U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2010, 07:35 AM
Tkt Tkt started this thread

44 posts, read 132,679 times

Advertisements

Hello,

The other day my left ear was ringing, for about a half hour. It stopped after that, but my ear was painful for the entire day.

I read somewhere that listening to loud music and/or listening too frequently, can cause permanent hear loss and ear ringing.

And i've also read that a ringing ear for a short period of time is one of the body's "warning signs" that you'r damaging your hearing.

But has any permanent damage been done? Or will my ear heal completely if I stop listening to music? Will I experience ear ringing and/or pain again, even if I stop listening to music?

Thanks ahead for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 07:54 AM

7,079 posts, read 35,125,246 times
If you have ringing in your ears, you've done damage. Whether this is permanent, only time will tell. If you have earphones from an iPod and someone standing next to you can hear the music, it's TOO LOUD. Music doesn't have to be ear-shattering to be appreciated.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:25 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,506 posts, read 18,152,337 times
It could be caused by any number of things, such as fluid in the inner ear which can also lead to vertigo. That's fun. I have tinnitus and it's maddening sometimes. The ringing never stops. I listen to music a lot just to drown it out. You don't have to stop listening to music, just be reasonable with the volume.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:38 AM

1,050 posts, read 3,110,919 times
Any young person looking for a field that will be needed in the not to distant future is audiology. When you hear the booming of the music in the car next to you and you and they have all the windows up, can you imagine the damage that is done to the ears??
My husband was in a head on collision and when the airbag deployed the boom from that was enough to cause tinnitius. His ringing is constant, but he copes with it. I am looking into the product "Quietus". It is supposed to help.
If anyone is having trouble sleeping with this problem, using a sound machine or a floor fan helps.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:10 AM

8,415 posts, read 36,089,612 times
If it was from the music it would be coming on right after the music. I have had light ear infections that are like that. (self resolve) The s.o. plaid music for a living and has perm. hearing loss.

MP3 Players: How Loud Is Too Loud? -- Acoustic Study Shows Safe Listening Levels
^^^reading

BBC NEWS | Health | Loud noises 'bad for the heart'
^^^ life examples of what decible levels sound like
One is pretty funny because I guess pigs eating is too loud for ears? LOL

Old 02-24-2010, 10:26 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,506 posts, read 18,152,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
If it was from the music it would be coming on right after the music. I have had light ear infections that are like that. (self resolve) The s.o. plaid music for a living and has perm. hearing loss.

MP3 Players: How Loud Is Too Loud? -- Acoustic Study Shows Safe Listening Levels
^^^reading

BBC NEWS | Health | Loud noises 'bad for the heart'
^^^ life examples of what decible levels sound like
One is pretty funny because I guess pigs eating is too loud for ears? LOL
It can happen that way but not necessarily. It can also occur over time. This is a terrible thought but when I think of hearing loss I often think I'd rather be blind. I couldn't stand to be without my music. Sorry, I digressed.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:44 AM

8,415 posts, read 36,089,612 times
It can happen for a lot of reasons but with loud noises the damage usually comes on fast. Its why your ears ring after a concert, but you get office people getting the ringing with age and being in the work enviroment for an extended time.
Hearing impairment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-24-2010, 11:09 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,642,744 times
If you have pain or ringing after loud noise you have already done permanent damage to your ears, but how much and what kind might not be apparent for many years, even decades. The best you can do is try to avoid further damage. Most people are very careless with their hearing, and will pay down the road.

Avoid ear buds, headphones are a little better but you still need to be careful. Even sound levels that don't seem too loud can be damaging. Always take earplugs to concerts or loud car events, even if you are not close. You can pick up the disposable foam ones very cheap, or you can pay more for better ones that don't distort sound so much. Gun stores are a good place to look. In a pinch, wadded napkins or cigarette filters are better than nothing.

Take care!

Old 02-24-2010, 12:20 PM

6,368 posts, read 14,324,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
My husband was in a head on collision and when the airbag deployed the boom from that was enough to cause tinnitius. His ringing is constant, but he copes with it. I am looking into the product "Quietus". It is supposed to help.
If anyone is having trouble sleeping with this problem, using a sound machine or a floor fan helps.
I've had tinnitus for a number of years now. Too many rock concerts and too many laps in a racecar back in the younger days. Anyway, I asked my ENT just last week about Quietus. He just smiled and said 'save your money'.

He did recommend taking thiamine (vitamin B1). He tells me he's been getting some positive feedback from his patients. It's worth a try. Here's a link with lots of info. Good luck to your husband.

Tinnitus: Online Reference for Health Concerns

Old 02-24-2010, 04:47 PM

6,318 posts, read 15,786,081 times
I see an 80s cover band every week, and I bring ear plugs with me every time. There is some off and on ringing in my left ear - not too bad now, but that's my warning sign. If I ignore it, I'll be one of those people at age 60: "WHAT? WHAT? STOP MUMBLING!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness