U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2010, 09:06 PM

39 posts, read 132,949 times

Advertisements

SO basically, I'm wondering if I'm clinically depressed, but I don't really know what to do about it. I first of all don't even know who I'd need to see to get it checked out, and secondly, I don't even want to get it checked out because I bet that it would be embarrassing for my parents. So anyone know what they would do? Also, what are the symptoms of clinical depression, because I want to make sure that I'm not overblowing this whole thing either. I don't feel suicidal, like end my life or anything like that, but I definitely feel like anything I do is pointless and like I should be better and am overall unhappy with myself and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. So yeah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 09:09 PM

3,261 posts, read 4,774,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta_male View Post
SO basically, I'm wondering if I'm clinically depressed, but I don't really know what to do about it. I first of all don't even know who I'd need to see to get it checked out, and secondly, I don't even want to get it checked out because I bet that it would be embarrassing for my parents. So anyone know what they would do? Also, what are the symptoms of clinical depression, because I want to make sure that I'm not overblowing this whole thing either. I don't feel suicidal, like end my life or anything like that, but I definitely feel like anything I do is pointless and like I should be better and am overall unhappy with myself and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. So yeah.

How old are you and are you in school?

I ask because you mention your parents being embarrassed. If you are in school, speak to your guidance counselor, school psychologist or student support services.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:54 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,906,987 times
You would see a psychologist. They may refer you to a psychiatrist for medication or your family doctor may prescribe for you. Life can be a lot better so I hope you get help!

Old 02-23-2010, 01:07 PM

19,215 posts, read 13,402,411 times
Take some S- adenysl methionine and pull yourself together.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:12 AM

317 posts, read 1,632,433 times
I think telling your parents would be a good place to start. Do not worry that they would feel embarrassed. Depression is a medical problem, and needs attention just like any other physical problem. If you do not feel comfortable talking to them, maybe a school counselor, coach, teacher, or another family member like grandparent or aunt/uncle.
I have teenagers, and would hope they would come to me or someone they trust to talk about how they are feeling. Its good you are here talking- take the next step and let someone close to you know how you are feeling. Let the counselors, etc. worry if you are clinically depressed or not- those are just labels anyway. What's most important is that you get the support you need so you be enjoying your life to its fullest! I wish you the best. =)

Old 02-24-2010, 10:42 PM

2,106 posts, read 2,762,075 times
I would talk to your primary MD and maybe he/she can refer to you a proper counselor. Have you been feeling this way for 6 months or more??? That isn't good and you may need the help of a doctor and possibly medication to get those neurotransmitters to work properly again in your brain. When we endore hurt, pain, anxiety for long periods of time without treatment the issue that is not dealt with escalates into something more serious.

Just know you are not alone in this battle. Please seek medical advice and if you are prescribed something research it carefully and mention all medications you are taking to the MD so that there will not be bad interactions. I will pray for you and wish you well!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness