U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2010, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 9,366 times

Advertisements

3 weeks ago my mom who has alzheimers grabbed my middle finger and pulled with all her strengh and bent my hand/wrist backwards. On Feb 5 I went to the GP as I was having severe pain and swelling. They took x rays and saw nothing on the films. They put me in a splint that is typically used for carpel tunnel. I was also iceing and taking taking 800 mg of motrin 2x a day for a week and saw no relief. So i was referred to the othopedics and had that appt ment yesterday and he re ran xrays and saw nothing and said it was just a sprain that would take another 3-4 weeks to heal. I am still having quite a bit of pain in hand and wrist and pain is sometimes shooting up my arm to right below ellbow, there is still quite a bit of swelling and looking blue/purplish above my ring and finger before middle finger. When i go to bend my middle it hurts whenever i bend it and it quite painful when i bend it.

Could i have a hairline fracture or is it simple a sprain like the dr said. I am still wearing the brace for another 3 weeks till I see the dr again.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 06:53 PM

4,152 posts, read 10,039,995 times
I have had hairline fractures on my fingers and leg before. Yes, they do hurt, but frankly I have also had a couple of really bad sprains, and they hurt even more. i kid you not.
Sounds like you've had a number of X-rays and usually they can see a hairline fracture in them, so I would treat it as a sprain. They are definitely more painful and take much much longer to heal.
Sorry to hear about your injury and your mom.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:21 PM

1,688 posts, read 3,873,895 times
MRI's pick up what the x-rays can't.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:04 AM

177 posts, read 634,137 times
Xrays picked up the hairline fractures in my radius when I broke my wrist snowboarding. I was told I should be glad it was a bone fracture too bc muscle/tendon injuries are more painful and take longer to heal.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:10 PM

1,688 posts, read 3,873,895 times
I lived with a hairline Fx on my back not picked up by x-ray until years later the pain was so bad they said "why don't we do an MRI?"
Eureka! How was it missed? because normal x-rays didn't pick it up.
A tale of caution; not trying to compare brain pans.
Everyone's experience is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness