U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-23-2010, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,506 posts, read 18,145,960 times
Reputation: 9359

Advertisements

My name is Whyte Byrd and I'm addicted to carrot juice. There. I said it. I can drink 3 glasses of carrot juice each day which comes out to up to 45 carrots total, depending on the size. I was recently informed that that may be too much. Either unbreak my heart and say that's not too much, or tell me, what's the danger and how much carrot juice is too much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2010, 08:10 PM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
2,903 posts, read 11,661,009 times
Reputation: 1821
You'll turn yellowish / orange ... seriously.
Back in the early 90's i craved carrot juice and was drinking about a half gallon a day.
And i didn't turn orange.
So 3 glasses a day isn't that much ... relative to what i was drinking.
I am wondering what you're craving ... is it the sugar? (lots of it in carrot juice) or the Vitamin A?(beta carotene)
Because is has so much sugar it's difficult to discern whether your body is needing the nutrients in the carrots (that beta carotene which you're getting a huge amount of and may need - are you a smoker by the way?) or if you're addicted to the sugar.
Also, i'd suggest you juice some dark rich greens with your carrots ... kale perhaps, parsley (parsley and carrot make an excellent juice).
And i hope you're juicing organic carrots.
(i'm actually craving some carrot juice now)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2010, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,506 posts, read 18,145,960 times
Reputation: 9359
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
You'll turn yellowish / orange ... seriously.
Back in the early 90's i craved carrot juice and was drinking about a half gallon a day.
And i didn't turn orange.
So 3 glasses a day isn't that much ... relative to what i was drinking.
I am wondering what you're craving ... is it the sugar? (lots of it in carrot juice) or the Vitamin A?(beta carotene)
Because is has so much sugar it's difficult to discern whether your body is needing the nutrients in the carrots (that beta carotene which you're getting a huge amount of and may need - are you a smoker by the way?) or if you're addicted to the sugar.
Also, i'd suggest you juice some dark rich greens with your carrots ... kale perhaps, parsley (parsley and carrot make an excellent juice).
And i hope you're juicing organic carrots.
(i'm actually craving some carrot juice now)
Thanks for your response. I love the taste of it is all I thought it was.I do have a slight carrot tan but I don't mind. No, I quit buying the organic because I couldn't find them in big enough bags. I buy 25 # bags. I just wash them real well. I know that's not enough but I have to deal with it for now. I don't want to add anything to it because it changes the taste. But maybe I'll do as you suggest for one glass a day. So, no dangers after all huh? Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2010, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
2,903 posts, read 11,661,009 times
Reputation: 1821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Thanks for your response. I love the taste of it is all I thought it was.I do have a slight carrot tan but I don't mind. No, I quit buying the organic because I couldn't find them in big enough bags. I buy 25 # bags. I just wash them real well. I know that's not enough but I have to deal with it for now. I don't want to add anything to it because it changes the taste. But maybe I'll do as you suggest for one glass a day. So, no dangers after all huh? Thanks again.
Well, Vitamin A is a fat soluble vitamin ... if too much is taken, the body stores it which can be problematic.
Vitamin A & Carotenes - Ask the DietitianĀ®
That link (which i just glanced at) will address these concerns.
I'm not sure if the Vitamin A found in veggies (like carrots which have a huge amount) is a danger if too much is taken.
Fat soluble vitamin supplements are definitely not something to take too much of but from a food source, i'm not sure.
But i think that if your skin is already yellowing, it's an indication that your body is storing it? and this may be an issue.
I'm suspecting that yes, you love the taste, but you also love the sugar in the carrot juice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2010, 11:42 PM
 
Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,506 posts, read 18,145,960 times
Reputation: 9359
Thanks for the link. I guess I'm gonna have to cut back after all. You just broke my heart. I wouldn't call it yellow, more a brownish orange but I'm Indian. I'm not sure about the sugar in them but I know I can't handle carrot juice with fruit in it, that's too sweet for me. I tried it with just part of an apple. Too much. I appreciate your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2010, 09:06 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
1,629 posts, read 2,429,958 times
Reputation: 2412
LMAO You're gonna look radioactive if you keep going!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2010, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,506 posts, read 18,145,960 times
Reputation: 9359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticatica View Post
LMAO You're gonna look radioactive if you keep going!
LOL Just looks like a mini tan--so far. I used to make fresh carrot juice for regular customers daily, some of whom had nice carrot tans. I rather liked the way it looked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2010, 10:38 AM
 
8,415 posts, read 36,083,679 times
Reputation: 6302
My mother told me about old school tanning pills having stuff from carrots in them that turned you orange...lol

They pulled them off the market. Vitamin A is toxic to the system. A major thing it can do is thin your bones. Sometimes bone thinning can't be fixed. The other links talk a little more about it and other things that can go wrong with vitamin A. One is liver damage and with darker skin you have to be careful with liver health. If the yellow from a bad liver is soft/light you may not notice it coming on until you feel like crap and more damage piles up.

Toxicity, Vitamin: eMedicine Emergency Medicine
Too many vitamins 'can damage your health' | Mail Online
Drug-induced liver damage - Vitamin A Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatments and Causes - WrongDiagnosis.com

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Carrots, raw [Includes USDA commodity food A099]
^Nutritional info with a lot of detail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2010, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,506 posts, read 18,145,960 times
Reputation: 9359
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
My mother told me about old school tanning pills having stuff from carrots in them that turned you orange...lol

They pulled them off the market. Vitamin A is toxic to the system. A major thing it can do is thin your bones. Sometimes bone thinning can't be fixed. The other links talk a little more about it and other things that can go wrong with vitamin A. One is liver damage and with darker skin you have to be careful with liver health. If the yellow from a bad liver is soft/light you may not notice it coming on until you feel like crap and more damage piles up.

Toxicity, Vitamin: eMedicine Emergency Medicine
Too many vitamins 'can damage your health' | Mail Online
Drug-induced liver damage - Vitamin A Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatments and Causes - WrongDiagnosis.com

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Carrots, raw [Includes USDA commodity food A099]
^Nutritional info with a lot of detail
Thanks for the links. Yeah, I've been reading a few. It has to be a lot to cause that kind of damage but the question is, what's considered a lot? In healthy doses it's suspected to help prevent many diseases. But they're never clear on what's too much. I don't think that 'they' even know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2010, 10:48 AM
 
8,415 posts, read 36,083,679 times
Reputation: 6302
Well the formula is based on % of the needs of a 2000 calorie diet. So you could customize that to your personal calorie needs if its extremely different than that. But if you read the nutritional info you will see that 1 cup(128g) of carrots have 21383IU or 428% of a 2000 calorie diet need. So a cup of carrots is good enough for 4 days of vitamin A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

Ā© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top