5,893 posts, read 11,621,469 times
Several years ago I had ever symptom of pregnancy and tested both negative and positive multiple times. Pain in an ovary drove me to the doctor. It turned out that I had an ectopic pregnancy (in the fallopian tubes, not the uterus) plus an ovarian cyst. When I found this out, I had already started bleeding internally and ended up having emergency surgery that same night. I'd definitely see a doctor for further testing, just to be on the safe side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness