U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 05:52 PM
Status: "I do not think it means what you think it means" (set 9 days ago)

13,615 posts, read 22,499,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
There are several older people like this around where I live. Many of the younger generation are dying of cancer, stroke, and heart attacks, but these older legends live on in great health. Could it be because they never began a chain of prescription drugs?
I bet they didn't have their moms chasing them with Clorox wipes and buying anti bacterial soap pumps by the case either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 05:56 PM

634 posts, read 2,354,352 times
My thought on this eating healthy process is this-

Eat right, exercise, die anyway

As long as I'm here, I might as well be happy. Life's too short to eat crappy tasting food and be miserable.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:02 PM

3,099 posts, read 8,437,971 times
Quote:
Life's too short to eat crappy tasting food and be miserable.
Good philosophy! I like that attitude. Liz

Old 06-01-2007, 06:03 PM

485 posts, read 1,537,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I bet they didn't have their moms chasing them with Clorox wipes and buying anti bacterial soap pumps by the case either.
Hilarious and right on target.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:29 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,032,214 times
Thanks for the smiles everyone! I needed that today after my little run in with what I will now call the Food Police. Fortunately I am not the only one at work who feels this way. I mentioned it to another person because I was just so ticked and when I told her she rolled her eyes and completely agreed. Ah well, they will always exist.

I remember a comment my mom once made back when I was a teenager (in the 80s). She was berating me because my self-esteem was very low and the only girls I dated or was good friends with was overweight girls. "Why do you always go for the fat girls? Do you think that's all you can get?" She would say. If you want her address or phone number to smack her just pm me. That was a long time ago but words like that unfortunately stick with you. And when we go back to visit we're all watched like hawks on how much we eat. My parents ALWAYS comment on what was and wasn't eaten by me, my wife and my siblings and their families. Uh, yeah we're headed back for Thanksgiving. Maybe I should tell her I'll be bringing my own bird as I could probably consume a 15 lb. bird by myself! Just to get her. Unfortunately she'd laugh and say "go ahead".

Again, thank you all for bringing up my spirits today. It's been a rough week with coming off vacation and having some heavy decisions hit me and my wife. Nothing bad, just big stuff. You all rock. I love C-D'ers!!

Old 06-01-2007, 07:44 PM

3,099 posts, read 8,437,971 times
Quote:
That was a long time ago but words like that unfortunately stick with you. And when we go back to visit we're all watched like hawks on how much we eat. My parents ALWAYS comment on what was and wasn't eaten by me, my wife and my siblings and their families.
It's amazing how family, while trying to be helpful, actually hinder our personal growth and self esteem.

My grandmother, who was saying it in my best interest, cost me YEARS of self esteem. Her comment when I was between 10-20 was "you have such a pretty face IF you only you would lost weight". Which implied to me that I was not pretty. I was in my late 30's before my self esteem got well enough for me to face what she said back then.

So I tried to raise my dd with a good body image. I refused to even OWN a scale until she moved out of the house at 19. We went by the fit of clothes. And how we felt.

When she was 11, and had the typical body of a healthy 11 year old (as in no waist cause it hadn't developed yet), she was taking 15 hours of ballet a week. Then she went to her grandparents to see her mom. Came back in tears. ALL they could tell her all weekend was how FAT she was getting. Trouble is, it was all muscle and the doctor we saw right after that tried to tell her.

It took her mom and grandparents one weekend to ruin what it took me and her dad almost a year to build up...her self esteem. Liz

Old 06-01-2007, 08:58 PM

18,434 posts, read 30,165,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Its also true that at one time the record companies (remember 45's and LP's) were in cahoots with the makers of stereos. If you are old enough you will recall that the tracks on those were always of a different loudness so you invariably had either turn it up or down depending. This action accelerated the wearing out of the knobs on the player, requiring you to replace them at an increased rate. The record companies got a percentage of all sales.
Oh, I so KNEW you were gonn a bring that up tek

Old 06-01-2007, 10:42 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,556,011 times
Healthy people don't annoy me at all. I envy them because they have self-control and will power and I lack in those areas when it comes to eating and exercising. I'm pretty good, but I leave a lot to be desired, such as hot fudge sundaes, chips, pizza, and junk food in general.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:11 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,995,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
The next time healthnut comes up to you with some snarky comment, you could mention to him that perhaps the fact that he's depriving his body of sugar is making him turn into a neurotic and anti-social jacka**. If he scoffs, you can tell him that the brain cannot function without carbs, which is what sugar is.
I get plenty of carbs. Wayyyyyyy plenty. I got a sweet tooth in my old age.

I wonder what could be causing MY brain problems then????

Old 06-02-2007, 03:25 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,995,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLu108 View Post
Darn it! I forgot the mayo!

Yes, definitely mayo as well! But I am not Paula, I'm just her long lost illegitimate daughter! One day I gotta tell her.........

And just to add to my post to Karla as well, the biscuits....um, best made with LARD, yes, I said LARD! And buttermilk of course......

Yeah, I'm not a health nut for sure.....but I may be a little nuts in general speaking......

Uhhh... I think you missed a couple of the little faces there Lulu.

You know what....my EX LOVES pork. Stewed, smoked, fried, whatever. He would live on pork (and he probably does now that we are not together), BUT he also cooks with the pork fat. It's actually really good but I'm not as big a pig as he is.

Anyway, his answer to me was always... In Cuba, people eat pork and use the fat every day and everybody is healthy.

My response was... I am not in Cuba AND in Cuba, they don't feed all the extra crap to fatten the animals, people either have to ride bicycles or walk to get anywhere (exercise) and they don't have all the other good stuff that we have here, so YOU eat your pork and leave me alone with my chocolate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or